My Goniopora looks like it is going to explode!

DHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Goniopra has been in my tank for about 2 weeks and my reef tank has been well established for over a year. When I first got it, it took about two days to open up and it has been open now on a consistent basis, but this morning, I looked at it and it looks like it is going to explode. It is over inflated and about twice the size that it normally is. The only thing that has been added to the tank recently is amino acids and phyto. I did target feed all of my corals with Reef Roids yesterday evening. Here are two pics, the first was taken a few days ago and the second was taken today. My Parameters are as follows:

- Salinity - 1.025
- Temp - 77.8
- pH - 8.4
- Alkalinity 8.4 dKH
- Calcium 447 ppm
- Phosphates .05 ppm
- Magnesium 1475 ppm
- Nitrate - 14
- Ammonia - .00
- Nitrite - .00

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Goniopora1.jpg

Goniopora.jpg

OP
OP
DHouse

DHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mg May b lil elevated but all looks within tolerances. Mayb just osmotic action.
I have no idea why my magnesium is elevated. It is really crazy because I stopped adding Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and have been using the regular Instant Ocean which says it averages 1250 to 1350. I have no idea what is elevating my magnesium. I'll test again and possibly do another water change. Thanks for your input.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
looks quite good and mine will inflate when temp is warm, salinity gets high and after a water change

OP
OP
DHouse

DHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea why my magnesium is elevated. It is really crazy because I stopped adding Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and have been using the regular Instant Ocean which says it averages 1250 to 1350. I have no idea what is elevating my magnesium. I'll test again and possibly do another water change. Thanks for your input.
The Mg May b lil elevated but all looks within tolerances. Mayb just osmotic action.
Just tested my magnesium again twice and it read 1405 and 1407. I'm using the Hanna Marine Master Multiparameter Photometer. Obviously I did something wrong when I tested the other day. That's why I did it twice to make sure.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did do a 14% water change on Friday. I retested my magnesium twice today and got 1405 and 1407. Thanks for your input vetteguy.
Your mag reading acceptable.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people including March at Fragbox swear by 1500+ mag. It almost certainly harms nothing and they feel it benefits certain LPS. Also gonis can be strange - I have several that just extend massively and others that are just shorter.

OP
OP
DHouse

DHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people including March at Fragbox swear by 1500+ mag. It almost certainly harms nothing and they feel it benefits certain LPS. Also gonis can be strange - I have several that just extend massively and others that are just shorter.
Thanks for the input! Makes me feel better since this is my first Goni! This is one of my favorites! They are definitely beautiful!

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! Makes me feel better since this is my first Goni! This is one of my favorites! They are definitely beautiful!
pretty much any LPS that is inflating is better than deflating you got a problem when they deflate and dont wanna open up

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back