My new 135 build!!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been busy today....

I got 4 decent pieces made for my scape. Forgot to snap pics before I dropped them in the can to soak for a couple days, sorry. I still have quite a few bits of rock left to work with. Once I get the new pieces into the tank and the current stuff rearranged, I will decide if I need to build more, or just place the smaller pieces to build things up.

Got a full 30g of new fresh SW mixed up and almost ready to go.. still a bit cooler than I want for doing my WC. I should have it about right in another couple hours.

Last night, I turned off 2 of my more powerful wave makers. Tinkering with the flow in this tank. I have a feeling this is something I will have to play with for a while as I add and rearrange rocks so I get it just right for everything. I have a bad feeling that I will probably replace these 2 units. I want something with a bit more control. The ones I have are too strong and there is no way to turn them down. *sigh*

I have been battling the brown algae film on my glass for a while now. You all know the gunk I mean. It has been a twice a day fight just to keep the glass clean enough to see through. Today, is the first day I have not had to clean the inside glass the first thing after I pour my coffee. I did clean it a while ago, but it is not anywhere near as bad as it's been. I wonder if turning off the flow makers is part of this?

26 days into the new build/upgrade. So far so good. I have TONS of Asterina Stars and lots of small snails that are doing exactly what they are supposed to do.

I am thinking I need to add a couple herbivorous fish to the tank. The Yellow Tang does his best nibbling at whatever he finds, but I am seeing an increase in unwanted algae starting to pop up. Not really sure what I want for this job. I suppose I could get a couple urchins, but I am not thrilled with the idea of remounting coral frags every day...
Nice tank!! Consider a foxface for algae consumption?

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank!! Consider a foxface for algae consumption?
Thanks for the suggestion. I am open to all ideas. I have a lot of room to play with. I am thinking I want to add at least 3 fish to the system. First, for the obvious algae consumption, and second, to help (hopefully) mitigate aggression from the current tennants.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion. I am open to all ideas. I have a lot of room to play with. I am thinking I want to add at least 3 fish to the system. First, for the obvious algae consumption, and second, to help (hopefully) mitigate aggression from the current tennants.
My tangs do a excellent job at nipping algae but the foxface I currently have (bicolor) is a miss on chomping algae. Although, It eats nori like a pig. Previous foxface (Lo) would eat algae like a lawnmower.

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs do a excellent job at nipping algae but the foxface I currently have (bicolor) is a miss on chomping algae. Although, It eats nori like a pig. Previous foxface (Lo) would eat algae like a lawnmower.

My current stock list is:

1 Yellow Tang
1 Blue Hippo Tang (Dory)
1 Mata Tang? Id tentative
2 blue-green Chromis
1 Royal Gramma
2 Black Capped Damsels
1 Talbot's Damsel
3 Pajama Cardinals
1 Aiptasia eating filefish
1 Magenta Dottyback
1 Wyoming White Clownfish
1 Red Saddleback Anemonefish

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current stock list is:

1 Yellow Tang
1 Blue Hippo Tang (Dory)
1 Mata Tang? Id tentative
2 blue-green Chromis
1 Royal Gramma
2 Black Capped Damsels
1 Talbot's Damsel
3 Pajama Cardinals
1 Aiptasia eating filefish
1 Magenta Dottyback
1 Wyoming White Clownfish
1 Red Saddleback Anemonefish
Thinking a foxface or a lawnmower blenny maybe... I had a lawnmower and it was good, became a bit of a jerk tho, lol. Tomini tangs are great for it also.

Last edited:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tomini Tang if you want another tang. Beautiful fish and stays smallish so it won't outgrow a 6' tank.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am totally down for another Tang. I love them all!!

Thanks for the idea bro. Would you recommend against 2?
2 Tominis? They're supposed to be one of the lesser aggressive Tangs but usually you have to be careful with similar Tangs. They stay fairly small so a 6' tank "might" be big enough for two but I wouldn't risk it personally.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I like this idea... Maybe a foxface, Tomini and a Naso?
Definitely! Go to @Mibu 's build thread! She's got some people that know about Rabbitfishes over there. They'll help you choose the right one. Probably Magnificent I think...

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely! Go to @Mibu 's build thread! She's got some people that know about Rabbitfishes over there. They'll help you choose the right one. Probably Magnificent I think...

Just did a quick image search on all 3.. They are all beauties and would look awesome in my system.

The Foxface looks really cool.. Of course I would have to research anything before I add it, but just from a visual standpoint, I wouldn't mind any of them in there.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just did a quick image search on all 3.. They are all beauties and would look awesome in my system.

The Foxface looks really cool.. Of course I would have to research anything before I add it, but just from a visual standpoint, I wouldn't mind any of them in there.
Most people end up with the One Spot or Foxface Rabbitfish. I found a Two Barred Foxface but my wife doesn't want it.

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people end up with the One Spot or Foxface Rabbitfish. I found a Two Barred Foxface but my wife doesn't want it.

I will do some reading tonight. See what will both look good and do the job I want them to do. As I said, I would like to add at least 3, maybe 4 fish.

Tomorrow, if I have a decision made, I will take a run to my LFS and talk to the owner about ordering what I want.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I will do some reading tonight. See what will both look good and do the job I want them to do. As I said, I would like to add at least 3, maybe 4 fish.

Tomorrow, if I have a decision made, I will take a run to my LFS and talk to the owner about ordering what I want.
There's also the Lemonpeel Mimic Tang or something like that... They're another pretty yellow one.

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's also the Lemonpeel Mimic Tang or something like that... They're another pretty yellow one.
Are they good grazers? I want visually appealing stock for sure, but just adding fish cause they are pretty doesn't help me control algal blooms.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The big thing about Rabbitfish is many of them get large and will outgrow your tank. The One Spot and Foxface are usually on the smaller side.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Are they good grazers? I want visually appealing stock for sure, but just adding fish cause they are pretty doesn't help me control algal blooms.
Don't know. I've only ever had Purple, Yellow Eye Kole, Yellow, and Tomini Tangs. All were good.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back