My first saltwater tank!

jadwv2210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've finally gotten around to starting a build thread on my first ever saltwater tank.

When I was a little kid we always had a freshwater tank until the fish finally all got old and died and my parents lost interest in it.

I've started my own tank this time but I decided to go saltwater since I've never had the chance to see a lot of the fish from the ocean. And who can resist the look of all those amazing corals?

I purchased a 40 Gallon Breeder from the pet store and built my own stand for it that I stained black.

My equipment is as follows

Trigger Systems Ruby 30 Sump
Aqua Medic DC Runner 3.0 return
Finnex HMO-200W heater
Hydor Koralia 600GPH power head
Reef Breeders Photon 32 LED fixture

I think soon I'm going to get a Skimz Monster Mini protein skimmer as well.

I just got my first fish in today. Two ocellaris clownfish. They're in my 10 gallon quarantine setup for now.

No coral yet but I'm thinking on what I'd like to get first.

Now for the pictures!

Initial aqua scape
WrfRs6n.jpg

Final aqua scape and filled with water
nBVGQjv.jpg

Lights on
XOOc6bL.jpg

Clowns in QT
A5iRA0m.jpg

Last edited:

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef. 40 breeders are the best can't wait to see how it turns out:)

OP
OP
jadwv2210

jadwv2210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I though so too. I like how they are wider than they are tall.

Images fixed finally lol.

OP
OP
jadwv2210

jadwv2210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, are you using all Dry rock?
Yes, I purchased 50lbs of Reef Saver dry rock from BRS and added Biospira and live sand a little over a month ago. I tested my levels the other day and got 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, and 2 ppm nitrate so the tank is ready for a fish!

They have to stay in QT for now though. :)

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you're doing everything right. You're a patient person. Going to be sweet.:)

OP
OP
jadwv2210

jadwv2210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you're doing everything right. You're a patient person. Going to be sweet.:)
I've done tons of research the past few months. Everyone kept asking me if I was ever going to get a fish haha. I'm excited to get some coral now too.

TD13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just take everything nice and slow! The only thing that happen quick in this hobby are bad things! Ask it's of questions and read anything you can!

OP
OP
jadwv2210

jadwv2210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!

Looks good! How's the light workout so far?

The light is pretty good. I haven't gotten any corals yet so I'm not sure how well it grows things but it is of decent quality and I haven't had any issues with it. The only thing that wasn't as planned was the 32 inch fixture will not mount onto a 40 breeder with the tank mount legs. You have to cut them shorter in order for the fixture to fit. I did a short review of it here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fixture-for-a-40-breeder.215364/page-2#post-2474589

I'm not sure if I would purchase the fixture again if I had it to do over though.

OP
OP
jadwv2210

jadwv2210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been able to get them to eat yet. I got them on Saturday and fed them later that day and they picked up the food but spit it back out immediately. I waited a day and tried again on Monday but they didn't even pay attention to the food.

I think these guys have flukes because I've been watching them and they twitch violently at times. The little one has also been running his head on the PVC pipe.

A good example of why quarantine is a good idea!

Luckily I've got prazipro and cupramine on hand as soon as I can get them to eat.

Reeferjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been able to get them to eat yet. I got them on Saturday and fed them later that day and they picked up the food but spit it back out immediately. I waited a day and tried again on Monday but they didn't even pay attention to the food.

I think these guys have flukes because I've been watching them and they twitch violently at times. The little one has also been running his head on the PVC pipe.

A good example of why quarantine is a good idea!

Luckily I've got prazipro and cupramine on hand as soon as I can get them to eat.
Look for ick !

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back