My new 450 Starfire Cube Closed Loop

Celkat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much thanks to Victor, Felix, Cornbred, and Rnegret for your ideas on designing this beast. Closed Loop, steel stand. Still deciding what to do with sump, etc but lighting is going to be leds and halides for my chalice addiction. Will keep posting pics as we build. Tank was a tough to move into the house.

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 638
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 629
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 619
Last edited by a moderator:

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an amazing tank. Also, very nice placement in the house. I think it will be a wonderful addition to the decor :)

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I love my cube, IMO coolest most verstile tank design. My only question is how are you going to power the beast? Being that its in the middle of the room you'll have several cords running all over the place...Good luck, can't wait to see your tank progress.

Last edited:

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I love my cube, IMO coolest most verstile tank design. My only question is how are you going to power the beast? Being that its in the middle of the room you'll have several cords running all over the place...Good luck, can't wait to see your tank progress.
I would guess with that stand a basement sump will be the solution.

Cubbies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it! Cant wait to see what happens with this beauty!

Docstomper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled an extra overflow hole ran from my ceiling fixture down through the tank. Might not work for situation though. If only Tesla was still around could have powered using zero wires lol.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh very nice! Makes me want one! LOL!

OP
OP
C

Celkat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated Pics

Thanks everyone for your comments. We live in Florida so there is no basement angle. That would have been the easiest approach. The second angle we looked at was going through my stair well into a guest house closet (attached to the house). That however, was solid concrete so the contractor advised against it.

We have settled on an under the stairs approach. There is a ton of room under there (picture doesnt show it) and we are going to knock out some of the beams. We are going to put decorative pull out marine style doors with rubber edges for sound proofing to maintain the tank. We are putting 2 electrical circuits and lighting under the stairs as well.

As far as hiding plumbing and wiring, much to my wife's dismay, we are cutting a 6 inch channel in the marble floor and going underground into the foundation of the house. I have replacement tiles and have a tile guy coming out after the carnage to cover it up. We considered a cosmetic step up over the pipes and wires initially, but since the tank is intended to be a 4 side walk around, we worried about people tripping.

More photos to come.

Attachments

• photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 433
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 408
  • photo6.jpg
    photo6.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 428

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! Tagging along...

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! Tearing up the concrete floor is quite a commitment. Are you going to powder coat the stand or go with Rhino coating?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back