View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine yesterday
IMG_0084.jpeg
IMG_0091.jpeg
IMG_0082.jpeg
That's neat, one of mine is exactly the reverse of yours: purple bases that go to yellow. It's bigger than a basketball but smaller than a full size beach ball.

I *really* want one with a red base, but I haven't even seen a photo of one in years...

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has inspired me to go ahead and get a mag of my own! I scaped my tank with the intent of getting one some day, but I've been holding off for really no good reason. Wish me luck, Sdot you mag is one of the best I've seen!

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sdot do you have your videos on youtube or somewhere? Videos never work on R2R for me for some reason. :(

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thread has inspired me to go ahead and get a mag of my own! I scaped my tank with the intent of getting one some day, but I've been holding off for really no good reason. Wish me luck, Sdot you mag is one of the best I've seen!

They are tuff in the beginning. I would have a tank ready to treat and even put it in that tank right away.
Just if you use a antibiotic make sure it is disposed of properly. There is no doubt in my mind it saved mine.
It looked very healthy too when I got it and still got infected. I almost lost it by not putting him in a hospital tank right away.
Once attached they are almost impossible to get out of a main tank to treat. I should have known better too I have saved allot of anemones but this new one looked so healthy.. I was just lucky when he got weak he just let loose and was not to far gone yet. I truly feel this anemone just needs to be treated. It maybe a anemone that should at this point be left in the wild.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are tuff in the beginning. I would have a tank ready to treat and even put it in that tank right away.
Just if you use a antibiotic make sure it is disposed of properly. There is no doubt in my mind it saved mine.
It looked very healthy too when I got it and still got infected. I almost lost it by not putting him in a hospital tank right away.
Once attached they are almost impossible to get out of a main tank to treat. I should have known better too I have saved allot of anemones but this new one looked so healthy.. I was just lucky when he got weak he just let loose and was not to far gone yet. I truly feel this anemone just needs to be treated. It maybe a anemone that should at this point be left in the wild.
That's my plan. I do a Cipro run with most new coral and anemones I get, so I'm familiar with the protocol. I'm excited for a new challenge!

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much. Just be prepared... they are very sensitive creatures as many have mentioned. I nearly lost mine twice. Also be careful with the treatment... it caused mine to bleach which was a double whammy.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my plan. I do a Cipro run with most new coral and anemones I get, so I'm familiar with the protocol. I'm excited for a new challenge!
It is indeed a challenge, so proceed with caution. The majority of Magnifica's are taken from the ocean and are not aquacultured like Bubble tips. I genuinely emphasize the importance of this matter, as it would be a tremendous loss if one were to perish in a captive environment due to the unpreparedness of an aquarium owner.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the tips! I plan to get mine from PEA, so whichever I get would have been in captivity for a while. It'll be a big jump, but I have maintained similar things before.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a YouTube.. but i hadn't updated in a while. Let me know if these links work

One

Two

Three
Thanks! It's a purple morph? I have a purple morph that looks similar, and a morph that's opposite of Orion's (purple to yellow).

How do you like those Gyre pumps? I tried the Red Sea versions and they were atrocious, but wondering if the maxspect or jebao versions are better?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Jebao version, but vote is still out. Only about a month in. So far doing okay. I have a 7ft long tank, so I have other powerheads, but the wave is nice.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! It's a purple morph? I have a purple morph that looks similar, and a morph that's opposite of Orion's (purple to yellow).

How do you like those Gyre pumps? I tried the Red Sea versions and they were atrocious, but wondering if the maxspect or jebao versions are better?

Red Sea gyres are made by Maxpect. I have not used the Red Sea Version though so I do not know the difference.
For Example the IceCap ones are also made by Maxpect but are a little cheaper.

I love the flow the Gyres have but they have been hard to clean is my main complaint. They have got better over the years,

I wont use them anymore though. When mine die that is it. I do not like what Maxspect did to Coralvue. I was a beta tester on the gyres and saw the work Coralvue did to bring them to market. No loyalty.

That said they do have excellent flow especially if you have a shallow tank like a frag tank..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Its a purple mag. As far as the gyre pumps... meh. They move lots of water when they are clean. The problem is when they are dirty, the drop off is pretty noticeable. Then there is the cleaning... once you start taking them apart... they start to rub or get stuck. The new ones are supposed to better... i have them so in time ill know. Honestly they are great when new, so if you are limited on space and need lots of movement.... this is a great pump...but overall...id have a hard time recommending them unless you have very specific water flow needs in a tight spot

Last edited:

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack the thread, I'm just trying to determine the best way to get a a high amount of random flow in a 120cm (~4') peninsula dedicated to mags/gigs... just go with MP40's on the wall side? My idea was two vertically mounted gyres and alternate them. I thought since it would be a tall and narrow stream that would work best, but it could be achieved with any power head I guess?

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack the thread, I'm just trying to determine the best way to get a a high amount of random flow in a 120cm (~4') peninsula dedicated to mags/gigs... just go with MP40's on the wall side? My idea was two vertically mounted gyres and alternate them. I thought since it would be a tall and narrow stream that would work best, but it could be achieved with any power head I guess?
Depends on what your tolerance is.... the gyre's can work...just dont expect them to be in the same working condition months or years later. IMO the design is poor. They do move lots of water...but as stated previously; once you start to take them apart routinely...is when they start to malfunction.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey family...back in action. Been working alot lately...just getting back to posting again. The nem is doing great... I actually think it might split here soon...let's see what happens

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what makes you think it will split soon? I have had mine since 2016 and looks and behaves a lot like yours.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back