OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fish get their oxygen from dissolved O2 in the water. Towards the top is where that diffusion occurs, so there’s going to be more oxygen concentration at the top. Increased aeration and surface agitation increases the amount of O2 that can dissolve.
That makes sense. Do feel that a low oxygen rate would cause slow deaths?

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM 30L and SR80. The 30L is a beautiful tank, but not big enough for the wrasses and Midas blenny.

Beyond anything parameter/cycling-wise, I would not rule out the cramped accommodations causing aggression and stress that made everyone susceptible to illness. Did you see any aggression from the fish, or evidence of it (e.g. nipped fins, other damage)?

Also, how often were you feeding, and what foods? Was everyone getting enough nutrition?

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a new setup right? How was it cycled & how long was it cycle?
This is not too new. It’s been going for 3 months.
I have an IM 30L and SR80. The 30L is a beautiful tank, but not big enough for the wrasses and Midas blenny.

Beyond anything parameter/cycling-wise, I would not rule out the cramped accommodations causing aggression and stress that made everyone susceptible to illness. Did you see any aggression from the fish, or evidence of it (e.g. nipped fins, other damage)?

Also, how often were you feeding, and what foods? Was everyone getting enough nutrition?
What size tank is right for a small midas blenny in your opinion? I did not notice much aggression at all. I was watching for that and tried to stock less aggressive fish. I was feeding three times a day and it was Hikari pellet food. A few times a week I added frozen mysis.

Mike1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not too new. It’s been going for 3 months.

What size tank is right for a small midas blenny in your opinion? I did not notice much aggression at all. I was watching for that and tried to stock less aggressive fish. I was feeding three times a day and it was Hikari pellet food. A few times a week I added frozen mysis.
So to me 3 months is still new, when you added these fish you add them all at the same time correct

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading through this since yesterday and hoping you got things straightened out but I feel like I'm missing something.
Something just isn't right here, like I'm not being told the whole story.
Look. 3 months is like brand new. I have 120 gallons give or take with 4 fish.
6 fish is just too much too soon I'm sorry don't want to be a jerk.
What I always, always ask everyone who asks me for help is have you done anything differently lately?
If yes, start there but my feeling here is too much too soon.
I really would like to help but you need to help me help you.
No more fish and if you do, the right size one at a time.
And get a skimmer.
Hopefully you get it figured out but there is a poisoning issue that needs to be dealt with.

Janet Belanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 long. I added four at once yes.

Salinity has been stable around 35, pH 8.3 to 8.4 and temp 77. The ammonia is near zero. I can not say for sure what it is because it’s the color readings so it’s hard to tell. It was very very close to 0.
I have not noticed a large amount of dentritus truthfully but that totally is an option.
My gut says the pH is in range, so I'd be hard pressed to believe it's an oxygen issue like others have said. I'm feeling like the bio load you added was too much too quickly, but we need more detail on fishy behavior. How were they were acting?, was there rubbing/flashing?, bobbing at the top?, hang out in the flow of pumps?

Did they disappear entirely, or die then you scooped them out? How long before you noticed the first one and scooped it out? What was your source of fish? Did you QT? Use any chemicals near the tank recently to clean the glass, surrounding floor, walls, etc?

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been reading through this since yesterday and hoping you got things straightened out but I feel like I'm missing something.
Something just isn't right here, like I'm not being told the whole story.
Look. 3 months is like brand new. I have 120 gallons give or take with 4 fish.
6 fish is just too much too soon I'm sorry don't want to be a jerk.
What I always, always ask everyone who asks me for help is have you done anything differently lately?
If yes, start there but my feeling here is too much too soon.
I really would like to help but you need to help me help you.
No more fish and if you do, the right size one at a time.
And get a skimmer.
Hopefully you get it figured out but there is a poisoning issue that needs to be dealt with.
I have no reason to lie here. I asked for help so lying would completely invalidate the responses I receive from you guys. I really tried to do my best before coming to the forum.
I agree with you I added too much too fast. What I had done different was I started to feed a lot more with the increase in fish and think this issue was a bio load issue.

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My gut says the pH is in range, so I'd be hard pressed to believe it's an oxygen issue like others have said. I'm feeling like the bio load you added was too much too quickly, but we need more detail on fishy behavior. How were they were acting?, was there rubbing/flashing?, bobbing at the top?, hang out in the flow of pumps?

Did they disappear entirely, or die then you scooped them out? How long before you noticed the first one and scooped it out? What was your source of fish? Did you QT? Use any chemicals near the tank recently to clean the glass, surrounding floor, walls, etc?
The pH is 8.3 to 8.4. From what I know, that’s in a decent range. When the fish were first in the tank everyone started off well. They were eating and out and about other than some shyness right off the bat like adding any fish to a new environment. There was no bobbing at the top other than the original picture with the chromis. I did see the midas blenny rub a few times but not frequently. No one was deliberately in the flow either.

I would notice a fish would go missing for a day or so then it would turn up looking like it was on its last leg. My fish are from a place I have bought fish from for forever without major issue. I did not QT them. I use glass cleaner to clean the outside of the tank but I spray the rag then wipe the tank rather spray the glass.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need to make a correction to my fish list that was originally posted. I mistakenly put an ornate wrasse when I have a H. cosmetus.

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like there are a lot of potential reasons here so starting with the basics to narrow it down-

What was the cycling process like? You said it has been going for 3 months but did you add ammonia daily/weekly? Food? Something to start building the nitrifying bacteria? If so I doubt it is an ammonia issue. Even six fish at once should not spike the ammonia much if at all provided you had a healthy bacteria population.

Did any of the fish have any reddish areas on them? Things such as ammonia burn, Uronema (extremely common in Chromis)? You say you didn’t QT which would lead me to think that it is a disease issue but hard to know without pics or more observation.

Have you tested nitrate levels and if so what are they? Also are you saying the tap water is just RO filter and not RODI? Do you know if your city uses chloramine instead of chlorine? While most likely not the culprit, a a TDS of 4 means that some things are getting though and I would be interested to know what they are. Do you have any other active tanks with fish on the same water?

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no reason to lie here. I asked for help so lying would completely invalidate the responses I receive from you guys. I really tried to do my best before coming to the forum.
I agree with you I added too much too fast. What I had done different was I started to feed a lot more with the increase in fish and think this issue was a bio load issue.
Learn out of your mistakes and don't make them again. The famous saying: Nothing happens quick in this hobby.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back