My journey from a high nitrate system converted to full Triton

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another system that's ran the full triton method since the end of May. With the exception of testing and tweaking things the first few weeks of using the method, I litterly haven't done anything but clean the glass, fill the top off water, empty the skimmer cup, and test alk. I have 31 species of SPS that are doing well.

Since then I've realized how much salt I was wasting, as well as time I've spent messing around for no apparent reason. I've really been thinking over the last few months on ways I could make this work on another system that I have. This tank is several years old and houses some messy eaters, including a 20" eel. The filtration started out as a wet dry years ago, and has evolved into a home made basement sump made from a 50 gallon tank for the last few years. To most standards it should have been fine.

The last time I tested nitrates it was off the chart on the Red Sea kit, and a little over 60 on Salifert. Surprisingly triton says my phosphate is .08, as I don't use GFO at all. I've found it to be more hurtful then useful. Also this tank accumulates very little algae on the glass, as cleaning it once a week has been fine. I haven't found doing larger water changes to be any more useful then smaller changes, but I've been doing 17% weekly changes religiously. So the whole dynamic of no water changes scares me a bit on how high or nasty things could get.

Since the whole theme of triton is to focus on filtration, with the limited designs of sumps on the market I decided to build my own, triton style. My first chamber is the fuge and is approximately 45% of my display volume. I made the second chamber large enough to house two skimmers if need be, and my return chamber large enough to house any submersible aquarium pump on the market (within reason). I've been testing the apex cor 20, and the pump is doing really well. I've upgraded my old LED fuge lighting to the kessil h380, and went back to my old euro reef skimmer. It may be old and obsolete, but I can tell you I haven't used a modern skimmer that pulls the dark volume of junk this skimmer pulls on a weekly basis. I've also added a 4 head ghl doser. I'll be combining 3a and 3b, and using the 4th head for vinegar mixed with kalk to offset the ph drop that high dosing may contribute to. We'll see.

While I was ripping the old stuff out I decided to build a much needed mounting board for the cords and cables that has drove me nuts for a long time.

Here is a days worth of progress. More tomorrow!

IMG_6944.JPG

IMG_6941.JPG

IMG_6943.JPG

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty good. I intend to try the triton method myself on my next build too. Keep us posted please!

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. So far so good. I've been dosing one ml of kalk saturated vinegar per hour. Nitrates are slightly over 25 on the Salifert chart and dropping. Anything 20 or below should be perfectly acceptable in this system. The only glitch has been programming the ghl doser. Whoever designed the software for the normal person to get that running needs to be kicked in the nuts.

IMG_6946.JPG

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. So far so good. I've been dosing one ml of kalk saturated vinegar per hour. Nitrates are slightly over 25 on the Salifert chart and dropping. Anything 20 or below should be perfectly acceptable in this system. The only glitch has been programming the ghl doser. Whoever designed the software for the normal person to get that running needs to be kicked in the nuts.

IMG_6946.JPG

What's wrong? I have heard a lot of good things about the GHL doses. But I don't have one so I am curious about the issue you ran into as I am looking for a second dosed myself.

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's wrong? I have heard a lot of good things about the GHL doses. But I don't have one so I am curious about the issue you ran into as I am looking for a second dosed myself.
It's definitely not a plug and play device. Having to program everything via Microsoft laptop. It made my first apex seem easy. If it hadn't been for a few people here helping me along the way I'd have sent it back and never figured it out. The instructions suck and are lacking. And tech support was non existent. It took me days to get it sorted and it's still not right. I can control it all via iPhone now, which is really all I care about, but still can't connect via laptop using the core functions. I got through it with the USB. Honestly it's computer programmer language without instructions. Don't get me wrong, once running I believe it's the best doser available to us. The whole process left a bad taste.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might reconsider placing your Core7 bottles ABOVE your sump like that. A loose roller in the dosing pump, and you could siphon the entire bottle into the system at once. Bad juju :)

I've got a new setup, wet about 4 months now, that was designed to run Triton. I started dosing Core7 once the initial bio filter was up and running, and started having film algae problems, and bleaching of some of my monitpora coral frags. I have halted dosing Core7 for now... I plan to resume dosing Core7 when the system is a bit more mature.

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might reconsider placing your Core7 bottles ABOVE your sump like that. A loose roller in the dosing pump, and you could siphon the entire bottle into the system at once. Bad juju :)

I've got a new setup, wet about 4 months now, that was designed to run Triton. I started dosing Core7 once the initial bio filter was up and running, and started having film algae problems, and bleaching of some of my monitpora coral frags. I have halted dosing Core7 for now... I plan to resume dosing Core7 when the system is a bit more mature.
True, I know there is a potential for syphon failure, but I'm thinking it would be a rare situation. The reason I did it that way was because on my other system I kept having air pockets occur in the tubing and I felt if I didn't keep purging the air out it might be inaccurate over time. I can't physically blow pressure through the lines, so although you are absolutely correct, I think I may take a chance. I collect no air pockets this way.

My other system is about a year old now. I also did get some unwanted algae.. still do. Even a bit of cyano, which I've never had. I think triton could stand to back off the macro elements a bit. I've even though about cocktailing the full and non full bottles together. I feel for me that would be ideal. You may consider the non full core7 for a few months too. I'm not sure about you, but I've never had a problem growing macro with bulk two part.

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update. So far I'd say it's been so much more successful then I though Possible. I started off dosing kalk saturated vinegar at about 52 ml a day. When nitrates got down to the 30 range I backed off 50%. Nitrates and phosphate continued to decline as I dropped the the dose each week. About two weeks ago my phosphate bottomed out and I've been adding .25 ml liquid phosphate each morning to keep it in the .02 range. Two days ago my nitrates tested zero with Red Sea low nitrate test. My vinegar doser is off and for the first time I've had to add potassium nitrate. I've also managed to finish off the basement hiding the filtration system.

IMG_0096.JPG

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! And that's a great looking sump closet! I have a sump closet, but it's not nearly as elegant :) Sliding mirrored doors... I may check pricing on a pair of double doors like those and see what it'd cost to swap them out. Looks great, much more open.

I've switched to Kalk, just running my ATO through a Tunze 5074 calcium doser. It's more than sufficient to my calc/alk needs at the moment. Will likely return to Core7 when I pass the point that Kalk alone can keep up.

I've gotten to the point where I'm feeding 3 cubes a day to my dozen or so small fish, and still don't have measurable nitrate or phosphate. I'm doing the research, and may start dosing them in the near future.

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That's cool. Nothing wrong with kalk. Supplementing kalk/vinegar with the core 7 is working well. My biggest concern with the vinegar/kalk solution, aside from ph, was having some contaminates build up without doing the water changes. Since running without changing any water (5 months?) my last triton test was spot on. No heavy metals and just the usual top off of the minor traces. I used kalk years ago but my bigger problem was not having a doser. I'd tie a knot in some air tube and let it drip. For obvious reasons that never worked out. We are so lucky to have dosing pumps now days.

I've had far more problems running zero N and P then high numbers. Anymore (referring primarily to my other sps system) I make sure they don't bottom out. I don't feed as many cubes as you do to the fish.. probably half. But then I feed my eel a large amount every few days. She is about as big around as a small femaes wrist. Luckily she doesn't require the volume of food that she used to. Cool creature but I can't say I'd have another.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back