My "hey what's another tank" 72 bow reef build.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a few things done today. Not all I wanted, but a few things buttoned up. Built me a tool to fill the tank with some old return plumbing new flex line, and a valve to control pump
IMG_20201004_171651.jpg

I got the return plumbing in as well as the ato pump in place. Gotta trim the ato line, but tank is buttoned up and ready for water!
IMG_20201004_171717.jpg
IMG_20201004_171724.jpg

I need to flush the rodi, and get water flowing to then mix.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rodi flushed. We are officially making what I like to call production water!! Sediment filter wasn't too bad, but the resin was toast. I had ordered a flush kit a while back so I went with it and cleared it for good measure. Fresh filters for a fresh tank! I'll make the first batch overnight, and tomorrow make a second batch. That should hopefully be enough to at least fill show tank. We're getting there!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made 30 gallons last night,. and just brought it upstairs. Its heating now. Once its a decent temp, ill get salt in it. Ive got about another 40 gallons to make. Hoping to get 10 gallons before bed, and then ill make the next batch overnight. Should have salt in this water by tomorrow night. Sand and water Wednesday or thursday depending on my schedule. My Amazon order for Microbacter7 and Biospira will be here friday.

Lets do this!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I read the thread and have to say is you're one patient person, It's great. Good job, I love the rock and the build in general.
Thanks man! it has felt like the right thing to do. I didnt want a tank cycling while i was out of town etc. I consider this my " dream tank" So i wanted to take my time, and do it right. It will really start speeding up now as ive got water made, just got to get salt in it, and wait for it to mix. Sand is on hand too. Now it goes quicker, but yea i was pretty patient on this one for sure.

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man! it has felt like the right thing to do. I didnt want a tank cycling while i was out of town etc. I consider this my " dream tank" So i wanted to take my time, and do it right. It will really start speeding up now as ive got water made, just got to get salt in it, and wait for it to mix. Sand is on hand too. Now it goes quicker, but yea i was pretty patient on this one for sure.

Surely, your patience will be rewarded soon enough ;)

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surely, your patience will be rewarded soon enough ;)
Thats the hopes at least! I got my bottle of microbacter 7 in the mail today, its in the fridge Chilling.. Pun totally intended! Waiting on my Biospira.

The current plan if nothing else gets in my way, is to salt the water tonight, and let it mix overnight into tomorrow.

At somepoint tomorrow i will start adding in live sand and pump water into the tank for the first time. I have 65 gallons made.

If my calculations from a displacement calculator i found online are correct, i have enough water to flow into the main tank. Ill turn on the powerheads on low to move water, and make the last 10-15 gallons for sump after that is full. If all goes well, the system should be turning over water on thursday evening, but surely by friday for sure! Then comes all the fun....

Dialing in the ato level, making sure my coding on reef angel is working etc.

Then the cycle. Ill kill the skimmer for a week or so so i dont cause issues with the good bacteria in the tank.

Plan is to defrost a raw shrimp and toss it in. Ive done this with great success on many tanks in the past. Lets get to work i guess!

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current plan if nothing else gets in my way, is to salt the water tonight, and let it mix overnight into tomorrow.

At somepoint tomorrow i will start adding in live sand and pump water into the tank for the first time. I have 65 gallons made.

If my calculations from a displacement calculator i found online are correct, i have enough water to flow into the main tank. Ill turn on the powerheads on low to move water, and make the last 10-15 gallons for sump after that is full. If all goes well, the system should be turning over water on thursday evening, but surely by friday for sure! Then comes all the fun....

Dialing in the ato level, making sure my coding on reef angel is working etc.

That sounds like fun times! Also, nice PUN :D.

Then the cycle. Ill kill the skimmer for a week or so so i dont cause issues with the good bacteria in the tank.

Plan is to defrost a raw shrimp and toss it in. Ive done this with great success on many tanks in the past. Lets get to work i guess!

Sounds like a solid plan, I also just threw a shrimp in my QT. I'm going to wait until I see ammonia spikes then dose Fritz Turbo Start. Let's see who finishes their cycle first :p

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like fun times! Also, nice PUN :D.

