OP
OP
B

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the wrasse some copper safe and made a temporary qt tank out of a tupperware tote threw new water and air stone and put him in. Still alive we will see. I am working on getting a qt tank. Is a 20 gallon qt tank ok?? Should I put anything in the qt tank? I know the wrasse will probably be in there a while. At least 2 months.
Really want to thank everyone!

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my man. check this out for all your needs

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2" is probably good. From the pictures it looked like less than 1". Goes to show pictures are sometimes hard to judge by for rock and sand.
Okay so bloom was after the anthias. Then my educated guess was the anthias brought in a disease or parasite and the algae bloom combined pulled some o2 out of the environment causing some stress. The fish then spiraled as we say. More stress, more disease, deaths (also causing water changes with deaths).
QT would probably have saved the system from the disease, but a few fish still may have struggled with the bloom depending on if the o2 was low.
Glad you are getting a qt set up and also for the wrasse. Good bucket of sand in qt for the wrasse and some meds and hopefully he/she pulls through and you can begin with fish again in a few months.

OP
OP
B

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2" is probably good. From the pictures it looked like less than 1". Goes to show pictures are sometimes hard to judge by for rock and sand.
Okay so bloom was after the anthias. Then my educated guess was the anthias brought in a disease or parasite and the algae bloom combined pulled some o2 out of the environment causing some stress. The fish then spiraled as we say. More stress, more disease, deaths (also causing water changes with deaths).
QT would probably have saved the system from the disease, but a few fish still may have struggled with the bloom depending on if the o2 was low.
Glad you are getting a qt set up and also for the wrasse. Good bucket of sand in qt for the wrasse and some meds and hopefully he/she pulls through and you can begin with fish again in a few months.
Can I keep adding corals to the main tank?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. If you want to eliminate any chance of ich getting in, you need to qt everything. If you want to manage it, yes, you can add them after a good dip and inspection.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I keep adding corals to the main tank?

Put the breaks on!

You are dealing with a complete die-off of your fish. Based on the information here, it is likely disease driven.

And while this may not effect corals, why would you add anything to an unhealthy tank? This is why I said in an earlier post that you need to work on your patience.

So if it were my tank, I would not add anything until the disease has been eradicated.

OP
OP
B

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the breaks on!

You are dealing with a complete die-off of your fish. Based on the information here, it is likely disease driven.

And while this may not effect corals, why would you add anything to an unhealthy tank? This is why I said in an earlier post that you need to work on your patience.

So if it were my tank, I would not add anything until the disease has been eradicated.
Lol sorry sorry I'll hold up. It was just awesome seeing the tank with life and corals growing!!

OP
OP
B

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously everyone thank you very much for all the help. I hope to be able to return the favor some day and to hopefully be able to send some pics in a couple of months of a healthy thriving tank. With a fish or two living in it. But I will definitely wait a couple months qt everything and take it slow.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how long u been in the hobby, but u should know his system still have nitrite plus the amount of fishes he keep adding, things dying is very normal. Fishes at lfs are already stressed, in that new tank with nitrite how can they live and potential disease will show up that a certain thing

Nitrite isnt really toxic in saltwater, that is a freshwater issue.

Here is a reliable source with an explanation but it basically has to do with chloride in seawater out competing nitrite for the same uptake.

Fish may die in a new tank if there is ammonia present or parasites/disease present (not all fish properly QT) or aggression/stress issues.

All of these things can be avoided and fish won't simply die in a new tank because its 'new'. Except for those fish that need natural grazing such as a mandarin.

Last edited:

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Slow and steady always wins the race! We're all rooting for you!

Attachments

• kR6jwhI4fGN4OeRvp1.gif
    kR6jwhI4fGN4OeRvp1.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
OP
OP
B

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow and steady always wins the race! We're all rooting for you!
Just wanted to let everyone know that the qt tank is up. Treated with copper and the wrasse is still alive at the moment. Hopefully he will make it. I have decided to name him Uno bc like the game he's my last fish

OP
OP
B

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone is still on the thread but qt tank is up and running. Got a 15 gallon and treated with copper wrasse is alive and well. Cannot believe it. Letting the other tank sit for 2 months before I bring in new fish

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you luck! Definitely a good idea to wait the 2 months before adding. Judging by your pic on the first page, that tank looks closer to 4 days old than 4 months.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin is about the safest with the wrasse. I would say CP, but wrasses do not tolerate it well. If you can get formalin, that is the way to go. I use it in qt. Just make sure it is in date. It is no good after 6 months. Glad to here she is doing well so far.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back