My Kole Tang is still thin....any ideas?

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She has been like this for almost 2 months now.
I am feeding twice daily with NLS pellets, flakes or Mysis shrimp and she is getting multiple pieces each time. I also feed 3x a week brown seaweed.

What's the deal here?

tangthin.jpg

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple? As in does the fish continue to look for food even after its gone? Or just eats a few pieces then thats it? Doesn't look like its eating enough.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try giving daily nori. I would also rotate between the green, brown and red varieties.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Red and green and she wont touch it. It sits in there for 48hrs before ending up being blown around.

Heres a rough daily estimate: I probably give estimate 20 pellets worth in the AM of NLS Pellets. In the evening about 1/4 cube of Mysis in garlic. How does that sound for 2 clowns, 1 royal gramma and the Kole tang?
The other fish look very healthy.

Here's another photo:
tangthin2.jpg

Last edited:

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think you may have not treated with prazipro correctly? I would think if the kole has been eating than it would be gaining weight.. Possible worm?

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't, he hasn't improved at all? In the future don't move a fish over to your display until it's 100%.

Honestly I am not sure what the issue could be. Hopefully someone sees the thread and can help ya out.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't, he hasn't improved at all? In the future don't move a fish over to your display until it's 100%.

Honestly I am not sure what the issue could be. Hopefully someone sees the thread and can help ya out.

In the QT she was fine. Normal weight eating normal so I moved over at the 4 week mark. Then about a month later in the DT she was much thinner and its been like that for another month.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the QT she was fine. Normal weight eating normal so I moved over at the 4 week mark. Then about a month later in the DT she was much thinner and its been like that for another month.

Weird.. I have a purple tang in qt where reverse is happening. I picked him up skinny and treating with prazipro and feeding a lot and he's gaining weight.

It may be worth it to try a diff food. I was recommended to use Herbivore frenzy for a sick Achilles tang I brought home in QT. He went nuts for it and the purple does now too. It may be worth it too try and get your hands on some.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what should I do now? Can I fix this in the DT as I feel like at this point moving back to QT might kill her since she's already so thin.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro is "reef safe" though it warns it may kill ornamental feather dusters. You would need to turn off skimmer, as well as carbon and UV (if you run either). With no skimmer, O2 can be an issue so you would need to make sure you keep your water oxygenated (pointing a powerhead up at the water surface is the easiest method).

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, your tang is in bad shape. An internal parasite is possible, (are its feces pale white, like string?) so is a bowel impaction. During capture, shipping and the journey to your aquarium, it's possible for fish to eat something they shouldn't have. It impacts the bowel, and eventually leads to their demise. While the fish may eat well, it appears as though they are wasting away. There is no real treatment for bowel impaction, and given the appearance of your fish, I fear that treatment for an internal parasite may be past due. I would suggest, at this point, getting some safety stop by Blue Zoo Aquatics, and doing a daily dip on the fish. Also, there are a variety of medicated foods on the market, start feeding those several times a day.

SABOB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the New Era Marine Grazer.....Tang,Foxface and Pygmy Angel all love it

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a chance that she will fight it off naturally if I purchase Selcon and start soaking everything I feed in it?

She has looked like this for over a month...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back