Sounds like a solid plan, I also just threw a shrimp in my QT. I'm going to wait until I see ammonia spikes then dose Fritz Turbo Start. Let's see who finishes their cycle first :p
Ive always been a shrimp and a bottle of stability guy.. this time im trying multiple strains. This is mostly as Tonga isnt as porous as other rocks that we commonly use. So the though here, is to have multiple strains and types in the beginning to help counteract that. I did some "surgery" on some extra standard dry rock i had last night... By surgery i mean i took a sledge hammer to it, and made little media bags out of it and some pantyhose. Ive got one in each filter cup, and in each chamber of the sump.

My goal here is to allow a bit of extra space to colonize good bacteria.

We shall see. Im going to attempt the BRS hybrid 4 month cycle here so no lights for 2 months at least, depending on what i can find at TSM or Live aquaria Divers den for clowns, i may even wait on first fish for a bit.

I have a master fish list ( I can share it if youd like, or anyone would like) and im planning to buy Pre qtd fish this round. Not because ive been bit, but because ive tried to QT before, and i must just be a moron... i just had very very little luck. So I figure ill just buy Pre QTd.

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a master fish list ( I can share it if youd like, or anyone would like) and im planning to buy Pre qtd fish this round. Not because ive been bit, but because ive tried to QT before, and i must just be a moron... i just had very very little luck. So I figure ill just buy Pre QTd.

Is there a reliable company that guarantees healthy livestock in the states? I'm in Canada such a concept does not exist as far as I know. I can't imagine them guaranteeing that, if they end up selling you a fish that has ich then you put it in the tank, would they compensate you for all your losses? Unless they do that I can't see them being able to guarantee that the fish will be healthy, it would be a financial disaster for them. I honestly think you should reconsider QT, there are a ton of great guides and plenty of experienced people willing to help you out during the process on the forum. Also, I'd love to see the master fish list.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reliable company that guarantees healthy livestock in the states? I'm in Canada such a concept does not exist as far as I know. I can't imagine them guaranteeing that, if they end up selling you a fish that has ich then you put it in the tank, would they compensate you for all your losses? Unless they do that I can't see them being able to guarantee that the fish will be healthy, it would be a financial disaster for them. I honestly think you should reconsider QT, there are a ton of great guides and plenty of experienced people willing to help you out during the process on the forum. Also, I'd love to see the master fish list.
Both TSM aquatics and Divers den qt with copper and other meds before shipment. It's still up to me to then observe etc. I'm actually looking into @Humblefish new H202 hybrid TTM protocol. A buddy of mine locally uses it and has had amazing results. Plus it's alot quicker than your standard copper QT, and doesn't kill appetites.

Here is what I have drafted.

royal gramma

starry blenny

Diamond goby

2 clowns

Zebra dartfish trio

captive bred blue mandarin

6 blue reef chromis

hawkfish

dwarf cherub

flasher/ fairy wrasses/ Yerllow wrasse?

My qt in the past was a 29 gallon tank with about 20 gallons in it. hob filter, and 2 seeded sponge filters. I can't tell you how many fish I lost. The plan was observe and treat if needed. Fed medicated food for a week, and prazipro for a week. Not sure where I went wrong. After that didn't work, all new fish went into a bucket of a mix of store water and new water I mixed and did an hour of a dip with seachem paraguard. Then into show. I had pretty good success with that with no death at all after I started that in my old 220.

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both TSM aquatics and Divers den qt with copper and other meds before shipment. It's still up to me to then observe etc. I'm actually looking into @Humblefish new H202 hybrid TTM protocol. A buddy of mine locally uses it and has had amazing results. Plus it's alot quicker than your standard copper QT, and doesn't kill appetites.

Here is what I have drafted.

royal gramma

starry blenny

Diamond goby

2 clowns

Zebra dartfish trio

captive bred blue mandarin

6 blue reef chromis

hawkfish

dwarf cherub

flasher/ fairy wrasses/ Yerllow wrasse?

