My Honest Opinion About The Alkatronic

LimestoneCowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got our Alkatronic in and running the other day. It seems like it’s super dialed in for about 12hrs and then it’s creeping up about .65 dkh over a few hours. Hanna shows same reading from yesterday. Any thoughts or things I could try? Thx
6c8932cd1dfddf392523b45473884b92.jpg

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the Alkatronic today, easy enough once I gave up using my android phone and borrowed the wife's iPad. I'll be using it as a monitor for now, I'm dosing ATI Essentials with 2 DOS. Hardware seems to be very high quality, I ordered from SaltwaterAquarium.com and it came with a 250ml bottle of reagent concentrate.

Capture.PNG

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have some of my reefing buddies that are interested in the Alkatronic (since they see how well it works for me). Question is do you guys think there will be a decrease in price for the Alkatronic now that the Trident is out in NSI testing?

I could always use one for my frag tank if the price is right. Also gonna give the Trident a long hard look for the frag tank. Don't care about calcium/magnesium too much, but just want to make the best choice for my frag tank. Either gonna be manually measuring everything (oh my god) and dosing (definitely will be dosing instead of running CaRx on the frag tank).

Looking at the combination of the Alkatronic and Dosetronic is going to be too expensive at current pricing for my frag tank. Not too interested in paying more for components than I did for the entire tank.

Decisions, decisions. :confused:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be interesting to see the final cost of the trident and even more interesting the operating cost with the reagent.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the things I’ve found very interesting about the trident getting sent out to NSI testers is how folks are exclaiming how this is a game changer in reefing and how we will have new data never available before. While I’ll concede that tracking calcium and magnesium will be nifty, it’s not like folks haven’t alreafy been tracking alk for years with quite a few different systems. I’m curious to see the relationship of mg/ca/kH boil out over time, but so far I’ve seen my calcium and mg parallel kH

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the things I’ve found very interesting about the trident getting sent out to NSI testers is how folks are exclaiming how this is a game changer in reefing and how we will have new data never available before. While I’ll concede that tracking calcium and magnesium will be nifty, it’s not like folks haven’t alreafy been tracking alk for years with quite a few different systems. I’m curious to see the relationship of mg/ca/kH boil out over time, but so far I’ve seen my calcium and mg parallel kH

Same results here @markstubb. I do not have to add any additional calcium/magnesium since I have been running my calcium reactor a few months ago. The only interest I have in the Trident is solely because I am a gadget guy by nature. When it is released and the overall cost are known, then I'll make a decision to either get it or look into the Dosetronic.

Alkatronic was a easy decision compared to the other dKH units on the market.

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never double post but the traffic on the other users thread is more spotty and I thought I might get a reply on this thread, this is also the thread that has helped me. If you have time, What are opinions about what to do with large discrepency between the Alkotronic and Hannah Meter? see below @mitch91175 @JonasRoman @markstubb

Finally set up my Alkatronic yesterday. I am going to love this machine. I just know it. Once I have all of it figured out and can get it to adjust dose when needed, through my APEX it will be amazing. A few observations. Jonas is super helpful, messaged me through Facebook within minutes of my message to "Alkatroniic". He walked me through the Android connection (which I never got to work). I spent a few hours trying with my android phone, and Jonas was right there along the way, but no luck. I read in the thread about how much better iOS works and picked up the wifey's iPad and, voila, was on in 5 seconds. I'll tackle Bluetooth later. Everything was going great and the machine was working flawlessly to calibrate everything. I was just getting ready to run my first batch of tests, the 2-5 recommended first tests, when I screwed up my entire bottle of mixed reagent by trying to save the little bit of reagent I had used when calibrating pump C. I picked up the wrong measuring cup and poured water in the solution. No idea how much, UGGG, so ******. So I mixed up what concentrated reagent I had left and started the 2-5 first run tests. My alk is extremely low on my cycling tank, lol, did not know that. The tests went from 6.75>6.72>6.66>6.61, then tested every 2 hours for the following readings 6.72>6.66>6.72>6.75>6.80 This seems like it's stable and in the same range. I found that my Hannah meter read 6.0 when the Alkatronic read those first 4 test readings. Way off. Any thoughts on this??

I would like to set this up with my Apex DOS, if anyone has experience with that and can tell me how it is working out for you, I would like to hear.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never double post but the traffic on the other users thread is more spotty and I thought I might get a reply on this thread, this is also the thread that has helped me. If you have time, What are opinions about what to do with large discrepency between the Alkotronic and Hannah Meter? see below @mitch91175 @JonasRoman @markstubb

