New regal angel, not eating yet

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a new yellow belly regal from petco online (Quality Marine). He's about 4", really nice looking and fat, looks healthy. Went into quarantine yesterday and not eating yet. I've had two other regals and both ate straight away.. Hope this guy will eat soon. Not too worried yet but we'll see.

So far tried Seaweed Extreme by Hikari and Hikari Mysis.

Just ordered from amazon some garlic guard to enhance flavor, Easy Serve Masstick, and New Life Spectrum Thera A.

If this doesnt work, will try live black worms.

I once had a beautiful potters angel, maybe 4.5" but couldnt get him to eat and after 3 weeks he died.

ANything else that is good to entice him to eat?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a chance he could pull out, a very decent chance
try Formula 2 or better yet something live YES maybe black worms or brine shrimp,,,

but Normally I don’t drop cred on how many online so fish Ive ordered but suffice to say I’d order the next one from Marinecollectors or DrReef

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a new yellow belly regal from petco online (Quality Marine). He's about 4", really nice looking and fat, looks healthy. Went into quarantine yesterday and not eating yet. I've had two other regals and both ate straight away.. Hope this guy will eat soon. Not too worried yet but we'll see.

So far tried Seaweed Extreme by Hikari and Hikari Mysis.

Just ordered from amazon some garlic guard to enhance flavor, Easy Serve Masstick, and New Life Spectrum Thera A.

If this doesnt work, will try live black worms.

I once had a beautiful potters angel, maybe 4.5" but couldnt get him to eat and after 3 weeks he died.

ANything else that is good to entice him to eat?
Clams on the half shell! Got my regal eating day two. She devours them

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams on the half shell! Got my regal eating day two. She devours them
Ditto. Add pellets to the clam and it will get a taste for them. Go to the fresh sea food section and buy the clam.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto. Add pellets to the clam and it will get a taste for them. Go to the fresh sea food section and buy the clam.
I wouldnt suggest pellets as much as some flakes. For some reason Ive found regals will eat some flakes and then I up grade them to frozen foods with garlic. I put garlic on the clams too so the smell is the same with the foods and they catch on. My current regal is not tank boss and loves her food

Attachments

• IMG_5091.jpeg
    IMG_5091.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will try clams..

For bloodworms, where do you get them? Live or frozen?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will try clams..

For bloodworms, where do you get them? Live or frozen?
Some LFS have them live. I never had luck with my fish liking them, but I tried frozen cubes so maybe live ones are different!

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to cut the clams up or serve it whole (half shell)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Sounds kind of cool. I never would have thought about that. Did you literally just open a clam up and put it in the tank?
They are frozen and cut in half already. I just thaw it and throw it in for her. I have to throw about 10 or so in now because the french angel, triggers, and now tangs have started going after them since she devours them with such excitement lol. I hand feed a table shrimp to the triggers every few days as a treat and she comes up and rips into it with them now!

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are frozen and cut in half already. I just thaw it and throw it in for her. I have to throw about 10 or so in now because the french angel, triggers, and now tangs have started going after them since she devours them with such excitement lol. I hand feed a table shrimp to the triggers every few days as a treat and she comes up and rips into it with them now!
Well that is just awesome, where do you get them?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that is just awesome, where do you get them?
I either order from BRS, saltwateraquarium.com or my LFS when they have them! Saltwateraquarium.com also has two different variety packs of frozen food that I get too when I order the clams. Also get silversides and other foods for the eels from them!

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs is out of clams in half shell. Do you think I could pick up clams at asian market in the seafood section, will that work? They might be live but its in full shell. I can
Snap off the half shell. The lfs supply will be back in stock next week.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs is out of clams in half shell. Do you think I could pick up clams at asian market in the seafood section, will that work? They might be live but its in full shell. I can
Snap off the half shell. The lfs supply will be back in stock next week.
Yes that works too!

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the clams in a half shell, frozen at another LFS. I offered two to the regal. One was thawed out and other was thawed out and soaked in garlic.

He didnt seem to care too much for it. I obserbed for about 5 minutes.. I left for dinner and came back and something definitely picked at the clam soaked in garlic.

Problem is, I have a 1.5" juvi melanurus wrasse in the same QT tank. I have no idea which fish picked on the clam.

The wrasse seems to have little interest in the clam and he swims right by it and hasnt niped at it since I came back. The regal also doesnt seem interested either.. Which could it be.

I will offer it again tomorrow to see if he will eat it.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the clams in a half shell, frozen at another LFS. I offered two to the regal. One was thawed out and other was thawed out and soaked in garlic.

He didnt seem to care too much for it. I obserbed for about 5 minutes.. I left for dinner and came back and something definitely picked at the clam soaked in garlic.

Problem is, I have a 1.5" juvi melanurus wrasse in the same QT tank. I have no idea which fish picked on the clam.

The wrasse seems to have little interest in the clam and he swims right by it and hasnt niped at it since I came back. The regal also doesnt seem interested either.. Which could it be.

I will offer it again tomorrow to see if he will eat it.
Might take him a few days to try it. Where is he from?

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might take him a few days to try it. Where is he from?

This guy is from petco.com (online) and I am told it ships from Quality Marine in Los Angeles. He looks healthy.. just not eating.

I just offered him live bloodworms as well, and looked at it but didnt care.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is from petco.com (online) and I am told it ships from Quality Marine in Los Angeles. He looks healthy.. just not eating.

I just offered him live bloodworms as well, and looked at it but didnt care.
Hum what ocean is he from? Indo or red sea?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back