My qt in the past was a 29 gallon tank with about 20 gallons in it. hob filter, and 2 seeded sponge filters. I can't tell you how many fish I lost. The plan was observe and treat if needed. Fed medicated food for a week, and prazipro for a week. Not sure where I went wrong. After that didn't work, all new fish went into a bucket of a mix of store water and new water I mixed and did an hour of a dip with seachem paraguard. Then into show. I had pretty good success with that with no death at all after I started that in my old 220.

That's a solid list. In terms of aesthetics, I think you should go for a yellow wrasse to diversify the colours (or colors for Americans) in the aquarium. I've also read about that new TTM method, I'm definitely going to use that when I run out of meds (the government banned fish meds in Canada). I've heard good things about TSM aquatics. Do you plan to keep the fish from there in a QT for observation (with rock) before putting them in the DT just in case? Sorry if I'm being annoying lol, I'm just worried that you may get unlucky.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a solid list. In terms of aesthetics, I think you should go for a yellow wrasse to diversify the colours (or colors for Americans) in the aquarium. I've also read about that new TTM method, I'm definitely going to use that when I run out of meds (the government banned fish meds in Canada). I've heard good things about TSM aquatics. Do you plan to keep the fish from there in a QT for observation (with rock) before putting them in the DT just in case? Sorry if I'm being annoying lol, I'm just worried that you may get unlucky.
Naw never annoying! I love talking shop!! I have a over abundance of live rock downstairs. At one point I had about 300 lbs. I've sold close to half that now. I wanted to start fresh,with the 72, so when I sold off the 220 I started slinging rock as a side job. I've toyed with blacking out a 10 gallon, filling it with some of most premium live rock and letting them swim around for a couple weeks before going to show. I don't have a lot of room for a qt tank and doing it downstairs comes with its own challenges in conditioning fish to know who I am and feed.

I like the yellow wrasse, but I also like sandbed corals so I need to do more research. I had heard about the ban of fish meds... Better get that fish to a vet for a prescription!! LOL I kid! I hate copper, I'll use it if I have to, but the side effects aren't the best. The Hybrid TTm seems good, I just need to figure out the best containers. I figure if it's a 2 week process, if I order my first set just as I'm about ready for fish, they are ready when I am, then the second pair get ordered when those are out. This gives 2 weeks for the bio filter to adjust and grow for the new stock. Rinse repeat. That's my overall thought at this point. I need a K.I.S.S approach to QT ing fish I guess.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What oh what is going on here???
IMG_20201006_191041.jpg

I've take. Over my wife's dining room... Don't worry she knows it's just for a few days while I mix and fill. She's the one that wanted this tank!!!! I use that line any time she questions the current mess and noise from mixing pumps. I'll test salinity in a few hours and add more salt. Now to figure out how to use my new Hanna Salinity checker!!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight I became a salt mixing ninja! In all my reefing career I've never ever mixed a "perfect batch." I always manage 1.021 or 1.022 first hit and have to add salt. So tonight I unpack my new @Hanna Instruments Salinity tester I bought, calibrated it. thank you hanna for making these things super simple to do! Even my moronic self could do it ha! And I waited for the stability to stabilize and boom 1.025.... I've never ever ever have gotten that close. I've always run at 1.025 and ice never mixed that well I guess. I used my refractometer and that reported far lower, so it's time to re calibrate that. Tested with a hydrometer too for good measure and boom 1.025 range from that... Apparently I'm a ninja!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

Got the Message from my LFS owner and buddy, that the tank and stand are in!

Heading up there today to pick it up. Also since hes a reseller for SB Reef, and ive had amazing results in the past with them, i had him get me on order one of the new SB Reef45 inch wifi lights. First time ill have Wifi control and Ramping other than the ramping my wifes bio cube has.

Photos of the tank once it gets home to storage in the basement.
WOW! That is one expensive light. Looked it up online and did not show LED's. Is it their secret? :)

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean? I actually never got that light... Long story... I ended up going AI Hydra on this one
Yeh I just got confused, saw the date was last year and then next alert was today at 5pm or so. I did not read your entire thread yet, still on page one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back