My first Tank and i'm going full DIY

Zachary Newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me just start this off with my plan to build my own sump. I had gotten a pre drilled 40 gallon aquarium from a relocating fish store. My plan is to use the current holes and plum my own set up with my own personally built sump. So i'm here asking advise on how big I should go with my sump, what return pump is recommended, and in general opinions and conversation about the plan. I'm also curious of where to purchase equipment that would be good on price as i'm fresh out of college and not looking to spend much. However, don't be deceived, with graduation comes graduation money and funding the tank and maintaining it will not be a problem, as I also work full time and am very close with multiple LFS's in my area. Here's my current list of things I will be getting before I add any livestock.

Submersible Pump
Heater
Tank Stand
Lid/top
Lighting
Protein Skimmer
Media Reactor
Live Rock

Atxreefer32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pump you want 10X the tank size for Gph so 400 Gph is what you are looking for for turnover more than that if you want to do sps corals as they like high flow rates heater just a basic heater in the sump should be ok for 40gal live rock is general rule of thumb 1lbs=1gal so 40lbs tank and stand you can build or marine depot is good and sump is generally 1/3 of your tank size but make sure all your equipment will fit

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pump you want 10X the tank size for Gph so 400 Gph is what you are looking for for turnover ...

While there is a lot of debate about turnover rate, one thing that is not in debate is head loss. If you get a 400Gph pump, it's not going to be 400Gph at the actual tank (assuming your sump is not some how above your tank).

OP
OP
Z

Zachary Newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i'm still debating on the size sump i'm going to use. I was gonna do a 20H but i want something with more space for extra media. Although I am looking at hang on the side skimmers and reactors.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back