OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what makes you think it will split soon? I have had mine since 2016 and looks and behaves a lot like yours.
A few things, the anemone is massive... last time I measured it.. it was over 26 inches across. Its grown since then, also it appeared to deflate.. which isn't a good sign...it was like that for a day. Upon closer inspection after it return back to normal... there is a visible line crease running through the middle of it and through its mouth.... It might be a thing it might not.... but the signs are pointing in that direction.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When mine split it sorta deflated a little and has dilated mouth. It just looking sick the I suddenly able to see rock through the mouth. Then it proceed to split apart. One side first then the other.
I had about 6 or 7 divisions of Magnificas in my tank over the year. Healthy ones finish the division within 24 hrs.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When mine split it sorta deflated a little and has dilated mouth. It just looking sick the I suddenly able to see rock through the mouth. Then it proceed to split apart. One side first then the other.
I had about 6 or 7 divisions of Magnificas in my tank over the year. Healthy ones finish the division within 24 hrs.
Thank you! That's good to know. Things seem back to normal so...I guess time will tell.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the last 4-5 mags I’ve had have done me the courtesy of splitting …. Despite some of them getting really large (30” plus). I’ve always given them a lot of space, so perhaps that is part of the reason. Although my current ward split in its prior caretaker’s tank, no such accommodation for me. It’s about 18”.

B4050D32-D617-4A4D-8EE4-B6B4FF049146.jpeg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the last 4-5 mags I’ve had have done me the courtesy of splitting …. Despite some of them getting really large (30” plus). I’ve always given them a lot of space, so perhaps that is part of the reason. Although my current ward split in its prior caretaker’s tank, no such accommodation for me. It’s about 18”.

You are doing too good of a job I think. They tend to slit when you stressed them a little. Big water change (30-50%) often do it, especially if you temperature shocked it a little.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ca1ore your pic makes me wish I still had my long polyp leather :crying-face: . My mag touched it for about 1/2 a day as it was moving and by the time I saw it and acted it was gone. It slowly fell apart, even the health parts of the leather I cut and tried to propagate. It seems they are highly sensitive to mag stings…Do you the same issue with your mag and leathers?

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had it in my head that these guys buried their feet in sand, didn't realize they went up the rockwork like this.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ca1ore your pic makes me wish I still had my long polyp leather :crying-face: . My mag touched it for about 1/2 a day as it was moving and by the time I saw it and acted it was gone. It slowly fell apart, even the health parts of the leather I cut and tried to propagate. It seems they are highly sensitive to mag stings…Do you the same issue with your mag and leathers?
Mag will destroy anything it touches. You can see some of that with the torch down and right. Mostly it stays put though, so leather safe for now. At some point. As the mag grows I’ll have to sell/trade the leather.

Plus i have a second, massive long polyp leather at the other end of the tank.

IMG_4109.jpeg

Last edited:

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag will destroy anything it touches. You can see some of that with the torch down and right. Mostly it stays put though, so leather safe for now. At some point. As the mag grows I’ll have to sell/trade the leather.

Plus i have a second, massive long polyp leather at the other end of the tank.

IMG_4109.jpeg

Wow! And I that your Mag was big! Two massive show pieces in one tank. Kudos!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back