My New 120 gallon tank

ckuhny3

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 6, 2022
Messages
202
Reaction score
180
Location
New Lenox
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I won the auction! Going to pick up my SCA 120 gallon aquarium next weekend ! I will post everything to do with the upgrade here for my own records and anyone else that wants to help and join along! Happy reefing ! Pic is of the new tank and a some what recent picture of my current 60 gallon. Can’t wait to get a tang gang!

7B08B4A7-A124-4404-AA80-484997CEFFE3.png D328C782-8EFA-4916-99C3-C5C6BDAC564E.jpeg IMG_2824.jpeg IMG_2816.jpeg IMG_2828.jpeg

IMG_2887.jpeg
IMG_2886.jpeg


Finally getting around to finishing the basement . First step is dry walling around the tank and putting up plastic on the entrance to the fish room so I’m less worried about dust . Dreams are coming true !!
 
Last edited:
Side view of the 60 gallon setup. Anybody know if I’ll be able to reuse bulkheads/gate valves or should I just buy new ones? Should I take the time to hard plump the sump or is it too much time for the tank transfer? Also is a Fiji Cube 32 sump big enough to support 120g display tank ?
 

Attachments

  • B959FE7B-0E43-4701-88DD-4061C7DB7A55.jpeg
    B959FE7B-0E43-4701-88DD-4061C7DB7A55.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 95
  • B187858F-7B08-4049-A5BA-385C86278A98.jpeg
    B187858F-7B08-4049-A5BA-385C86278A98.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 116
I just ordered 60 more pounds of Marco rock and some foundation pieces . Looking at my aquascape and knowing I’ll be going from 12” of depth to 24” . Should I move my existing rock work to the back and add a low shelf piece in the front maybe wrapping around the piece on the right ? Or build something higher behind it ? Any ideas or thoughts on adding to an existing aquascape?
 
Well I won the auction! Going to pick up my SCA 120 gallon aquarium next weekend ! I will post everything to do with the upgrade here for my own records and anyone else that wants to help and join along! Happy reefing ! Pic is of the new tank and a some what recent picture of my current 60 gallon. Can’t wait to get a tang gang!

7B08B4A7-A124-4404-AA80-484997CEFFE3.png D328C782-8EFA-4916-99C3-C5C6BDAC564E.jpeg
Very nice! I like it very much
 
Have fun with all of the planning!! Following along!
 
great win!
as much as you will want to get it going fast, take your time setting it up and systems as that is critical and also fun especially if you add automation to the process.

Good lu ck and we will be following along
 
Side view of the 60 gallon setup. Anybody know if I’ll be able to reuse bulkheads/gate valves or should I just buy new ones? Should I take the time to hard plump the sump or is it too much time for the tank transfer? Also is a Fiji Cube 32 sump big enough to support 120g display tank ?
if you are able to buy new valves I would do that (just me) but if you inspect and clean the used ones there should be no issues with them either as they are not complex. size of the sump is up to you, more is always better as you will fill it fast so that is up to what you have or want to invest but I would make a long-term decision and stick with it and that rolls into the answer of plumbing,.. I would plumb it with hard pipe and final quality from the start so you do not have any points or weaknesses. Always best to build as solid as possible to avoid problems later
 
if you are able to buy new valves I would do that (just me) but if you inspect and clean the used ones there should be no issues with them either as they are not complex. size of the sump is up to you, more is always better as you will fill it fast so that is up to what you have or want to invest but I would make a long-term decision and stick with it and that rolls into the answer of plumbing,.. I would plumb it with hard pipe and final quality from the start so you do not have any points or weaknesses. Always best to build as solid as possible to avoid problems later
i have to agree with all of this. As I was thinking about using tubing I was like oh crap the tank is drill from the bottom so what I do better be permanent and able to have unions by the bulk head in case something happens. I will be ordering all new 1” gate valves and hard plumb the sump most likely. Now hopefully BRS will take returns on vinyl tubing lol
 
i have to agree with all of this. As I was thinking about using tubing I was like oh crap the tank is drill from the bottom so what I do better be permanent and able to have unions by the bulk head in case something happens. I will be ordering all new 1” gate valves and hard plumb the sump most likely. Now hopefully BRS will take returns on vinyl tubing lol
i assume they will, but you might need that for water changes, cleaning or maintenance needs...just a thought
 
Time to start my favorite part. Aquascaping!
 

Attachments

  • 77A182A0-E6E8-488F-AAA4-19E2AE15E291.jpeg
    77A182A0-E6E8-488F-AAA4-19E2AE15E291.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 127
Well I won the auction! Going to pick up my SCA 120 gallon aquarium next weekend ! I will post everything to do with the upgrade here for my own records and anyone else that wants to help and join along! Happy reefing ! Pic is of the new tank and a some what recent picture of my current 60 gallon. Can’t wait to get a tang gang!

7B08B4A7-A124-4404-AA80-484997CEFFE3.png D328C782-8EFA-4916-99C3-C5C6BDAC564E.jpeg
Nice I saw this auction also. I was looking at it for stand ideas lol. Nice win! I just purchased the same tank new and building my stand out of aluminum extrusions 2020. Good luck with your build
 
Nice I saw this auction also. I was looking at it for stand ideas lol. Nice win! I just purchased the same tank new and building my stand out of aluminum extrusions 2020. Good luck with your build
Awesome! Are you in the Chicago area? What fish:coral stores do you like?
 
Added a carbon and gfo reactor! I’m using BRS ROX carbon and Rowaphos. The instructions for rowaphos say to use between two sponges but isn’t very clear on how much to use or how often to replace it. Any tips on quantity and duration for Rowaphos??
 

Attachments

  • 6897E2F8-2BBD-439B-B04D-8451E83F3E0F.jpeg
    6897E2F8-2BBD-439B-B04D-8451E83F3E0F.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 91
  • F0C025B3-525B-4077-9C95-5CB0A5F79DAD.jpeg
    F0C025B3-525B-4077-9C95-5CB0A5F79DAD.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 03A8C471-434A-4F8F-A6DF-4FE731E409A9.jpeg
    03A8C471-434A-4F8F-A6DF-4FE731E409A9.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 108
First rock structure done ! I went for some height to make tons of caves and swim throughs . It’s about 23” tall at the peak!
 

Attachments

  • 99EAB591-26A7-4393-B838-B3EAC2C5A680.jpeg
    99EAB591-26A7-4393-B838-B3EAC2C5A680.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 80
  • 665BEC11-A13F-4735-8D89-3255F2926F16.jpeg
    665BEC11-A13F-4735-8D89-3255F2926F16.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 119

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new