my new baby... AKA The Café

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20240512_183914.jpg

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any lights? Or is the storm over.. I have sun all night I don't know what's happening.

True story btw:

boat.jpg
lights are further north ,even further tonight ,as tonight is last night until next one... :)

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone... :)
20240513_071926.jpg

how /whatcha y'all doing tonight ?...:)
Good evening Frank! Mostly watching giveaways, but the refresh button is getting a bit worn.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. This is a slight emergency and I’m driving while writing this to the o my store I can get saltwater from.

Went to add a rock that had use macro e 400 on to the tank.

Not sure what actually caused the curls to flip their shiitake mushrooms. Could’ve been the rock right or it could’ve been the fact that I got a very large colony of palys and smashed them.

I didn’t quite notice the corals right away because I was having to do other things in the middle, trying to put the rock in. But when I did notice, the first thing I noticed was, I had a lot of my corals and showing. The worst was my largest bower . Which you see in the picture below. So I’m gonna do as much of a water change as I can with as much water as I can get from Petco. I pulled the palys completely. The damaged ones. The picture below is of the palys, but not the same grouping that got messed up

I also pulled that Bower. Not sure if I should keep it or not. If you see some of those pictures, I took those after I popped it off its rock some kind of sponge or something? I rinsed some carbon out and actually threw a bag in the top of the tank. Hopefully help mitigate whatever the heck is going on. Comments or suggestions besides the water change

IMG_0011.jpeg IMG_0010.jpeg IMG_0012.jpeg

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. This is a slight emergency and I’m driving while writing this to the o my store I can get saltwater from.

Went to add a rock that had use macro e 400 on to the tank.

Not sure what actually caused the curls to flip their shiitake mushrooms. Could’ve been the rock right or it could’ve been the fact that I got a very large colony of palys and smashed them.

I didn’t quite notice the corals right away because I was having to do other things in the middle, trying to put the rock in. But when I did notice, the first thing I noticed was, I had a lot of my corals and showing. The worst was my largest bower . Which you see in the picture below. So I’m gonna do as much of a water change as I can with as much water as I can get from Petco. I pulled the palys completely. The damaged ones. The picture below is of the palys, but not the same grouping that got messed up

I also pulled that Bower. Not sure if I should keep it or not. If you see some of those pictures, I took those after I popped it off its rock some kind of sponge or something? I rinsed some carbon out and actually threw a bag in the top of the tank. Hopefully help mitigate whatever the heck is going on. Comments or suggestions besides the water change

IMG_0011.jpeg IMG_0010.jpeg IMG_0012.jpeg
This was the worst coral. And believe it or not the gonis haven’t even flinched

But the hammers, which were looking better after my last ordeal. Are not looking good now I don’t think it’s anything they can’t recover from as long as I can rectify the issue quickly.

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

But the hammers, which were looking better after my last ordeal. Are not looking good now I don’t think it’s anything they can’t recover from as long as I can rectify the issue quickly.
Water change and carbon ,carbon pads ? about all you can do IMO...

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see how it is when you get back home ,to me looks mad ,throwing m filaments, not jellied ,tough corals... ;)
I’ll stick it back in the tank I moved the other bowers to a lower flow area. Just about everything in the tank was throwing filiments

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'd say that there's a potential the rock could have leached something. Even reef safe things can leach out impurities that can foul a tank if curing isn't complete. I like to let everything dry for 48 hours or so and then do a freshwater soak and watch the pH. If it stays stable for a day or two, then I'll add it. If it doesn't stay stable I'll change the water and soak some more. But that's because I use Portland Cement which leaches alkalinity.

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say that there's a potential the rock could have leached something. Even reef safe things can leach out impurities that can foul a tank if curing isn't complete. I like to let everything dry for 48 hours or so and then do a freshwater soak and watch the pH. If it stays stable for a day or two, then I'll add it. If it doesn't stay stable I'll change the water and soak some more. But that's because I use Portland Cement which leaches alkalinity.
So overall the rock wasn’t in the tank long.maybe 20 minutes.

I was also thinking I didn’t rinse well enough and particulate caused the stress??

I took the rocks outside and sprayed them off with the power washer. I plan to soak in tap water with carbon for the next 24 hours. Then repeat with RO.

I’ve used the stuff before, although it wasn’t the purple stuff…..I’ve been excelling at ticking the tank off. Did it last week and again this week.

do you think I should do another 15g water change tomorrow?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 4

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

A lot of us forget coral are toxic, or pretend, Coral are not toxic to each other.
This reminded my of an old torch i had. Absolutely hated goniopora additions. This was huge.
torchless.jpg
After adding any kind of goni
angry torch.jpg
Eventually, it passed away. I guess i should have just ran carbon.

Yes, your coral could be releasing toxins to take out their neighbors. Gonis are very toxic.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 36 48.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back