My name is RBS, I am getting ready to setup a 125G reef tank. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125G, putting 2- HOB overflows, building a sump refugium in a 40G breeder tank, also putting in a 30G quarantine tank. I also have 2- 55G barrels I'm going to circulate saltwater in, until needed. I know that I will need several pumps, just not sure what sizes, and what size protein skimmer should I use?
Welcome to R2R

Sounds like you are off to a good start. For the skimmer, I personnel always go with a right-sized or even slightly under sized Skimmer - not a fan over over skimming. Look for something that is rated for a 100 to 150 gallon tank , since your total water volume will be closer to 150, with the sump.

As far as pumps, you'll need at least the return pump - given that it is a 125, I would suggest something in the 1,500 to 2,000 GPH range, and preferably a DC powered pump with a controller, so you can easily adjust its flow rate. With that, you could run a few 1/2in or even 3/4in Random Flow Generator® Nozzles off the return lines, which may help reduce the number of powerheads you need.

having two HOB overflows might make it hard to tune, and if one outpaces the other (drains faster) it could starve the other and possibly cause it to loose siphon. its unlikely, but it is certainly a possibility. If you have the opportunity to drill the tank for a built-in overflow, that might be a better way to go.

Last edited:

ckuhny3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125G, putting 2- HOB overflows, building a sump refugium in a 40G breeder tank, also putting in a 30G quarantine tank. I also have 2- 55G barrels I'm going to circulate saltwater in, until needed. I know that I will need several pumps, just not sure what sizes, and what size protein skimmer should I use?
Innovative Marine Mighty Jet DC Return Sump Pump (XL: 2,656 GPH) https://a.co/d/2YRsT2N

I bought this for my return on my 120. Couldn’t be happier

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! :)

happy minions GIF

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I oversized my skimmer and regretted it. Go smaller. Or leave room for 2 when when you upgrade to Ozone. I would get dual Vectra S2 returns if I could do it again. But COR 15’s that I have are nice. 2 MP40s and 2 MP10s should work well. Remember to get extra wet sides and anemone guards. Good luck. Can’t wait to see it all
IMG_1777.gif

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to Reef2Reef!

MoMoTheMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water Hello GIF

Welcome to R2R!

I've been slowly building an upgrade tank that is also a 125g (72x18x22) with a 40g breeder sump/refugium. I have 2 corner overflows that drain into separate chambers of the sump (skimmer side, then refugium side) and I'm using 2 Current USA DC pumps as my returns that are in the middle section. Using the DC returns allowed us to easily dial in our flow rate for the sump.

I also just bought a jebao gyre wavemaker to really get some water movement. I have 2-MP10's that I use on my temporary 40b set up that I will move over eventually but I've heard good things about jebao stuff for being a more budget friendly product. So I plan to get another jebao gyre soon. If you can afford it I'm sure MP40's would be great for your tank along with a gyre or 2 depending on what type of corals you are planning to keep.

I also bought a AquaMaxx ConeS DRC-2 protein skimmer. Aquamaxx has always been good to me so I stuck with it for my build and you can find some decent sales on them throughout the year. I know Tunze has some awesome DC protein skimmers also (like the Tunze 9410 dc) that won't break the bank.

Best of luck with your tank their are tons of options out there so I'm sure whatever you choose will make a great build! Just make sure to start a build thread so we can follow along and don't forget the pictures :)

OP
OP
RBS

RBS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live ocean rock! As much as possible!
IThank you all for a warm reception and interest. I was planning on putting 120 lbs. of live sand and 160 lbs of live rock in my 125G long. 5 lbs of sand and some rubble from rock in a 40 G breeder sump/refugium. I also have 2- 55 G barrels that I am putting in basement to store RODI and saltwater. Do you feel that a glass top to reduce evap is better than screen to reduce light refraction?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back