OP
OP
B

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinal fish has a thick layer of mucus coming off it now and is swimming less and less. I cycled the tank for a month slowly adding fish

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you read English? I said new tank like his, fish dying is just very norm
Ya, I unnerstan English
Do you understand the point I was trying to make?
Not everyone with a new tank needs to lose fish, and you shouldn't be telling people with new tanks to expect deaths.

OP
OP
B

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really want to thank everyone for the advice. I am working on setting up a qt soon. Any thoughts on what disease it is now that I have a pic of an infected fish? Just sucks cause the fish we doing so good just started some coral got 2 lights for the coral and bam algae bloom and bam probably all dead fish now. So ticked but it's my fault.

YaboiNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank still look pretty new, just a little bit of diatom, plus u said tank still have nitrite which is toxic for fishes. Get some bacteria to dose, and treat the fish with anti biotic, hope it will help

OP
OP
B

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I unnerstan English
Not everyone with a new tank needs to lose fish, and you shouldn't be telling people with new tanks to expect deaths.
Hadn't lost any fish until this outbreak. Man it was a bad one though.

YaboiNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ya, I unnerstan English
Lol, keep thinking that way, in this hobby, u don’t learn anything if you don’t have any loss.

OP
OP
B

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have thoughts on the cardinal fish. It was the best pic I could get. Swimming very erratic and lots of mucus hanging off now. Looks quite discolored.

OP
OP
B

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ok to keep adding coral to the dt if my fish are all in qt and I am waiting 6 weeks for the tank to finish cycling this bug out?

Miklo_Miklo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be writing this but I am not sure what else to do I am getting tons of different stories from 3 lfs. I bought a anthias to add to the tank drip acclimated him and put him in. Did good for 4 days then stopped eating and died a day later. Took him back and lfs said he was probably stressed. A week later my purple dottyback started acting weird and started hiding and not eating. Dead a day later. No discoloration really or signs of ich or velvet. A week later my tomini tangs also acts wired eyes look cloudy next day dead. He looked like he might have some white spots so I gave him a freshwater dip and mucus came off when I put him back in the tank but when he died I did not see any spots or lesions. Following day white clownfish ate in the morning boom dead in the afternoon. I checked my parameters nothing is wrong salt level 1.025 nitrites 20 and no amonia. I only have 1 clownfish a cardinal who now also has cloudy eyes and seems to be acting weird and a wrasse. This is in a 75 gallon tank with 2 gsps, zoa and an anemone. I don't know what to do. I haven't changed anything and none of the pics of disease I see look like my fish and for them to die so quick?? Please help!
Your nitrates and nitrites might be too high

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its ok bud just slow down next time. Do a wc if you can and ride this out. Wait. No more livestock.
D

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really want to thank everyone for the advice. I am working on setting up a qt soon. Any thoughts on what disease it is now that I have a pic of an infected fish? Just sucks cause the fish we doing so good just started some coral got 2 lights for the coral and bam algae bloom and bam probably all dead fish now. So ticked but it's my fault.
Unfortunately there are a couple things you are battling here. Lack of knowledge/implementation is the biggest.
Starting a new tank takes time and adding fish needs to be done after your rock/sand is cycled with enough bacteria to support the fish/corals/inverts etc.
Not saying your tank was too new, but it's suspect.
Personally, I think you bought an infected fish and it's wiping out the rest.

Moving forward, you may need to consider going without fish for 11 or 12 weeks to ensure you have mostly starved out whatever infection may have been introduced to your system.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was a combination of both. The lfs tried to sell him shrimp to.clean his tank. He is being had.
D

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank still look pretty new, just a little bit of diatom, plus u said tank still have nitrite which is toxic for fishes. Get some bacteria to dose, and treat the fish with anti biotic, hope it will help
Nitrite is not toxic to SW fish

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the 2nd picture. Can u get another one of the power heads? Turn the heater vertical and corner. The flow will even the heat. Get a big open hob filter to replace your canister. Hths ya
D

YaboiNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
dang I didn’t know nitrite is not toxic to saltwater fish but here is what google say. May be u can get a Nobel prize to prove that wrong

Attachments

• D0DB8E0A-4C3A-45BB-AF67-2FE5DF9CD37D.jpeg
    D0DB8E0A-4C3A-45BB-AF67-2FE5DF9CD37D.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 139
OP
OP
B

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang I didn’t know nitrite is not toxic to saltwater fish but here is what google say. May be u can get a Nobel prize to prove that wrong
Woke up and the last clownfish was stuck to the power head. Cardinal clinging to life but not looking good

OP
OP
B

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown had some mucus coming off but no white spots.

Attachments

• PXL_20210227_131441948.mp4
    37.7 MB

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back