Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work on the build

garcia64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next problem was the light. The light that came with it is touch control. they say it 14k, and reef capable but I was looking for something that I could control. I could go with an overhead light like a prime hd, but we really wanted the hood. On the hood , I cut a piece of glass and siliconed it to the top. I had a retro kit on my bc29 tank from nanoboxreef. I removed the factory led off the heat sink with a little force. I took the kit off the bc29 tank, rewired and drilled and tapped the factory heat sink and mounted. The mod for the light could not have gone any better.
m_20161014_103835.jpg m_20161014_170207.jpg m_20161014_160029.jpg
how hard was it to retro fit the light/ what retro kit from nanoboxreef did you use?

OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys, been on vacation then sick. The retro was from a dual for a bc29 tank. It did take a day to extend wires, drill and tap and reassemble. The retro was not really hard except for prying off the original led's.
My ato container is a 2.5 gallon aquarium. I top off the water in it every 3 weeks or so. I added the shelf for the holding tank.
Since I returned home to find the tank in so so condition. My tank sitters only job was to feed which she did a great job. I did my cleaning and removed all algae in the tank, put down my new sand I had, added my cooked live rocks. Tank is doing great at the moment, I couldn't be happier. Only thing I really need to do is add a background to the tank.

m_20170110_075835.jpg

m_20170110_075653.jpg

OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I recently came across a bounce mushroom that was miss labeled as a bubble mushroom. After getting a picture of it and posting on here, I was able to find out that this was a bounce. Next morning I went back to purchase , (which I did) and found out there were 3 of them on this rock. The price was only $99.00! Score for me! So here are my newest additions to the tank.

m_20170130_073404.jpg
m_20170130_073410.jpg
m_20170130_073424_001.jpg
m_20170127_124720.jpg

OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the feedings and water changes I still am fighting algae. I have decided to add a sump/refugium to my tank. The sump will only be 5 gallons but it will allow me to grow macro algae. The extra water will also help stabilize the main tank. I do not want to drill this tank so I went with a diy overflow. I must say it is a pain to figure out. Drilling would be so much easier. So far I have the sump made, the return is done. The overflow is glued and later today I am hoping to have it sprayed black.

OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a while since I last posted. I have been fighting some algae problems. I decided to add a sump/ fuge to the tank set up. I did a diy over flow with a aqua lifter pump so I would not have to worry about the siphon. the sump/fuge has a replaceable sock and the middle section is the fuge. My return pump is a mj1200. After playing with the inlet valve to the sump, I believe that the water levels are now stable. when I clean everything up, I will be adding pictures.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set one of these up. Been looking through the thread. How is your tank doing?

OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been doing great. I have since added a 5 gallon sump/fuge to the setup. I am hoping to get some pictures up this week showing the setup.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What heater are you running in your evo? I can't seem to find a compact one.

OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a cascade 50 watt heater. This morning I had my first and last problem with my sump setup. The pipe I used from the main tank had an aqua lifter pump to keep the siphon going and it stopped in the middle of the night. When that happened the return pump started draining my sump and my macro algae was cut up and pumped into my tank. My ato kept calling for more water which flooded my tank and water then proceeded to get into my cabinet and short out my light setup. After ordering the parts for the light, I decided to remove my sump and overflow setup. My tank is stressed from this but I was able to at least get my salinity back to normal.

Kevin Revallo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to see more info on your light upgrade while using existing hood... I would like to do something like you did... Model lights, what was involved in the mod, etc...

OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a while since I have been on here. Work and battling a bad knee has taken most of my time. Over the summer, I have been battling algae in my tank. My clowns need to eat so my tank has been building up algae. I just purchased an hob refugium to control my nutrients in my tank. I will be setting this up in the next few weeks after getting my knee taken care of.

Jason P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this tank for Xmas gift, this thread has me excited to get tank up and going...minus the algae lol. Your tank is really nice appreciate what you have done.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back