My Honest Opinion About The Alkatronic

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends on whether you believe Neptune will come out with the Trident in a month.

What? Trident that's not even on the market is the gold standard already LOL

Hey everyone. So to buy or not to buy?

Thanks!

I've had one for 4 month's, I'd buy one again - Setup with the bluetooth in the beginning was retarded but thats now been improved i believe + a lot of it can now be done via the website instead also. Physical operation of it (readings) i give it a 10 out of 10.
I have a V2 & the 1 dose head is still a bit noisy - they up to V3 now & its supposed to have been silenced some more.

stevenlu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What? Trident that's not even on the market is the gold standard already LOL

I've had one for 4 month's, I'd buy one again - Setup with the bluetooth in the beginning was retarded but thats now been improved i believe + a lot of it can now be done via the website instead also. Physical operation of it (readings) i give it a 10 out of 10.
I have a V2 & the 1 dose head is still a bit noisy - they up to V3 now & its supposed to have been silenced some more.
Wow that's very high of a score. I'll look more into it thank you!

Kalibur2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What bnc cable is everyone using to connect to apex. I bought a coaxial cable did not fit

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow that's very high of a score. I'll look more into it thank you!

I’ve had mine up and running since June. Working flawlessly and I’m entirely dependent on it. If it went down, I honesty don’t know what I’d do to keep my SPS reef stable. 100% buy it and I promise you will be glad you did!!

stevenlu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had mine up and running since June. Working flawlessly and I’m entirely dependent on it. If it went down, I honesty don’t know what I’d do to keep my SPS reef stable. 100% buy it and I promise you will be glad you did!!
Looking forward to is. saltwateraquariums is sold out on the 3rd batch, I'm guessing that's the one i should buy?

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What bnc cable is everyone using to connect to apex. I bought a coaxial cable did not fit
You need a male to male BNC Cable, mine looks like this: http://a.co/d/jlvVpwm

Looking forward to is. saltwateraquariums is sold out on the 3rd batch, I'm guessing that's the one i should buy?
Yes, anything you find in stock should be the 3rd version, but the only difference between v2 and v3 is the front door internal shape and the way pump C is mounted. pump C is the one that dispenses the reagent during the test and in v3 it gets quieted down a bit. I have a v2 and it doesn't bother me anymore. The other 2 pumps they quieted down - A and B, used to be seriously loud. They're the ones that pumped in tank water and pumped it out down the drain.

the only other change i remember between v2 and v3 is that v3 has some sort of drain pan in it, but I'm not really sure how useful that would be. It wouldn't be useful to me, anyway.

stevenlu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, anything you find in stock should be the 3rd version, but the only difference between v2 and v3 is the front door internal shape and the way pump C is mounted. pump C is the one that dispenses the reagent during the test and in v3 it gets quieted down a bit. I have a v2 and it doesn't bother me anymore. The other 2 pumps they quieted down - A and B, used to be seriously loud. They're the ones that pumped in tank water and pumped it out down the drain.

the only other change i remember between v2 and v3 is that v3 has some sort of drain pan in it, but I'm not really sure how useful that would be. It wouldn't be useful to me, anyway.
So do you think I should wait for the v3 to restock or just buy the v2?

stevenlu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Silence, accuracy, and stability(not failing) are my main concerns.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough question. You can always contact Focustronic and upgrade a v2 to a v3, but if you just got a v3, that'd be the easiest. You're saying you know of a v2 in stock somewhere that you can buy right now? Most everything I imagine you'll find is a v3

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silence, accuracy, and stability(not failing) are my main concerns.
The only difference will be the pump for reagent will be quieter, resulting in a very quiet overall experience. out of a 12 minute test, I would guess that the reagent pump will pulse 1s on/1s off for like 4 or 5 of those 12 minutes (I think, I've never measured it)

There is no difference in anything else regarding accuracy or stability

stevenlu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough question. You can always contact Focustronic and upgrade a v2 to a v3, but if you just got a v3, that'd be the easiest. You're saying you know of a v2 in stock somewhere that you can buy right now? Most everything I imagine you'll find is a v3
Thank you Mark. Yes, the V3 are all sold out online are waiting for a restock. Everything I can find now is a V2. Ok, I guess I'll just wait! Thank you!

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are in the USA, I'd contact Coral View and see if they stock the new door and pump silencing kit and see what they charge for it. You can spend 5 minutes converting a v2 to a v3 and be up and running shortly. The drain on the v3 i don't think is a big deal.

Kalibur2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I connected the bnc trying to figure out how to get it to show on apex fusion. I used my orp port for now

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'll need to look at the ph2 port probably and not the orp graph. Enable base_ph2 and disable base_orp in the inputs section in apex

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else having major issues with the cloud not updating scheduled tests?

I am holding off on any posting/review of my experience until my unit either gets repaired to work 100% or I get my money back.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back