My Miami hurricane chalice is receding! Help

Jonathan blackwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently on one side, my chalice is dying... why I don't know. Nothing is around it to kill or sting or bother it. No fish in tank to nip at it. And I checked all my parameters at the LFS and he said the only thing out of range was my ph, which I now have corrected... it still hasn't stopped receding. .. I don't know why. All other side and ares are growing amazingly and colorful. Just one side all the sudden after 8 months of nothing wrong, it now has a issue.

OP
OP
Jonathan blackwood

Jonathan blackwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic 1

1456383686110.jpg

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a Inland or gryphon bandsaw cut it just past the recession or if not, use something and scrape the tissue on the edge of the recession. I do this to any chalice that does this.

beastium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a Inland or gryphon bandsaw cut it just past the recession or if not, use something and scrape the tissue on the edge of the recession. I do this to any chalice that does this.
Sanding it down sorta? Does this have good success rate when you do it?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalice are LPS and the other ones might be stinging it. I agree cut it with a band saw. They cut with a blade, it's not sanding anything down.

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through a couple months where I couldn't do water changes because of back surgery. Most of my corals came out ok.. I lost most of 1 acro colony and half of a birdsnest colony. But my Miami Hurricane did the exact same thing yours is doing. (Except I lost a good inch all the way around) but now that I'm back on the normal schedule its growing right back over the dead tissue..

So question.. Did you skip a water change or dose heavy or something that would cause a swing in your parameters? You could be in an acceptable range but a swing may have caused that.

OP
OP
Jonathan blackwood

Jonathan blackwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't really changed anything out of my normal routine. That's what puzzles me about this.. it's been in the same spot and great health with great growth for months! !! So that's what I can't figure out :/

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a long shot but I've seen it before. Flip the colony up and see if there's an aptasia or majono attached underneath it.. Otherwise I'd just cut it and see if that will stop it.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for sweeper tenticles on the other chalices in the middle of the night. Ours get really long on some of the more agrestive ones. They often start out ok together but once they get happy or close enough they will start to fight with other subspecies to fight for territory.
Miami hurricane is a really hearty chalice so cutting it with a bandsaw should be easy. Make sure there is no brown smelly parts on the flesh near the receding part.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sanding it down sorta? Does this have good success rate when you do it?
Yes. I have several rainbows and other Chalices. You have a better chance of you catch it right away.

Think about it like this.

When about chalice is growing it's energy is being used up across the whole. When you have an infection and you ( scrape, frag,) or what you wanna call it it focuses more energy on healing the cut portion. Which might not be right scientifically but that is my thought process on it

OP
OP
Jonathan blackwood

Jonathan blackwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I cut at night and let heal in the dark, or mid day during light cycle? Does it matter

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think it matters. Although you'll have some folks say to put corals in the dark to heal. I don't I usually frag corals mid day and put them back right where they where before i fragged them so i know they should be happy. Ill post a photo in a little bit of a coral I fragged the other day.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back