0   0   0
That some nice bubble algae you got going on there:),

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it run its course. With the move, ich battle, water changes it looks like you are almost done with a cycle. Is anything abnormal with parameters? I testing today to see how my battle with nitrate is going. Last night my Mexican turbo were out attaching my hair algae. I did not know I had 4 and those guy have been eating well, two were almost the size of golf balls. Have you ever glued frags to glass? I keep trying to glue and honeysuckle lito to the bottom of the glass in the middle of the tank and it keeps coming lose.

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it run its course. With the move, ich battle, water changes it looks like you are almost done with a cycle. Is anything abnormal with parameters? I testing today to see how my battle with nitrate is going. Last night my Mexican turbo were out attaching my hair algae. I did not know I had 4 and those guy have been eating well, two were almost the size of golf balls. Have you ever glued frags to glass? I keep trying to glue and honeysuckle lito to the bottom of the glass in the middle of the tank and it keeps coming lose.
epoxy might work better for gluing. Tank was reading 0 for ammonia and nitrites on Mar. 18. I did pull those 2 rocks out last week and let them sit out of tank for 2 hours so the epoxy would stick better. There's some hair algae forming on rougher edges of rock I toothbrush off every couple of days. I'm going to remove the dino rock today, brush it off in a bucket of SW and spray some peroxide on it, let soak for 7 minutes, then return. It's been a rough start for sure, but I'm not going to quit!!! Part of the hobby I guess... Every battle I overcome makes me a stronger and more knowledgeable reefer.

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correctio: 0 readings on Mar. 25. Just took out my testing stuff and reviewed some notes.

@jsker, I'm curious if your nitrates went down w/ vacuuming?????

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO3-25 (up 10 ppm prob from some die off from the rocks, want it at 5)
PO4-.027 (YES!!! right where I want it!)
Alk-9.3 dkh (stable)
calc-420 (added a 1/2 tsp of Kent liquid calc to bring it up to 440 ppm)
Mag-1290 (low for my liking, added 1/2 c. Kent Tech M to bring it up to 1340)
Temp-79
SG-35 ppt
I'm still running a fully saturated solution of kalkwasser through my ATO

Bumped up my lights to 2x coral +, purple+, and actinic to 70% 9 hours a day with 1 hour ramp up/down, so 7 hours at 70% (heading for 100% slowly).
2x coral + 7 hours a day w/ 30 min ramp up/down at beginning and end for 6 hours at 35%

Looks like dinos, turf algae, or cyano. Brown stuff on sand and glass along with some bubble stuff, maybe not bubblles attached to strings, but yesterday was the first day, so hard to tell. I'm dosing 1 ml peroxide per 10 gallons, so 8 ml peroxide a day. Going to take out the large rock and brush off algae in a bucket of fresh SW, then peroxide spray it and let soak for 7 minutes and return to tank.

Recharging my Purigen and will put it in my reactor on Tuesday when I change out the media.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correctio: 0 readings on Mar. 25. Just took out my testing stuff and reviewed some notes.

@jsker, I'm curious if your nitrates went down w/ vacuuming?????
I will find that out in about 4 hours when I do my tests. I thing you and @brandon429 hit on something with the vacuuming. I pulled out two really dirty buckets of water yesterday, and clean my filter socks yesterday evening.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO3-25 (up 10 ppm prob from some die off from the rocks, want it at 5)
PO4-.027 (YES!!! right where I want it!)
Alk-9.3 dkh (stable)
calc-420 (added a 1/2 tsp of Kent liquid calc to bring it up to 440 ppm)
Mag-1290 (low for my liking, added 1/2 c. Kent Tech M to bring it up to 1340)
Temp-79
SG-35 ppt
I'm still running a fully saturated solution of kalkwasser through my ATO

Bumped up my lights to 2x coral +, purple+, and actinic to 70% 9 hours a day with 1 hour ramp up/down, so 7 hours at 70% (heading for 100% slowly).
2x coral + 7 hours a day w/ 30 min ramp up/down at beginning and end for 6 hours at 35%

Looks like dinos, turf algae, or cyano. Brown stuff on sand and glass along with some bubble stuff, maybe not bubblles attached to strings, but yesterday was the first day, so hard to tell. I'm dosing 1 ml peroxide per 10 gallons, so 8 ml peroxide a day. Going to take out the large rock and brush off algae in a bucket of fresh SW, then peroxide spray it and let soak for 7 minutes and return to tank.

Recharging my Purigen and will put it in my reactor on Tuesday when I change out the media.

When you get the 1+2+3 you will have to dump the kalwasser or the alk will go through the roof. Yes one you get your Mg were you want it the 1+2+3 will hold it steady. another reason for testing today is to see if I increased my dose right for the new water volume with the sump.

It looks and sounds like you system is cycling, not like a new cycle but a minor one. I am going to let the turbos clean my rock, that crew need something to eat and last time in had a hair algae outbreak the cleaning crew took about two week to clean everything up.

I am going to post a video unedited and my LUX reading also later.

I will check in later:) I am doing a nap today. Pollen is really high today, and this is an excuse for a siesta. The cats enjoy the siesta so much:D

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vacuum my sand bed every week and every week the water is very cloudy

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vacuum my sand bed every week and every week the water is very cloudy
Going to do the same thing from now on. the water was brown cloudy and there was a lot of brown sludge in the bottom of the bucket

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like pictures. I just realized that I haven't had many photos up lately. Been going through some tank drama, so here come some fun ones!

IMG_8919.JPG

IMG_8921.JPG

IMG_9235.JPG

IMG_9239.JPG

IMG_9241.JPG

IMG_9242.JPG

IMG_9259.JPG

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What skimmer do you have? I looks like my RLSS R5-i

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom coral is really cool looking. What is it? So many questions today from me..

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WWC had a bunch of stick rock over at the store yesterday. Some sticks would look good in there.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice bowfront tank man:rolleyes:

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom coral is really cool looking. What is it? So many questions today from me..
thats a rock anemone. came in as a hitchhiker about the size of a quarter and clear looking. Now its a very dark red and will expand up to 3 inches.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back