My GSP hasn't been opening up for over a week

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
Since December of last year, this GSP has been very happy and has been striving well. But just out of the blue, it just closed up; there's prob only one flower open, but that's it. I've checked my levels, but there isn't any problem (Nitrate: 2.40ppm, Nitrite: 0ppm, Ammonia: 0ppm, Magnesium: 1440ppm, pH: 8.0ppm, Salinity: 1.025ppm). I have no idea what's causing the problem.

tempImageh3v16P.png tempImage5S6rhn.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. Are you sure youre numbers are 'correct'?
2. Any other chemicals hanging around? (cleaners, etc)
3. How big is your tank, are you using carbon, etc do you do water changes
4. If you think hard back to the date the problem began - anything that comes to mind?
5. Any other corals near by - or new additions to the tank that could be bugging it?
6. Any chance of any metallic contaminants. This might be a time - when an ICP test could help? (OR carbon, metal absorbing compounds, etc)

Good news (hopefully) - is that I had a GSP looking the same for 3 months - and its now fine (I had a huge alkalinity spike)

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Are you sure youre numbers are 'correct'?
2. Any other chemicals hanging around? (cleaners, etc)
3. How big is your tank, are you using carbon, etc do you do water changes
4. If you think hard back to the date the problem began - anything that comes to mind?
5. Any other corals near by - or new additions to the tank that could be bugging it?
6. Any chance of any metallic contaminants. This might be a time - when an ICP test could help? (OR carbon, metal absorbing compounds, etc)

Good news (hopefully) - is that I had a GSP looking the same for 3 months - and its now fine (I had a huge alkalinity spike)
1. For nitrates I use Hanna, for Mag I use Salfert, and for the rest I use API
2. I occasionally use Chemical Guy's Piña Colada air freshener after I clean up my room, but I have used it in the past without any complications
3. It's a 29G with ~8G sump, I just replaced my Active Carbon, I haven't done a water change in about 2 weeks but I'm planning to do one soon
4. Not really, all that I thought of was that my Yellow Watchman Goby was irritating the GSP like hell
5. I added a pretty big BTA a little more than a month ago and I can tell that there was chemical warfare going on between my branching hammer due to polyp discharge, but I changed the carbon a week later
6. I had this plastic/metal tong from the dollar store and I noticed that it had some rusting after a small scale fell off into the tank

I read other reefer's cases like mine and they said the same thing and it just happens randomly but will resolve soon

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: sleeping beauty finally decided to wake up…
It looks a bit shorter from before, but I’m pretty sure it will get back to normal within the week

thank you all for your help!
EF5888C9-87C6-4664-BBB7-2CA80B07DEF6.jpeg

smacbride

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to mine. It closed down for about a week then it eventually came back. Has not happened again and it's been about a year or so. I think they just do that from time to time?

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to mine. It closed down for about a week then it eventually came back. Has not happened again and it's been about a year or so. I think they just do that from time to time?
Yeah it’s weird, lol

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back