my new baby... AKA The Café

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those with more experience than me:
My 75-gallon FOWLR had 3 triggerfish each about 3" long when I got it from my coworker (undulate (Balistapus undulatus), Picasso (Rhinecanthus aculeatus), and rectangle (Rhinecanthus rectangulus)). The Picasso was the most active and occasionally chased the other fish (particularly the rectangle trigger), but no observed serious aggression. The Picasso and rectangle triggers were usually quite active and always out swimming during the day. The undulate trigger usually hid most of the day and only swam out during feeding time and occasionally at other times during the day. Over the last few months, I have noticed the undulate trigger coming out a bit more during the day and seeming a bit more confident. Later last week, I noticed that the Picasso trigger was hiding all day whenever I checked and the undulate trigger was out more during the day.

Last evening I came home to find the Picasso trigger floating dead and the rectangle trigger is now hiding all day. Knowing the reputation of triggerfish and undulate triggers in particular, is this likely the result of aggression? I was expecting this to be the case eventually if I would stupidly leave the 3 triggers together long-term, but it took me by surprise with them still so small. I already had planned to separate the triggers and give one or two to another coworker who has a 125-gallon saltwater tank, but I guess I did not do so soon enough. Regardless, it is now in my very-near-future plans to send the undulate trigger to my coworker as soon as possible... I guess the answer to which triggerfish I might keep for my FOWLR has been answered, but this is not the way I wanted to answer the question.

...unrelated, anybody else get a notification for a Noopsyche light giveaway?
Yeah... sorry @fishguy242 ...

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last evening I came home to find the Picasso trigger floating dead and the rectangle trigger is now hiding all day. Knowing the reputation of triggerfish and undulate triggers in particular, is this likely the result of aggression? I was expecting this to be the case eventually if I would stupidly leave the 3 triggers together long-term, but it took me by surprise with them still so small.
Pure aggression. Size doesn't matter with any fish. Some just turn out as mean as can be the moment they can bite.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spam!!!! Love this guy, but moves too much to get a good pic. Unless in it’s hole, lol.
3291AA46-D7EC-433F-B806-FD8179E0E5E5.jpeg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spam!!!! Love this guy, but moves too much to get a good pic. Unless in it’s hole, lol.
3291AA46-D7EC-433F-B806-FD8179E0E5E5.jpeg
Honestly my Maldives Midas blenny is one of my favorite fish in the tank. Super bright colors extremely active and a great personality

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75-gallon FOWLR had 3 triggerfish each about 3" long when I got it from my coworker (undulate (Balistapus undulatus), Picasso (Rhinecanthus aculeatus), and rectangle (Rhinecanthus rectangulus)). The Picasso was the most active and occasionally chased the other fish (particularly the rectangle trigger), but no observed serious aggression. The Picasso and rectangle triggers were usually quite active and always out swimming during the day. The undulate trigger usually hid most of the day and only swam out during feeding time and occasionally at other times during the day. Over the last few months, I have noticed the undulate trigger coming out a bit more during the day and seeming a bit more confident. Later last week, I noticed that the Picasso trigger was hiding all day whenever I checked and the undulate trigger was out more during the day.

Last evening I came home to find the Picasso trigger floating dead and the rectangle trigger is now hiding all day. Knowing the reputation of triggerfish and undulate triggers in particular, is this likely the result of aggression? I was expecting this to be the case eventually if I would stupidly leave the 3 triggers together long-term, but it took me by surprise with them still so small. I already had planned to separate the triggers and give one or two to another coworker who has a 125-gallon saltwater tank, but I guess I did not do so soon enough. Regardless, it is now in my very-near-future plans to send the undulate trigger to my coworker as soon as possible... I guess the answer to which triggerfish I might keep for my FOWLR has been answered, but this is not the way I wanted to answer the question.

i replied back
hard pass :cool:

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the box style ones that is basically and enclosed waterfall. Looks solid and a local guy here loves his, just not much out there on them.
i know you said you get a steal deal on those, but look at the floaters from santa monica.
love mine so much bought a second for the tub build.

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi all...:)

LOL, Yes ,today,the nerve of them...really... i ripped "them" hard, who really wants a cheap "little " led anyway ???
for what a biocube...;).

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know you said you get a steal deal on those, but look at the floaters from santa monica.
love mine so much bought a second for the tub build.
I love my santa monica floater, best investment for the tank so far.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back