OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Class A with tanker here! No dub/trip though.
I have all the endorsements. I ran super heavy/ oversize for a while a few years ago.. that was fun. Not many people know that there is such a thing as a "72 speed" rig.. Basically its a standard 18, with a 4 step splitter.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The YT I have I got from Biota. It was about the sise of a 50cent piece when I got it... its easily 4 inches now. He LOVES the new tank.
Him and the blue tang looked quite happy.
I have all the endorsements. I ran super heavy/ oversize for a while a few years ago.. that was fun. Not many people know that there is such a thing as a "72 speed" rig.. Basically its a standard 18, with a 4 step splitter.
I'm going to choose to understand this. Is that like a 4x18 if it were bike gears?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I'm going to choose to understand this. Is that like a 4x18 if it were bike gears?
More or less, yes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes everyone is very happy with the new digs...

OK, now, a standard 18 speed rig has a simple 4 position gear pattern. There are 2 splitters on the shifter knob itself. 1 splits each gear, and the other splits between upper and lower range.

Think like this, A standard 4 speed car has 1-4 in a H pattern right? the first splitter goes between each gear... 1l, 1h, 2l, 2h ect. Then you hit the range splitter and repeat the same H pattern for 5-8. Wait, you say, 4x2x2 is only 16??? true enough, reverse only has low and high, can't double split that one.. lol...

On the super heavy hauler, you have a 2nd stick that has its own H pattern that splits all the gears into those ranges. Effectively you can run 1-16 on each of the 4 ranges. PLUS, the 8 reverse gears. There's your 72 speed rig!!

Last edited:

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes everyone is very happy with the new digs...

OK, now, a standard 18 speed rig has a simple 4 position gear pattern. There are 2 splitters on the shifter knob itself. 1 splits each gear, and the other splits between upper and lower range.

Think like this, A standard 4 speed car has 1-4 in a H pattern right? the first splitter goes between each gear... 1l, 1h, 2l, 2h ect. Then you hit the range splitter and repeat the same H pattern for 5-8. Wait, you say, 4x2x2 is only 16??? true enough, reverse only has low and high, can't double split that one.. lol...

On the super heavy hauler, you have a 2nd stick that has its own H pattern that splits all the gears into those ranges. Effectively you can run 1-16 on each of the 4 ranges. PLUS, the 8 reverse gears. There's your 72 speed rig!!
Benedict Cumberbatch Nod GIF

So you would either cycle through the low or the high, depending upon need with smaller jumps in gear ratio to ease transition?

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Benedict Cumberbatch Nod GIF

So you would either cycle through the low or the high, depending upon need with smaller jumps in gear ratio to ease transition?

Pretty much yes.

The split gears are mostly used for climbing grades. Even on a standard 18 speed, you rarely use the splitter between gears until you get to 15th, then you split the top gear for 16th and run. When you start to climb a grade, you generally split each gear as you downshift till you find the best gear for pulling the grade.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way I know about high/low is from my time in the lumber yard. the 2 tons had a high and low, except the one with the broken low that my boss refused to replace. Until he had to when I shredded the transmission. Fun times

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys... so it's time to update here... I have finished the FluxRx treatment, done several water changes and brought the refugium back online last weekend.

The hair algae is gone but cyano has reared its ugly red head.

Did a water test today and things look good. I may or may not do a water change today.

Current parameters are:

NO3 between 5 and 10

pH 8.15

PO4 0.25

Mg 1290

KH/Alk 7.15 (this is up a lot from last test at 5.9)

Ca 430

Overall the parameters are about right. Not seeing anything that is an immediate concern.

Now, if I can get this cyano under control, I will be a happy reefer again.

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... Has it really been almost a year since I updated here? So much has changed, most of it for the worse to be honest. *sigh*

My beautiful tank has really taken a downward trend for a while. Started when I began losing a few corals and it has gotten really bad since the Aiptasia took over.

All of my acros are dead and gone. All of my Goni's and Alveaporas are dead.

The fish are all still alive and happy at least. Most of my softies are fine. Did have a torch throw off a head last week... Is that even a thing? The head is on the sand in a corner near one of the overflows and appears to still be alive??? WHAT THE????

As for the Aiptasia issue... @Queenofreef is right!!! Aiptasia X is worthless! I use it, they die back a bit and then regrow twice as bad. I have tried Berghia a couple times but I suspect that I might have a predator loose in the tank I didn't know about. I am going to try and find that darn hermit crab and toss him into the sump.

The newest addition, a beautiful CBB has not helped with the Aiptasia at all, but honestly, that does not bother me much. It is a beautiful enough fish to be in the tank regardless if he eats Aiptasia or not.

On another note... apparently I am a horrible reef dad.. lol... Got down the test kits today and looked at the last page in the log.. Ummm March 10th... yikers!! Supprisingly enough, aside from nitrates a bit high, and Alk and Calcium a bit low.. most things are in range...

Big water change on for tonight and tomorrow and probably another next weekend.

Took a few pictures of the stuff I DO still have that are doing well... After I finish the WC I will get into post processing them and start posting...

And the saga continues...

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry to hear it! My torch threw a head and it was surviving in the sand bed for a while then my fish buried it and it died ...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back