Mimic tang not eating seaweed

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had my mimic tang for about a month now. Hes constantly grazing the rockwork which is a good thing but I am worried to ensure hes getting enough algae. I buy spirulina/mysis shrimp mix and the hikari mega algae fix frozen. I tend to always add in mysis with both of these frozen foods for the other fish. I notice my tang will only eat majority shrimp and very few algae.

I tried adding seaweed on the magnetic holder but its so scared of the holder that it wont go near the seaweed. Today was my 4th attempt and still no luck.
IMG_1591.jpeg

I bought this type. Not sure if its any good or not.
IMG_1592.jpeg

Should I be worried? How much algae should a tang be eating. Im trying my best and want to make sure it has a healthy diet. Anyone have similar issues? BTW I do one heavy feeding a day.
IMG_1593.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1591.jpeg
Should I be worried? How much algae should a tang be eating.
Try just letting the nori flap loose in the current. The Tang may have grown up in a family that wasn't OK with drugs. That looks like a blunt, I won't let my kids have it.

Many new fish dont seem to recognize dried nori as food until they see another fish eating it. Leave it in there until they figure it out.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal for fish to not trust new things.
That algae wafer is fine, using it for years on end.
In time, he’ll see the clip is not bad but good, don’t move it
My tangs take from the clip but if I move it to opposite side, they leave it.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can rubber band it to a rock so when he is picking he sees it and learns its food and then move it to the clip. You can also dunk it in garlic before putting it in the tank so he smells the garlic, my tangs go nuts for garlic

OP
OP
Aeb1419

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can rubber band it to a rock so when he is picking he sees it and learns its food and then move it to the clip. You can also dunk it in garlic before putting it in the tank so he smells the garlic, my tangs go nuts for garlic
Like a liquid? What kind you use?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just leave the Nori in the tank on the clip until it breaks apart and small bits float around. Once it floats around, out of curiosity, the tangs will start to bite it and find that it is food.
It takes a little while for the fish start to recognized Nori is an eatable food. Once they know, they will tackle it like there is no tomorrow. Fishes mimic and learn from each other. when one start eating the rest will with no problem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back