Finally set up my Alkatronic yesterday. I am going to love this machine. I just know it. Once I have all of it figured out and can get it to adjust dose when needed, through my APEX it will be amazing. A few observations. Jonas is super helpful, messaged me through Facebook within minutes of my message to "Alkatroniic". He walked me through the Android connection (which I never got to work). I spent a few hours trying with my android phone, and Jonas was right there along the way, but no luck. I read in the thread about how much better iOS works and picked up the wifey's iPad and, voila, was on in 5 seconds. I'll tackle Bluetooth later. Everything was going great and the machine was working flawlessly to calibrate everything. I was just getting ready to run my first batch of tests, the 2-5 recommended first tests, when I screwed up my entire bottle of mixed reagent by trying to save the little bit of reagent I had used when calibrating pump C. I picked up the wrong measuring cup and poured water in the solution. No idea how much, UGGG, so ******. So I mixed up what concentrated reagent I had left and started the 2-5 first run tests. My alk is extremely low on my cycling tank, lol, did not know that. The tests went from 6.75>6.72>6.66>6.61, then tested every 2 hours for the following readings 6.72>6.66>6.72>6.75>6.80 This seems like it's stable and in the same range. I found that my Hannah meter read 6.0 when the Alkatronic read those first 4 test readings. Way off. Any thoughts on this??

I would like to set this up with my Apex DOS, if anyone has experience with that and can tell me how it is working out for you, I would like to hear.

@slojmn, something that I do when I change reagent is to remove any offset that I may have, run test after changing the reagent, then enter the offset if the test have any variance between my Hanna and Alkatronic. That way if I make any mistake with the reagent, I can offset that mistake.

I think that you'll have some variance between the Hanna and Alkatronic if your reagent isn't perfect. Even then, I do feel that you will have some variance between the 2. I feel the key is to have a consistent range for your dKH more than being 100% accurate (just doesn't exists). If you are measuring 6dKH on the Hanna and 7dKH on the Alkatronic, then there is an issue somewhere. The smaller the variance, the better. Also when testing, be sure to get the water from the tank in the same area (preferably from a place where you do not add additional alkalinity). I add alkalinity to the sump, but test from the display.

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mitch91175 how do I perform the offset entry. Also, my alkatronic is testing every 2 hours even though I have it set for 8 hrs interval. It shows a green light while connected to the Alkatronic on the iPad and I save the settings but it continues to test at 2 hr interval. The testing reading is far below the low dKH reading, maybe that is causing more testing than I want??

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mitch91175 how do I perform the offset entry. Also, my alkatronic is testing every 2 hours even though I have it set for 8 hrs interval. It shows a green light while connected to the Alkatronic on the iPad and I save the settings but it continues to test at 2 hr interval. The testing reading is far below the low dKH reading, maybe that is causing more testing than I want??

You do it under "Baseline Calibration":

upload_2019-1-27_12-3-39.png

With you dKH being below your range, it'll test every 2 hours until it falls back into your range.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes I believe so, if it’s out of range it’ll continue to test. I do not own one, but I do think I remember reading that that.

dirtysock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, just got my Alkatronic setup and calibrated few days ago.

Followed the manual and calibration without any fail. All calibration is on point.

Regent mixed with 200ml part and 800ml RO water to create 1 litre of testing regent. (Used weighing scale)
KH additive mixed with 81grams of baking soda with 1 litre of RO water.

However, the dkh reading of Alkatronic is puzzling me. Attached 2 image of the reading so far.
U1Z4ftt.png

bnxKLYj.png

My tank is currently cycling (with zeovit method), so my dkh shouldn't jump too much as nothing is be consumed.

I compared it with a salifert kh test kit and the result is widely different.

1st salifert kh reading: 6.7kh
2nd salifert kh reading: 6.7kh

I went on to check the Alkatronic accuracy via this youtube video.

I got a syringe reading of 0.55, which means 0.45*250*0.056 = 6.3 kh

I dont know why it kept reporting as 8-9kh.

Need some help on why my reading is 'off'

Last edited:

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone i think i'm going to buy this unit after reading most of this thread. I think this and then paring it with the dosetronic when released will be much better and more cost effective then the trident when released. That being said what are most of you guys buying in terms of reagent the 1L or 4L? I spoke to Jonas today and he they last about 2 years shelf life wise with good margins after that i guess the reagent doesn't test as accurate. Thx for any input on this matter.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a similar issue with red sea alk test not matching the alkatronic results. I was told to get a salifert test and see how it compared to the alkatronic's results. Lo and behold, the salifert was spot on.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dirtysock, I see you use zeo products. I've noticed that certain things will spike my alk reading. For example, if I dose coral snow, that will cause a high reading. I suspect it is a false reading.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone i think i'm going to buy this unit after reading most of this thread. I think this and then paring it with the dosetronic when released will be much better and more cost effective then the trident when released. That being said what are most of you guys buying in terms of reagent the 1L or 4L? I spoke to Jonas today and he they last about 2 years shelf life wise with good margins after that i guess the reagent doesn't test as accurate. Thx for any input on this matter.

I read through the thread and ended up buying one, I'm very happy with it. I ordered from Saltwater Aquarium and it came with a 250ml bottle of reagent, I wasn't expecting it and ordered a 4L.

After dilution the 4L should be approximately 2500 tests.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read through the thread and ended up buying one, I'm very happy with it. I ordered from Saltwater Aquarium and it came with a 250ml bottle of reagent, I wasn't expecting it and ordered a 4L.

After dilution the 4L should be approximately 2500 tests.
how many times a day do you test?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back