My hammer is shedding skin. Anyone know why?

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I feel like I’m almost posting here daily so first of all my apologies for that I’ve noticed a little string floating at the side of my hammer which i bought about three weeks ago. First I thought it might be another hitchhiker but then I noticed the skin at the bottom on the skeleton not looking so great. Is it dying? Any idea what might be possible causes? I’m planning on doing a big water change tonight. I’ve added two small fishes to my tank (court jester goby and juvenile mocha storm) which is only a 6g that already had a juvenile clown. My 33g is in the works (finishing me rock structure and waiting for a bit more equipment) so in about three weeks I can transfer the live stock. I’m doing two small water changes a week since I know that the bioload is probably too much for that size tank. Could this be the reason why the coral is reacting this way? I also had my light cranked up a bit for about a week as I was trying to get a bit more algae growth for the jester goby as I don’t see him eat the mysis or algae pellets that i drop in. He prefers to sift sand and pick at the rock. I did noticed that this was not ideal as some coral started to retract and I went back to my previous light setting (red to zero, white to 9%, and the other blue/purple to 100% for 9 hours a day). I’ve been having this 6g for 5 months. The acro’s I just got so everything is “parked” in this little tank until I can move it to the larger one in 3 months or so. I don’t think it will grow out of proportion in that time and if I keep up with regular water changes that all trace elements should be present to take care of these corals? Let me know if I’m completely missing the ball here or I am being ignorant on some level And sorry I made you all read an entire book here. Cheers!

C5ED5EFC-3C11-43AE-B2E0-619113991DC4.jpeg AF4C967A-D48C-4C7B-9837-8115B6035E07.jpeg

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal. If it builds skeleton faster than flesh, then that is what you get - the flesh tearing as the heads move apart. The reverse can also happen. If the flesh grows faster than the skeleton it can move downward right onto the plug which I have had several do (picture of one of my frogspawn a year ago). Currently mine are doing what your's is and it's nothing to worry about.

frog_crop-jpg.2466320

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal. If it builds skeleton faster than flesh, then that is what you get - the flesh tearing as the heads move apart. The reverse can also happen. If the flesh grows faster than the skeleton it can move downward right onto the plug which I have had several do (picture of one of my frogspawn a year ago). Currently mine are doing what your's is and it's nothing to worry about.

frog_crop-jpg.2466320
What a relief Thanks for explaining this. Do new heads develop randomly? I’m asking as I see different new polyps on yours.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a relief Thanks for explaining this. Do new heads develop randomly? I’m asking as I see different new polyps on yours.
Those were frags from a large colony that was several years old. You will get many mini sprouts like that on older colonies. Interestingly the frags stop putting those out after they get going - it's like they know they're not big anymore.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those were frags from a large colony that was several years old. You will get many mini sprouts like that on older colonies. Interestingly the frags stop putting those out after they get going - it's like they know they're not big anymore.
Ha! Super interesting This has got to be one of the most fascinating hobbies there is

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 72 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.7%
Back