Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

ReefDreamer1126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres my problem I have to get rid of the asterina stars but I really like my Harlequin Banded Serpent Star although I don't see him that much. I was going to take him and put him down in my fuge but tying to catch him out like in the pic is likely not to happen so do I just take a chance? IMG_6816.JPG IMG_6339.JPG

I had the same problem! I had about 60 little guys in my 45 gallon. I added the shrimp and within a week I didn’t see anymore.

OP
OP
125reef_AnnaElyse

125reef_AnnaElyse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres my problem I have to get rid of the asterina stars but I really like my Harlequin Banded Serpent Star although I don't see him that much. I was going to take him and put him down in my fuge but tying to catch him out like in the pic is likely not to happen so do I just take a chance? IMG_6816.JPG IMG_6339.JPG

That'll be completely up to you! I don't keep other stars, so my harlequin hasn't had the chance to go after anything other than a feeder chocolate chip or the asterinas. My guess is that the shrimp will most likely go after your star, it'll be a gamble. I'd recommend separating the star until the shrimp clears out the pest asterinas as a precaution!

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up-Date and ?'s
I got a harlequin shrimp and the asterina stars are just about gone I think I don't see allot anymore but I also don't see my harlequin shrimp but I have to assume he's there? If he is I would believe it will be soon time to put a star in for food but dam how do I tell?

IMG_6843.JPG

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say drop in a chocolate chip and see what happens :)

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharing my experience:

2 weeks into harley ownership my shrimp didn't take to the CC initially. I dropped it near the shrimp and showed no interest. Left the CC alone (first time CC owner as well) and didn't realize how fast moving these guys are. Disappeared in about and hour and I feared for my coral as CC food. Eventually caught up to the CC and removed it from the DT and dropped into sump. Tried several more times and still no luck getting the harley to show interest in the CC. Fast forward 1 week I guess harley got hungry enough where I saw it around the front of the tank. Took a chance and cut an arm off the CC. Drop it near the harley and chow time! Guess it was part settling into a new environment, hunger and part 'training' to eat the CC. It's been on the CC leg for a day now and I'm watching for it to wander off which I understand as leg-done-eat'in. So far hasn't left the CC leg. Will watch for a couple more days then try to drop the remaining CC in there to see if it'll keep the star on its back and immobile from my coral.

Moral of the story is you might have to try a few things if your shrimp isn't a cookie eater.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back