My Fluval Evo 13.5 build

Jim8o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I’m new to marine tanks. I thought I would join this forum for inspiration and advice.

I currently have a Fluval Evo 13.5. Here is my setup:

- PS2 skimmer.
- InTank media basked chamber 2.
- Autoaqua smart micro ATO.
- Aquael Ultra Heater 50w.
- Eheim compact 1000 pump.
- Jecod SW-2 Wavemaker.
- Risepro digital thermometer.
- Marco rock.
- CaribSea live sand.

Livestock

- Bi-coloured Blenny
- 2x clownfish
- Cleaner shrimp
- 2x turbo snails
- 2x hermit craps
- 2x Nassarius snails

I’m looking at starting to stock the tank with corals. Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reading. I look forward to updating as I go along.

61DB955E-E12F-4CB0-A308-038AAFD32A2F.jpeg

3E2BEE88-6916-429B-80AC-45A0EC702D71.jpeg

527D5ACD-31A8-4F84-B609-9F863D593CDE.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far :) If this is going to be your build thread, would you like me to move it over to the member tanks forum for others to follow along? :)

OP
OP
Jim8o

Jim8o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Welcome to R2R.

Ive gots some questions
what kind of coral do you like? Have you ever kept a coral?

Hi Musovski,

I haven’t kept any corals before, so I was thinking softies, mushrooms etc to start maybe Zoas. I would like some LPS but I’m not sure if my stock light will support these?

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Musovski,

I haven’t kept any corals before, so I was thinking softies, mushrooms etc to start maybe Zoas. I would like some LPS but I’m not sure if my stock light will support these?
soft corals love light since they are photosynthetic. is it the stock lights that come with the fluval?

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is the stock light that comes with the Fluval Evo 13.5.
you should be fine with soft coral. that light supposedly can grow sps, but doubt!

Good corals to start with are always leathers, Xenia, GSP, Mushrooms, Zoas/Palys

I will say though, when you have leathers, zoas/palys you must run carbon because of potential toxin warfare

OP
OP
Jim8o

Jim8o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help. Do Xenia, and GSP go a bit mad?

I currently run Rox 0.8 carbon, chemi pure elite, biomax and filter wool.

Also, I’ve come home today and noticed millions of tiny, possibly, pods all over the glass. Should I be worried? Or are these ok?

Gaze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jim, the Fluval is a fantastic nano aquarium. I’d recommend lookin for a light upgrade, not necessary (and I’ve seen a lot of older tanks that have only used the stock light and been successful) but it does improve the overall look of the tank and looks is why we are in the hobby right? [emoji23]
This is my Fluval I set up back in October. Since then I’ve started dosing seachem fusion 1&2 and the corals love it! Maybe thinking of Aquavitro Fuel to add some aminos but I don’t have a skimmer so I have to watch my nutrient imports. Best advice would be keep your hands out of the tank, the less we mess with everything, the happier the tank.
2e5390f18aa54df4b820d18f14ef0f31.jpg

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help. Do Xenia, and GSP go a bit mad?

I currently run Rox 0.8 carbon, chemi pure elite, biomax and filter wool.

Also, I’ve come home today and noticed millions of tiny, possibly, pods all over the glass. Should I be worried? Or are these ok?
yes they do. but you can just take a blade and cut it.

Pods are amazing, they are potentially one of the best CuC to have in a tank.

OP
OP
Jim8o

Jim8o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jim, the Fluval is a fantastic nano aquarium. I’d recommend lookin for a light upgrade, not necessary (and I’ve seen a lot of older tanks that have only used the stock light and been successful) but it does improve the overall look of the tank and looks is why we are in the hobby right? [emoji23]
This is my Fluval I set up back in October. Since then I’ve started dosing seachem fusion 1&2 and the corals love it! Maybe thinking of Aquavitro Fuel to add some aminos but I don’t have a skimmer so I have to watch my nutrient imports. Best advice would be keep your hands out of the tank, the less we mess with everything, the happier the tank.
2e5390f18aa54df4b820d18f14ef0f31.jpg

You’re tank looks really good! Can’t wait for mine to progress.. I’m trying to avoid buying a new light as I want to eventually get a bigger tank.

You’re tank looks so clear. Mine used to but I came home tonight to find millions of pods all swimming around and hanging out on the glass.

OP
OP
Jim8o

Jim8o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes they do. but you can just take a blade and cut it.

Pods are amazing, they are potentially one of the best CuC to have in a tank.

Oh I see.. so you can just cut it away and it won’t hurt the coral. Nice .

They make my tank look cloudy now though

Gaze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re tank looks really good! Can’t wait for mine to progress.. I’m trying to avoid buying a new light as I want to eventually get a bigger tank.

You’re tank looks so clear. Mine used to but I came home tonight to find millions of pods all swimming around and hanging out on the glass.

The pods are good! I probably could use a few more in my system. I’m thinking about a little red scooter blenny and he’ll need the pods

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 165 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back