My fish are all dying

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear the wrasse is still kicking man! Just looked through the thread and watched that video, such a beautiful fish. Hoping for the best

OP
OP
B

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin is about the safest with the wrasse. I would say CP, but wrasses do not tolerate it well. If you can get formalin, that is the way to go. I use it in qt. Just make sure it is in date. It is no good after 6 months. Glad to here she is doing well so far.
Would I do a dip or put new water in the qt and add it. The qt water currently has copper in it. Unless I can mix them but I highly doubt that.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT mix them. I actually have always used formalin in the tank itself and not as a dip. Two reasons: easier on me, easier on the fish (stress of catch-dip-catch). On a super sick fish, I would dip. I was sucessful saving anthias from brook with formalin in tank and they were pretty sick, but I should probably have dipped. Now, you have to remember that formalin will zap the o2 in the water. So, get an air stone and air pump. Get it going before you add it. VERY important if you want live fish.

I have never used copper, but I would definitely drain tank, clean it out a bit, do not use same decor, and then refill using fresh saltwater. Remember not to use the same sand or decor in the new tank.

Another thing, make sure your wrasse is eating well. If the appetite is not good, do dips instead. JMO

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been lots of posts in recent years about anthias carrying lots of disease. I tried to get 4 through QT a few years ago and they all died, presumably of uronema or a bacterial infection.

Did any of your deceased fish have any type of sores on the body?

Based upon the progression of deaths and some visible symptoms on the bodies, I'd say it was certainly a disease brought in by the anthia.

Good job saving the wrasse!

Remember to watch out for ammonia in the QT.

Good luck!

OP
OP
B

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT mix them. I actually have always used formalin in the tank itself and not as a dip. Two reasons: easier on me, easier on the fish (stress of catch-dip-catch). On a super sick fish, I would dip. I was sucessful saving anthias from brook with formalin in tank and they were pretty sick, but I should probably have dipped. Now, you have to remember that formalin will zap the o2 in the water. So, get an air stone and air pump. Get it going before you add it. VERY important if you want live fish.

I have never used copper, but I would definitely drain tank, clean it out a bit, do not use same decor, and then refill using fresh saltwater. Remember not to use the same sand or decor in the new tank.

Another thing, make sure your wrasse is eating well. If the appetite is not good, do dips instead. JMO
If he's eating good should I just roll with the copper treatment or do you think I should switch to the formalin? I have a bare bottom tank with just some pvc pipe I cut.

OP
OP
B

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been lots of posts in recent years about anthias carrying lots of disease. I tried to get 4 through QT a few years ago and they all died, presumably of uronema or a bacterial infection.

Did any of your deceased fish have any type of sores on the body?

Based upon the progression of deaths and some visible symptoms on the bodies, I'd say it was certainly a disease brought in by the anthia.

Good job saving the wrasse!

Remember to watch out for ammonia in the QT.

Good luck!
No anthias looked totally fine. That's why I didn't really suspect a sickness until the other ones went to fast.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run through a treatment of formalin. Basically because copper will not rid the fish of brook and it can go dormant and hit fish/other fish in times of stress.

OP
OP
B

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run through a treatment of formalin. Basically because copper will not rid the fish of brook and it can go dormant and hit fish/other fish in times of stress.
Do it for a month in the qt? Should I do that for all new fish?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your goal is to eleiminate issues in dt, yes. All fish. I have not found any fish that have issues with formalin. Even scaleless can tolerate it. Formalin can be given every other day for 4 doses with 1 day in between or once a week for three weeks. Depends on the issue and how far the issues have progressed.

One other note!!! If the fish has open sores, do not use formalin!!!!

OP
OP
B

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your goal is to eleiminate issues in dt, yes. All fish. I have not found any fish that have issues with formalin. Even scaleless can tolerate it. Formalin can be given every other day for 4 doses with 1 day in between or once a week for three weeks. Depends on the issue and how far the issues have progressed.

One other note!!! If the fish has open sores, do not use formalin!!!!
Perfect. Thank you for the info and help. Wrasse is alive and eating and looks great. So glad he's alive. Wish I would have made the call earlier.

OP
OP
B

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse is doing great and eating. Tank is sitting fallow. Anemone and gsp and zoa are doing good as well. If the wrasse seems to be back to normal should I switch to Formalin. I am not 100 percent sure they had brookranilla if it was something else that copper will have taken care. I don't want to over stress this fish.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the long formalin dose if you have the formalin. Basically 1ml per 10g once a week for 3 weeks (3 doses). Otherwise, just monitor.

OP
OP
B

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the long formalin dose if you have the formalin. Basically 1ml per 10g once a week for 3 weeks (3 doses). Otherwise, just monitor.
Ok I'm just having a hard time finding the Formalin. Any suggestions on where to get it or something similar

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bypass it at this point. It is really hard to find without a source and only is good for 6 months. If the wrasse is doing well, he maybe just fine. Monitor him and feed well. Maybe metronidazole treatment and leave at that. So happy for you that he is doing well. They are beautiful fish.

OP
OP
B

BigAquaBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bypass it at this point. It is really hard to find without a source and only is good for 6 months. If the wrasse is doing well, he maybe just fine. Monitor him and feed well. Maybe metronidazole treatment and leave at that. So happy for you that he is doing well. They are beautiful fish.
Alright thank you for the help. I just hope he won't infect new fish a couple months from now. His colors are amazing that's for sure

Back