Best to kill APTASIA

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GermanJosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just pick your favorite pieces of rock, and use aptaisa X on them and buy NEW rock, preferably from an established tank that's cycled. Franks Aptaisas X is not cheap and you will need MULTIPLE bottles to get all those in the picture if you choose to keep all current rock.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly I would consider starting over with new rock (already cycled) if the tank is still young. Taking rock out one by one wouldn’t work because as soon as you put one clean rock back in, more aptasia will grow on it. Clean up crew will work to manage the problem, but it will be a problem that has to be managed for the life of the tank. Berghia eating nudis are expensive, and your aptasia might come back anyway.

OP
OP

24/7ReeFTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
I moved my corals to the sand and cleaned the disk the coral isnt looking any better.
will it just take time to heal and come back?

HKAVR45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd agree with the above comments about filefish being hit or miss. I picked one up to handle a small quantity of aptasia but he acquired a taste for LPS so he had to go. He specifically was munching down on my acans, but didn't touch the euphylias.

OP
OP

24/7ReeFTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have some Aiptasia that is sooooo big I don’t think anything can eat it. Can I take some of the live rock out and make it dry rock? If so how?

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jaxon,

get Aptasia-X for the bigger ones and then a natural predator for the rest.
My file fish never touched aptasia so it’s hit or miss.

I did, however, get a Copper Band Buttefly that took care of my outbreak in 3 days.

The aptasia you have in there may be too big for Nudibranchs.

Currdawg12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have some Aiptasia that is sooooo big I don’t think anything can eat it. Can I take some of the live rock out and make it dry rock? If so how?
I have never had a break out this bad but I can tell you that you need to keep a bottle of aiptasia-x made by Red Sea. its not practical in this case because you have to target each aiptasia anemone individually. but just a few months ago when I got my first one I was so excited and then a guy at my LFS told me it was a bad anemone that can take over and sting all my coral I took action pretty quick. I am now checking my tank after reading your post and have already spotted 6 or 7

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 1st pic is so stunning this thread could have been taken as parody. Pull the coral ditch the rock imo.

OP
OP

24/7ReeFTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I moved my coral to the sand a few weeks ago and it did good for a while but recently it’s looked like this. Everything else In the tank are fine and the water quality is good. I did start feed reef roids to my corals and they like it. I don’t know what the issue could be. The Aiptasia is not stinging it. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
752414DC-17EB-4B7E-9748-C000B7543AC0.jpeg

mrsdixon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bet its getting the crap stung out of it by all that aiptasia! move it away and start tackling that aiptasia. lemon juice worked for me for a little while. I really had no luck with boiling hot ro water. I just added bumblebee snails and a few peppermint shrimp. I cant do a filefish bc my tank is to small for one so if the shrimp and snails dont wipe it out I will then buy an aiptasia eliminating product. goodluck! keep us updated. but overall the best advice I can give you is be diligent bc aiptasia is a reoccurring nightmare or can be

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back