My Magnificent Sea Anemone Journey....

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine definitely has a strong sting. If I’m doing tank work and am careless about brushing up against it, I can definitely feel it stinging/burning and the burn lasts a couple days. Giganteas seem to be more sticky, in my experience.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine definitely has a strong sting. If I’m doing tank work and am careless about brushing up against it, I can definitely feel it stinging/burning and the burn lasts a couple days. Giganteas seem to be more sticky, in my experience.
Wow.. thanks for the information.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Family i have a question.... how potent is the a healthy Mag sting? I know carpets are pretty potent and Bubbletips on the weaker end. I ask because feeding my Mag with tongs...i feel how sticky it is when removing the tongs.

I dont have particularly sensitive skin, but my old Yellow tipped H.Mag will burn the backs of your fingers/hands/wrists if you touch it. It feels like a chemical burn, (cause that's basically what it is) and you feel it quickly (within a few seconds) and it lasts for about 30 minutes. It isnt "painful" but it isnt pleasant either.
It took several years for it to get that "strong". Initially it was just sticky.

My current purple based one has never had a similar effect, and it's been in my care (for the most part) since Nov 2011.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnifica does not sting much, not very sticky. However, when they do it is fairly potent. Magnifica often wipe out tank other than clownfish when they get partially damage by PH just like Gigantea and Haddoni.

I had one wipe out all fish except for my clowns after wandering into a powerhead. Including a Red Sea Regal Angel that had just started eating flake food....sigh.
That hurt.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one wipe out all fish except for my clowns after wandering into a powerhead. Including a Red Sea Regal Angel that had just started eating flake food....sigh.
That hurt.
Not to sound cryptic, what were the signs? Heavy breathing.... what?

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly didnt have a warning.
Tank is downstairs, it was the day after Thanksgiving.
Woke up, went downstairs, and every fish by the clowns were motionless with expanded gill plates on the bottom of the tank and being blown with the current.
Externally, they appeared to look fine, so I'm assuming it was a respiratory issue related to nematocysts being released from the tentacles being shredded. But since a necropsy was not done on any of the fish, it's just conjecture from me.

I didnt lose anything else in the event, no corals, no shrimp, Derasa clam was fine, so were my clowns...so I'm assuming the gills were damaged by free floating nematocysts.

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly didnt have a warning.
Tank is downstairs, it was the day after Thanksgiving.
Woke up, went downstairs, and every fish by the clowns were motionless with expanded gill plates on the bottom of the tank and being blown with the current.
Externally, they appeared to look fine, so I'm assuming it was a respiratory issue related to nematocysts being released from the tentacles being shredded. But since a necropsy was not done on any of the fish, it's just conjecture from me.

I didnt lose anything else in the event, no corals, no shrimp, Derasa clam was fine, so were my clowns...so I'm assuming the gills were damaged by free floating nematocysts.
Same thing happened to me last year. I lost about 90% of my fish except for the smallest fish and my clowns. I hypothesized that the shredded stinging cells in the water stung the gills and made them swell up so the fish suffocated. Smaller fish were too small to allow the stinging bits into the gills and the clowns were immune. My own hypothesis though.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's as good as anything else I could theorize.
I can definitively state that anemones getting sucked into powerheads/pump intakes is bad for the anemone, and may not be good for fish.

Captain Obvious here saying stay tuned for more reef keeping tips and tricks next week.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Family and good evening. Another update...Houston we have progress! Ill take pix tomorrow if i dont forget, but the anemone is really starting to color up now....Its getting a light purple "haze" to it and its growing. I notice during feeding the anemone is very aggressive and very sticky, also the tentacles are getting longer as well.

Oh and on a side note.... the installation of my generator has begun!!

1601874347181.png

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning family. As promised and i didnt forget!! Here is an updated pic from the same location for comparison purposes. You can clearly see its not nearly as bleached as it was before and is now getting a purple "Haze". Ill date stamp pix below.

Aug 6th

1601914901450.png

Sept 4th

1601914936104.png

Today Oct 5th

1601914992773.png

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good morning family. As promised and i didnt forget!! Here is an updated pic from the same location for comparison purposes. You can clearly see its not nearly as bleached as it was before and is now getting a purple "Haze". Ill date stamp pix below.

Looking good! I'd say in a month it'll be back to full coloration.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aug 6th

1601914901450.png

Sept 4th

1601914936104.png

Today Oct 5th

1601914992773.png

Hey Family and good evening. Another update...Houston we have progress! Ill take pix tomorrow if i dont forget, but the anemone is really starting to color up now....Its getting a light purple "haze" to it and its growing. I notice during feeding the anemone is very aggressive and very sticky, also the tentacles are getting longer as well.

1601874347181.png
I'm jealous!

Is your Genset natural gas powered or another fuel source?

The nem is looking better day by day. I suspect full coloration is a little longer out than a month, but I bet it comes in sooner than you think. Keep it up!

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm jealous!

Is your Genset natural gas powered or another fuel source?

The nem is looking better day by day. I suspect full coloration is a little longer out than a month, but I bet it comes in sooner than you think. Keep it up!
Hey @Maxx, its uses natural gas that run my appliances in my home. Feeding for me has been the key its coming around.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1601874347181.png

Peace of mind = priceless! Particularly if you’re in the ‘path’ .... or live in a state with an old electrical grid ..... like CT.

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sdot, did you ever pinpoint what caused your mag to bleach? Was it just due to cipro treatment, or was it something else?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back