OP
V

vsciacca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic fuzzy but it appears fish have ich or velvet and velvet especially will quickly take them down. With velvet, fish would be sluggish, no appetite and breathing heavy as signs. Moving forward, quarantine next fish and leave this tank they died in fishless (fallow) for at least 6 weeks to assure any protozoans or Flagellates dies off without a fish to host on)
I think the pic may have been playing tricks because those fish were spotless in real life. Definitely no ich or velvet. I also did a freshwater soak after they had died to see if any parasites would come out and there was nothing. I’m pretty convinced at this point that the issue is the fact that I’m using bottled distilled water from a grocery store for my ATO. I’ve turned off my ATO and will get ro/di water from my lfs today to refill the reservoir with the right water

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the pic may have been playing tricks because those fish were spotless in real life. Definitely no ich or velvet. I also did a freshwater soak after they had died to see if any parasites would come out and there was nothing. I’m pretty convinced at this point that the issue is the fact that I’m using bottled distilled water from a grocery store for my ATO. I’ve turned off my ATO and will get ro/di water from my lfs today to refill the reservoir with the right water
Distilled water would not be a problem for ATO. Since ATO replaces evaporated water, the various elements remain in the tank during the process. Diistilled water is more pure than RO/DI water.

OP
OP
V

vsciacca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled water would not be a problem for ATO. Since ATO replaces evaporated water, the various elements remain in the tank during the process. Diistilled water is more pure than RO/DI water.
I’m at a complete loss then. I’m very worried about my pearly jaw fish and orchid blenny but they both seem very happy right now. And again all my corals, the anemone, and my inverts are alive and well. I’m so confused about what I’m doing wrong

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must admit the anemone was not a thoughtful purchase I just got over excited and wanted something like it. I will be returning it because I don’t think it’ll do well in the long term. Thinking of getting a couple of torches instead. Do you think they would be okay? Going to wait a bit before doing that since I still don’t know what’s causing my issues. Also another note, my pipe organ closed up yesterday and has not reopened since. I’ve heard they can be a good indicator of water quality issues. Any idea what this might mean?
Coral doesn't do well in new tanks and torches are expensive. Your call though. This hobby is best taken slowly.

OP
OP
V

vsciacca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral doesn't do well in new tanks and torches are expensive. Your call though. This hobby is best taken slowly.
Yeah I won’t be adding them for a month or so if I do. More so was curious if you think my setup is good for them

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I won’t be adding them for a month or so if I do. More so was curious if you think my setup is good for them
If I understand correctly, your tank is about 6 weeks old. Certainly your call, but before I would buy any expensive coral, I would wait until less expensive coral as well as fish survived 6 months or even longer. Some water issues affect both fish and coral. Then, a lot of other water as well as issues such as light affect coral. Some coral may look ok for a while, but then a slow death follows. I went through a lot of less expensive, supposedly easy to maintain, coral frags before my tank stabilized enough to support and grow coral.

OP
OP
V

vsciacca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand correctly, your tank is about 6 weeks old. Certainly your call, but before I would buy any expensive coral, I would wait until less expensive coral as well as fish survived 6 months or even longer. Some water issues affect both fish and coral. Then, a lot of other water as well as issues such as light affect coral. Some coral may look ok for a while, but then a slow death follows. I went through a lot of less expensive, supposedly easy to maintain, coral frags before my tank stabilized enough to support and grow coral.
I’ll heed your advice. The corals I have now are not terribly expensive so I’ll let them grow for a 5-6 months and think about adding more later on. Thanks for all the input. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of what’s killing the fish

Auntjemimma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that’s possible. I don’t suspect stray voltage but I’m not sure how to test for either of those issues
For stray voltage you can use a multimeter. I think it would be a little harder to test for magnet contamination, however.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back