Reef Stable Tank / Farm Setup

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Stable's Build Thread / Tank Tour
I wanted to give an insight into the tanks and the farming system I currently have set up. Also talk through different things I'm trying and how they are or are not working.

The Tanks
I have 3 "Display Farms". These are essentially display tanks that are also used as farms. This is both because of space constraints as well as finding some coral prefer specific conditions and this allows them to grow faster and healthier.
These tanks are a 210g used for LPS, mostly torches and hammer growout.
A 34g used for High End Acropora using a LOT of flow and light in a small space.
A 34g for Acan, Goni, and Zoa growout focussing on low light and nearly no flow.

I also have 3 farming "vats". These are roughly 30"x36". This is where I farm most of the coral, and keep frags.

210 LPS Display Farm
The Hammer and Torch tank utilizes 3 Radion XR30 (Gen 3 and 4) with ONLY the blue channels. The light is set such that the top coral gets about 125 PAR and the mid - bottom are between 75 and 100 PAR. There are 2 MP40s providing just enough flow to let the polyps move/sway.
Untitled design.jpg

34 Acro Display Farm
The Acropora tank needed MUCH more flow and light. With 2 Radion XR30 G3 pushing about 300-400 PAR at the top and 200 PAR at the bottom of the tank. I am using 2 MP40s at about 50% and a Gyre to provide enough flow to allow these Acropora to grow strong and healthy!
Untitled design (1).jpg

34 Low Flow Display Farm - Work In Progress
For the low flow coral, like Acans, Goniopora, Mushrooms, and some Zoas, I am using a 34 gallon tank where the only flow is coming from a return line. The XR30 G3s are set to only provide between 50 and 75 PAR. This is really showing how a simple display can be exactly what the doctor ordered for some kinds of coral.

This tank is still in progress and is seemingly empty in comparison.
Untitled design (2).jpg

Farming Vats
The farming Vats are almost all low flow tanks, using Orphek OR3 Blue Plus bars for lighting. Hung a few feet off of the tank to provide 50-100 PAR. This is where I grow out coral such as Zoas, High End Soft Coral, and keep frags. These tanks are all being re-done with new frag racks. So I'll post the current photos, but keep in mind that this is all changing soon.
Untitled design (5).jpg
Untitled design (4).jpg
Untitled design (3).jpg

System Setup
Now that I've covered how the tanks are set up, here is more about my methods of maintenance.
Please note, all of these tanks are tied together.

Control
I use a Neptune Apex to control most of the tank. I dose Kalkwasser to control pH, and use a Calcium Reactor to handle Alkalinity if it gets low. Here is a link to an article about how I do this:

For heat, I use a gas heat setup with a titanium heat exchanger. Again, here is an article for how I do this:

Filtration
Short and sweet. I use a refugium with Cheato and 2 high power refugium lights. I also use a high power protein skimmer. Other than that, weekly water changes (10%) and GFO/Carbon only as needed.

Additional Dosing
The only other thing I dose is 1 drop Lougols Iodine per 400g daily, and amino acids daily (half of recommended amount on bottle).

Summary
Hopefully this gives y'all some inspiration. If you have any questions, feel free to comment.
I also run a blog so please, check it out here!

I'll try to add updates and test to my thread as they happen!
Follow My Adventures Here:
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/reefstable/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ReefStable

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Stable's Build Thread / Tank Tour
I wanted to give an insight into the tanks and the farming system I currently have set up. Also talk through different things I'm trying and how they are or are not working.

The Tanks
I have 3 "Display Farms". These are essentially display tanks that are also used as farms. This is both because of space constraints as well as finding some coral prefer specific conditions and this allows them to grow faster and healthier.
These tanks are a 210g used for LPS, mostly torches and hammer growout.
A 34g used for High End Acropora using a LOT of flow and light in a small space.
A 34g for Acan, Goni, and Zoa growout focussing on low light and nearly no flow.

I also have 3 farming "vats". These are roughly 30"x36". This is where I farm most of the coral, and keep frags.

210 LPS Display Farm
The Hammer and Torch tank utilizes 3 Radion XR30 (Gen 3 and 4) with ONLY the blue channels. The light is set such that the top coral gets about 125 PAR and the mid - bottom are between 75 and 100 PAR. There are 2 MP40s providing just enough flow to let the polyps move/sway.
Untitled design.jpg

34 Acro Display Farm
The Acropora tank needed MUCH more flow and light. With 2 Radion XR30 G3 pushing about 300-400 PAR at the top and 200 PAR at the bottom of the tank. I am using 2 MP40s at about 50% and a Gyre to provide enough flow to allow these Acropora to grow strong and healthy!
Untitled design (1).jpg

34 Low Flow Display Farm - Work In Progress
For the low flow coral, like Acans, Goniopora, Mushrooms, and some Zoas, I am using a 34 gallon tank where the only flow is coming from a return line. The XR30 G3s are set to only provide between 50 and 75 PAR. This is really showing how a simple display can be exactly what the doctor ordered for some kinds of coral.

This tank is still in progress and is seemingly empty in comparison.
Untitled design (2).jpg

Farming Vats
The farming Vats are almost all low flow tanks, using Orphek OR3 Blue Plus bars for lighting. Hung a few feet off of the tank to provide 50-100 PAR. This is where I grow out coral such as Zoas, High End Soft Coral, and keep frags. These tanks are all being re-done with new frag racks. So I'll post the current photos, but keep in mind that this is all changing soon.
Untitled design (5).jpg
Untitled design (4).jpg
Untitled design (3).jpg

System Setup
Now that I've covered how the tanks are set up, here is more about my methods of maintenance.
Please note, all of these tanks are tied together.

Control
I use a Neptune Apex to control most of the tank. I dose Kalkwasser to control pH, and use a Calcium Reactor to handle Alkalinity if it gets low. Here is a link to an article about how I do this:

For heat, I use a gas heat setup with a titanium heat exchanger. Again, here is an article for how I do this:

Filtration
Short and sweet. I use a refugium with Cheato and 2 high power refugium lights. I also use a high power protein skimmer. Other than that, weekly water changes (10%) and GFO/Carbon only as needed.

Additional Dosing
The only other thing I dose is 1 drop Lougols Iodine per 400g daily, and amino acids daily (half of recommended amount on bottle).

Summary
Hopefully this gives y'all some inspiration. If you have any questions, feel free to comment.
I also run a blog so please, check it out here!

I'll try to add updates and test to my thread as they happen!
Follow My Adventures Here:
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/reefstable/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ReefStable
Looks great

bubbgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Do you recommend orphek or the radions for torch growout tank if you were going set up the tank all over again?

OP
OP
ReefStable

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been hearing mixed reviews on the newer generations of Radions. And with the price point and lower par needs, I would probably lean toward the Orpheks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back