My "hey what's another tank" 72 bow reef build.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeh I just got confused, saw the date was last year and then next alert was today at 5pm or so. I did not read your entire thread yet, still on page one.
Ah. Yea it's all in there for sure of what I've went with. This one's been a patient build for sure!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. Yea it's all in there for sure of what I've went with. This one's been a patient build for sure!
Ok, just finished reading your build thread so far. Can't wait to see it stocked. You have more patience than I ever will. Good job so far.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, just finished reading your build thread so far. Can't wait to see it stocked. You have more patience than I ever will. Good job so far.
I can tell you it was not easy! There were a few moments i was chomping at the bit, but a lot had to get done to get the surrounding space ready and all.

Today is actually go day. I have my trusty water moving pump soaking in some hot water to sterilize it, ill dry it and re assemble later. Ill test Salinity one more time on the prepared water, and its go time.

The plan is after work to start putting sand in. and then fill the overflow portion to check for any bulkhead tightening that needs to be done. Once that is good, its to fill the show tank, and at least get powerheads moving water.

I made another batch of RODI last night, so ive got around 40 gallons on hand right now to be able to mix another small amount to finish the fill tomorrow, and have ATO water to get that topped off and tested in my code.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you it was not easy! There were a few moments i was chomping at the bit, but a lot had to get done to get the surrounding space ready and all.

Today is actually go day. I have my trusty water moving pump soaking in some hot water to sterilize it, ill dry it and re assemble later. Ill test Salinity one more time on the prepared water, and its go time.

The plan is after work to start putting sand in. and then fill the overflow portion to check for any bulkhead tightening that needs to be done. Once that is good, its to fill the show tank, and at least get powerheads moving water.

I made another batch of RODI last night, so ive got around 40 gallons on hand right now to be able to mix another small amount to finish the fill tomorrow, and have ATO water to get that topped off and tested in my code.
Got a question. I have a sump 32x16x12 and wonder if it will fit this stand?

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Height wise you will be fine. the 12 wide will be tight as its about 10 or so inches at the sides. if you put it in before the tank went on the stand it might be OK. Wouldnt have room for much more tho. I have my sump, ato Resivor, dosing containers, and a cheato reactor under there

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Height wise you will be fine. the 12 wide will be tight as its about 10 or so inches at the sides. if you put it in before the tank went on the stand it might be OK. Wouldnt have room for much more tho. I have my sump, ato Resivor, dosing containers, and a cheato reactor under there
Well Petsmart has a sale on aquariums and I decided to buy the 75gallon to match the 75 I am using now for my fresh, $399.99 on tank, stand, glass lids and a cheapo LED light which I will give to my neighbor. I was just wondering if I can get the sump through the front or do I have to go through the back.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Petsmart has a sale on aquariums and I decided to buy the 75gallon to match the 75 I am using now for my fresh, $399.99 on tank, stand, glass lids and a cheapo LED light which I will give to my neighbor. I was just wondering if I can get the sump through the front or do I have to go through the back.
Depends on the stand design.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh what is this?? Could it be water???
IMG_20201007_173043.jpg
IMG_20201007_180404.jpg
IMG_20201007_180848.jpg
IMG_20201007_192313.jpg
IMG_20201007_202132.jpg
IMG_20201007_202416.jpg

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the stand design.
Yeah, anyway I set up the new 75 and cannot find my level so I added RO/DI water to about 3", checked water level with my tape measure and get 2&3/4" on the left side and 2&1/4" on the right, front to back is level. So, I assume tank is not level. How would I get it level? Sitting on carpet over concrete slab floor. The entire cabinet bottom supports all the weight.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, anyway I set up the new 75 and cannot find my level so I added RO/DI water to about 3", checked water level with my tape measure and get 2&3/4" on the left side and 2&1/4" on the right, front to back is level. So, I assume tank is not level. How would I get it level? Sitting on carpet over concrete slab floor. The entire cabinet bottom supports all the weight.
May be best to post out in the general threads to get everybody's input, but id imagine you can shim it. will have to remove water.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks full and moving water!! However theres a small leak coming around the entry pvc to the sump. Need to find a solution to that before i bring anything else online, and or get this cycling.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be best to post out in the general threads to get everybody's input, but id imagine you can shim it. will have to remove water.
I appreciate your input, I have been keeping fresh water aquariums for 40 years but sometimes it is good hearing what others have to say. My other 75 fresh I set several years ago I put 3/4" marine plywood on the carpet for the whole stand to rest, the fresh water stand is different where just the four corners are supporting the weight, I was trying to protect carpet. I also would like to know how difficult it will be to replace carpet with 2 tanks. Anyway just might cut the carpet around the stands and put hardwood flooring in, if I ever remove tanks then I would have to finish the floor. Anyway just rambling while my tank fills.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let it sit overnight with 3" of water and it settled out pretty level now.
Carpet is a monster... I ripped it out from the house when i shut down the tank this new one replaced. My 90 was on carpet and I hated it. We now have luxury waterproof vinyl.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a tinkerer through and through. Was able to slide sump down a tad, and then had room to take off the inlet, wrap it in plumbers tape and re tighten it. Knock on wood i see no pooling anymore. Will let it run for a while longer to i consider being out of the woods and bringing more equipment online.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpet is a monster... I ripped it out from the house when i shut down the tank this new one replaced. My 90 was on carpet and I hated it. We now have luxury waterproof vinyl.
Yeah that is better than wood. I made the mistake of replacing my carpet in the condo I owned 16 years ago to nice wood. A year later I was out of town and my wife stayed home, I got a call from her that the tank 55g busted water every where. Well when I got home I found that the wood floor settled and buckled causing the bottom panel to shatter. It was a fresh water. I was on the 2nd floor and I do not have to explain that.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back