My First tank and Marine setup. Needs answers please I’m so unsure.

Adz_SuFc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I’m looking at getting a Fluval Evo 52L. Is this a good choice as I only have small space in where I can put a tank.I have read some forums about the filtration on the tank and most people are saying the stock filtration is terrible. Also the Evaporation is bad? And should a use a skimmer or not.
so my questions are...
Is this a good tank for a beginner?
stock filtration or the Intank media baskets?
Shall I use the skimmer or not?
Shall I get a Auto top up? if so which one will fit?
What wave maker or power head shall I get?
Is the stock return pump enough?

also I was going to get live sand and rock is this a good idea? And how much of each do I need for the tank?
Thank you for the help in advance and please bear with me.

DomiD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the evo 52l and loved the tank as a beginer tank it's difficult to say as it's a nano tank it's easy for things to go wrong quickly bigger the better I had the skimmer on mine

But if that fits in space you have available then I say go for it

in terms of test kit dont get the api it is very hit and miss I would say salifert or red sea which is what I use but there quiet a few decent ones

have you thought about what stock you are looking to put in the evo?

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there is some debate on if as a new person you should go big or small. Points can be made for both. However, if you want to start small there is nothing saying you can't it will just take a little bit more dedication in testing. Small is also good because you will spend less on equipment. However, one thing with small is it will really limit the type and number of fish you can have.

I have both a sump tank and an AIO. With an AIO I would start with the stock get use to the tank and then upgrade as you need.

Depending on what you have in there will depend on if you need a skimmer, and if you plan to do a refugium. Small skimmers tend to not work as well, I have a small one on my 30 gallon and it's very hard to fine tune it and get good skimmate out of it.

YES, get an ATO. BRS has some nano ATOs that would be good.

For PH again this will depend on what you want. If you want corals, depending on their flow needs will help you. There is a good video on BRS about flow and turnover rate I would watch that. Also here is a good article on here about it that I found useful when planing my equipment list for return pump and PH

For test kits I really like salifert for most things. They aren't crazy expense, fairly accurate, and once you figure out how to test pretty simple.

OP
OP
A

Adz_SuFc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to get a couple of clowns, a CUC which I’m unsure on and how many I would need. Also a few corals?

I will be getting a cabinet for the tank so would it be better to get a sump for it?

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 52l would be about 13.5 gallons, so I would say
5 or 6 throchus snails
5 to 6 hermits (small ones, like blue legged)
4 or 5 nassarius snails
10+ dwarf ceith snails

A good refernce for stocking would be the reef cleaners website. Specifically, their cleaner crew packages. They have snail only, snails plus hermits, rimless tank crews, and snails plus hermits plus emerald crabs.

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm not familiar with the Evo, I think its important to understand what you are looking to achieve with your tank in order to provide the best advice. Are you going go live rock and fish only or do you plan to add corals? And if so what corals are your interested in? Return pump size, and water flow with wave makers have different answers based on what you are looking to do. The challenge with a small tank like this is that problems can happen fast. Meaning that you'll have to stay on top of things. First and foremost I'd be looking at your water source and how you will be topping off. I think your first investment in a reef tank should be an RO/DI system. Despite your tank being under 14 gallons, between top off and water changes you will be surprised how much RODI water you go through. Take a look at your spacing and see if you can implement an RODI system. As far as ATO, take a look at auto aqua micro. I use it for a 40breeder QT tank and it works great.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to get a couple of clowns, a CUC which I’m unsure on and how many I would need. Also a few corals?

I will be getting a cabinet for the tank so would it be better to get a sump for it?
Its an AIO, so if you have the correct filter media you should be fine. I had Corallife Biocube 16 for about a year (it sprung an irreparable leak so I had to throw it away and moved everything to a 29 gallon), and I had no filtration issues with it.

With my current 29 gallon, I purchased a Fiji Cube AIO Kit to use for filtration, and I have no issue with my parameters, algae, or cloudy water. Helps that I have an ATO to keep the water level constant, which prevents salinty swings. I do dose about once, maybe twice a week, mostly to replace calcium as that always drains faster for me than magnesium or alkalinity. But I never have any problems and my corals and fish are better than ever. (Click my build thread badge if you want to see my setup)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back