My new 13.5 fluval

OGReeferTY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I cycled my tank for 7 weeks. Added some stability for the first week. I was just busy moving into my house so I didn’t get around to adding fish sooner. Well I added 2 clownfish thinking that it was fine because I checked the water 2 weeks prior. I ran a water test and I had very little ammonia which it was between 0-.25, well my fish didn’t make it. And I still can’t get the ammonia out. I’ve done 3 water changes and it’s still there. Any ideas on what I can do? I’ve only added a heater. The rest of the tank is stock.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well established live rock? Was there any ammonia source ? Was anything added aside from stability ? If this was established live rock should have been already cycled

OP
OP
OGReeferTY

OGReeferTY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume your salinity is on point to. Where did you get the fish did they look healthy Well I got nano clownfish. Never heard of them. They lasted 6 days.
I would assume your salinity is on point to. Where did you get the fish did they look healthy at the store?
Yes my salinity is fine. I got them from the hidden reef in New Jersey. Seemed like a good store. But they were nano clown fish. Which I’ve never heard of before.

OP
OP
OGReeferTY

OGReeferTY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well established live rock? Was there any ammonia source ? Was anything added aside from stability ? If this was established live rock should have been already cycled
Yes I got it from a store. Nothing else was added besides the stability.

Ossy3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I cycled my tank for 7 weeks. Added some stability for the first week. I was just busy moving into my house so I didn’t get around to adding fish sooner. Well I added 2 clownfish thinking that it was fine because I checked the water 2 weeks prior. I ran a water test and I had very little ammonia which it was between 0-.25, well my fish didn’t make it. And I still can’t get the ammonia out. I’ve done 3 water changes and it’s still there. Any ideas on what I can do? I’ve only added a heater. The rest of the tank is stock.
Seem's like your bio load didn't establish, ammonia along with nitrite should be 0. What are you using for biological filtration? May be worthwhile adding some live rock and continuing to let your tank cycle. Even traces of Ammonia are deadly enough to kill fish..

OP
OP
OGReeferTY

OGReeferTY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seem's like your bio load didn't establish, ammonia along with nitrite should be 0. What are you using for biological filtration? May be worthwhile adding some live rock and continuing to let your tank cycle. Even traces of Ammonia are deadly enough to kill fish..
I’ve gotten 2 live rocks. They are 11lbs total. Filtration? Just the standard that comes in the fluval AIO. The media balls and w.e it was. Sorry I’m newer to starting my own reef. Had a pre established one from fb marketplace before. But I figured 7 weeks was long enough to cycle. I didn’t check it weekly because I was setting up my new house.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this truly was live rock you could have lost a lot of the bacterial population by it sitting for 7 weeks with no ammonia source. I would add something like xlm start. Used that on my last build and cycled the tank very fast. Would also add some ammonia and test to see if it is being processed

OP
OP
OGReeferTY

OGReeferTY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this truly was live rock you could have lost a lot of the bacterial population by it sitting for 7 weeks with no ammonia source. I would add something like xlm start. Used that on my last build and cycled the tank very fast. Would also add some ammonia and test to see if it is being processed
I thought seachem stability was like start?

Ossy3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gotten 2 live rocks. They are 11lbs total. Filtration? Just the standard that comes in the fluval AIO. The media balls and w.e it was. Sorry I’m newer to starting my own reef. Had a pre established one from fb marketplace before. But I figured 7 weeks was long enough to cycle. I didn’t check it weekly because I was setting up my new house.
Try adding Ammonia in the tank and see how your biological filtration reacts. Dr Timm's is a good product I've heard. Then you'll just need to wait and see how the tank reacts.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 39 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%
Back