My Miniature Little Ocean Transformation

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My story goes a little like this......

Wife: Hun I'm pregnant!
Me: Awesome! I read in a magazine that aquariums are relaxing to crying babies.
Wife: Really?
Me: yes its very therapeutic for them and eases their little minds.
Wife: We should get one.
Me: awesome we should!

So we went to a place here in Tampa and purchased the aquarium, Stand and lights. :xd:
Called a friend with a truck and picked that baby up. I figured with a baby on the way (turned out to be a girl) I figured I would never be able to splurge on my self ever again. Boy was I right Now I have two girls and my wife and a female dog. I'm the only guy in my house. 13 years later I still have my aquarium and it's been broken down a total of about four times since. This weekend 10/3/14 I changed out the sand. Waiting on lights. Wanting to add a remote refugium 40G.

13 years ago was so different back then not to many resources, not like the forums available today. I used beach sand, t-8 bulbs, very little flow, no temperature control. many bad choices. Wife turned A/C off during a weeks vacation came home to a 97º aquarium and house and floating fish.

left corner.jpg
April 7th Pics_0178.jpg
April 7th Pics_0162.jpg

Attachments

• New tank.jpg
    New tank.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 551
  • plain tank.jpg
    plain tank.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 661
OP
OP
Chetrod

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2004 we moved again still having issues but learning a little more. I new I needed better lights so I build my own Halide DIY kit. They were a little to close to the water (more issues to learn from) so they tank heated up fast purchased a chiller and later on I would have to tear it down again to put in wood floors. So I built a taller canopy. Added vents and fans also.

plain tank.jpg
April 7th Pics_0177.jpg
April 7th Pics_0210.jpg
tank pics_0221.jpg

OP
OP
Chetrod

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more years go by I couldn't stand the wood floors and the dogs pacing habits. Those with wood floors, I'm sure they know what I mean. It sounded like high heels pacing back and forth. Not to mention water and wood floors never a good combo. So I tore it down one more time to Tile the whole house this time. Took this opportunity to redo the stand and build a taller canopy. Same tank same stand in the end just rebuilt.

DSCF0371.JPG
DSCF0511.JPG
DSCF0539.JPG
DSCF0542.JPG
DSCF0565.JPG

OP
OP
Chetrod

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A better looking stand still issues with low flow, algae issues, still learning. Forums are now available or I just found a few to ask questions in. Months and months of reading, taking it all in. It would take a few years to make all the right changes. Budgets always seem to get in the way. A couple lay offs etc etc la la la right. Things got better so I updated my lights to combat the heat issues. Still working on flow issues I realized I had way to many rocks in this tank so I took out a bunch. Also The lights where only actinic and white and I now realized full spectrum is where it's at so I sold all them lights and I'm awaiting new ones.

29743_1378667200812_1655862556_883086_7084418_n.jpg
IMG_1452.jpg
IMG_1453.jpg
DSCN1182.jpg

OP
OP
Chetrod

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fast forward a few years I finally got to upgrade my skimmer and pumps, removed rock, added the much needed flow.
IMG_1608.jpg
DSCN1730.jpg
DSCN1738.jpg
DSCN1743.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chetrod

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All is doing great. I've been able to increase flow dramatically. Reduced the Aquascape. Removed cc for Fiji Pink sand. Just waiting on lights and a 40 gallon for the remote refugium.

IMG_4639.jpg
IMG_4642.jpg
IMG_4650.jpg
IMG_4653.jpg
IMG_4665.jpg

Last edited:

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks good man. Um I guess " persistence ways off " is not really need here. Keep up the good work

OP
OP
Chetrod

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks good man. Um I guess " persistence ways off " is not really need here. Keep up the good work

Yes it does. With a career that involves travel and kids that require SO MUCH it's about time I stopped neglecting this little ocean of mine.

Looking good!

Thanks my motivation is seeing all the aquariums on these forums.

I did! And it worked just as well.

That's awesome. It is also true neither of my kids could keep crying in front of the aquarium. They are both in too the hobby as well so future Reefers coming soon.

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the tank after we bought all his furniture for the nursery. I set it up September 1 last year so I would have plenty of time ( 3 months to his due date) to cycle and stock. Well I guess he heard he had a sw tank. He came on the 9 of September. He was in the nicu for 3 months. The little night light nano became my therapy

OP
OP
Chetrod

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the tank after we bought all his furniture for the nursery. I set it up September 1 last year so I would have plenty of time ( 3 months to his due date) to cycle and stock. Well I guess he heard he had a sw tank. He came on the 9 of September. He was in the nicu for 3 months. The little night light nano became my therapy

Is he loving it now? Kids get so into the hobby. My 12 year old helps a lot with the regular maintenance. My 5 year old is my watchdog (didn't know what else to call her) she notices every change in the tank. Good and Bad. They both like feeding the fish.

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh very much so! That's where we find him when go's crawling off

Attachments

• 1412765717049.jpg
    1412765717049.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 368

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have kids yet, but my family has lots of them. They love bringing their kids over to see the tank. They will just watch it all day; mostly in silence :)

DrBoxedWine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Kids do love a SW tank! And long daily walks will stop the dog pacing (that's usually pent up energy) ☺

danangelo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it great reason for a tank for sure...my kids are big now but my godson loves watching my tank so I know for sure it can make a baby stop crying...your tank is looking good

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 69 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 64 27.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back