My first tang possibly sick?

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been waiting almost a year and finally got my first tang but its not acting like any fish ive had previous.

When I got it the tang was pulled out of a big tank so I'm not really sure which one I got. I don't know how it was swimming or acting before. All the fish in tank looked healthy.

Im doing Tank transfer method for quarantine and did a 20min float acclimation then added, all normal.

Once released the fish swam for a second then lay on the bottom wedged between pvc , anytime it wasn't moving it will flip upside down or seem unable to balance.

I called the lfs and they pretty much said it was fine when I left and see how it acts next couple days.

These videos are from start of day 3

Still acting like its unable to keep balance.it has been eating shrimp though.

Any help appreciated im a total newb.

Cory
20190311_151106.jpeg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually all normal behavior for a blue hippo. They aren't like any other tang behaviorally.

It will probably hide most of the time being the sole fish in QT. Reef fish that don't see any other fish think that is a warning sign for a predator being near. In the wild they are on the reef with thousands of fish and if no other fish are around that is a signal.

If he's coming out to eat you don't have anything to worry about.

OP
OP
COCOBBALL

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually all normal behavior for a blue hippo. They aren't like any other tang behaviorally.

It will probably hide most of the time being the sole fish in QT. Reef fish that don't see any other fish think that is a warning sign for a predator being near. In the wild they are on the reef with thousands of fish and if no other fish are around that is a signal.

If he's coming out to eat you don't have anything to worry about.
Ok thats a huge relief! The hiding didnt scare me but the constant turning over was something ive never seen.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thats a huge relief! The hiding didnt scare me but the constant turning over was something ive never seen.
They are crazy fish, they wedge themselves in between stuff, lay on their sides etc all the time. They have a ton of personality and are fun to watch.

They are the only tang that it's normal for, any other tang laying on it's side is not a good sign.

OP
OP
COCOBBALL

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are crazy fish, they wedge themselves in between stuff, lay on their sides etc all the time. They have a ton of personality and are fun to watch.

They are the only tang that it's normal for, any other tang laying on it's side is not a good sign.
Still not convinced something is wrong. The fish cant stay upright.

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems to fix himself, but while he is out you could feed him nori soaked in vitachem that you know whether or not he is eating it.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's unusual to be upside down like that in a pipe but as said, hippo tangs are unusual fish in general. Seeing the other videos, I am not convinced there is anything seriously wrong with the fish's ability to swim. It does appear to be a stressed fish, however.

OP
OP
COCOBBALL

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help and taking the time to look everyone.

My lfs seems annoyed when i have questions and this forum has been amazing, I probably would of given up by now without you.

So of stress is the cause or maybe unable to position correctly...

Would it be better to give him a larger u shaped pvc like ive seen in other QT videos online? Rather than a staight pipe

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help and taking the time to look everyone.

My lfs seems annoyed when i have questions and this forum has been amazing, I probably would of given up by now without you.

So of stress is the cause or maybe unable to position correctly...

Would it be better to give him a larger u shaped pvc like ive seen in other QT videos online? Rather than a staight pipe

I am not an expert on Tangs by any means, but my Purple and Powder Blue Tangs seem to like the curved PVC better than the straight ones for some reason.

Also, if your LFS gets annoyed when you ask them questions, you may want to find a better LFS, (if you can). That's part of their job to answer their customers questions.

OP
OP
COCOBBALL

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is fine. He is trying to wedge in a crevice but can't. An elbow is better than a straight fitting. But also just let him chill out.
So it came time for my first tank transfer. He was swimming out in the open for a good 2-3mim before going back to hiding.

I got the curved pvc maybe he will like it more.

From my untrained eye he looked pretty good. I did notice some discolor on the bottom but didnt look serious enough to consider an issue.

Please open to any comments or suggestions. this is my first fish quarantine and first tang.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with others that this fish is simply a bit stressed. I don't see any abnormalities in the video.

mobehtaReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been waiting almost a year and finally got my first tang but its not acting like any fish ive had previous.

When I got it the tang was pulled out of a big tank so I'm not really sure which one I got. I don't know how it was swimming or acting before. All the fish in tank looked healthy.

Im doing Tank transfer method for quarantine and did a 20min float acclimation then added, all normal.

Once released the fish swam for a second then lay on the bottom wedged between pvc , anytime it wasn't moving it will flip upside down or seem unable to balance.

I called the lfs and they pretty much said it was fine when I left and see how it acts next couple days.

These videos are from start of day 3

Still acting like its unable to keep balance.it has been eating shrimp though.

Any help appreciated im a total newb.

Cory
20190311_151106.jpeg

I just got myself one as well and was waiting on line for my lfs after the bugger almost gave me a heart attack laying on d side in the transfer bucket as i acclimatize....while waiting,I came on here and saw your post...ohhhhh what a relief it is

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back