My new blue haddoni

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this at the LFS a week ago and just had to have it. I have a reefer 170 24x20x20 inches. I've been wanting to go in a new direction with this tank so I decided the nem would be a nice center piece. Tank was bare bottom so I added sand and have put 3-4" where I wanted to place the nem hoping it will stay. I went back yesterday and bought it.
I scooped sand out so there is a large depression and placed the nem in there. It is super sticky and very responsive. My dog came in the room and dropped a bone on the floor and the nem actually responded and sort of pumped up like it was trying to fly and started to raise up into the water. It was pretty cool except I didn't want that. I'm new to haddoni and assume this is how they move around. Fly up into the water and see where it blows you to. I turned off all flow so it could settle in. It inflated really large and looked like it was trying to work it's foot down next to the rock.
20230519_181221.jpg

I let it settle for a while then slowly starting to work sand under it to hold it in place.
Before I went to bed I turned the return pump back on but at a reduce rate just to have a little flow and heat since heaters are in the sump.
Today it is looking like it has settled in pretty well
20230520_120139.jpg

Power heads are still off but I'll turn them back on today at a reduced rate and watch the flow so the nem doesn't get too much.
I'd like to do something a little different than clowns and am looking for suggestions on type of shrimp or crab to host I'm it. Any suggestions :thinking-face:
FTS
20230520_120126.jpg

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but did your carpet eat any fish?
No, all has been good. I added a small ckarkii that started hosting right away. Other fish are a coral beauty, yellow stripe possum wrasse, blue/green chromis and a blood red fire shrimp. The coral beauty will get close but has yet to make contact.

This is speculation on my part but I think having a piece full tank with little to no aggression is helpful. Also having a clown or pair hosting helps to keep other fish away. I had a carpet some years ago in a 180g and did loose fish. It was a very active tank with fairly large tangs and triggers with occasional aggression. I think fish would swim into the nem by accident when they were darting around the tank. I lost several at once over night. They were stung and died from the injuries. I think something startled them that night.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, all has been good. I added a small ckarkii that started hosting right away. Other fish are a coral beauty, yellow stripe possum wrasse, blue/green chromis and a blood red fire shrimp. The coral beauty will get close but has yet to make contact.

This is speculation on my part but I think having a piece full tank with little to no aggression is helpful. Also having a clown or pair hosting helps to keep other fish away. I had a carpet some years ago in a 180g and did loose fish. It was a very active tank with fairly large tangs and triggers with occasional aggression. I think fish would swim into the nem by accident when they were darting around the tank. I lost several at once over night. They were stung and died from the injuries. I think something startled them that night.
Ah yeah my tank is more aggressive with tangs, angelfish, triggers and anthias mostly. Im super nervous its going to hurt my fish! Won the auction then realized it was the aggressive carpet nem and now Im super nervous to put it in my tank!

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yeah my tank is more aggressive with tangs, angelfish, triggers and anthias mostly. Im super nervous its going to hurt my fish! Won the auction then realized it was the aggressive carpet nem and now Im super nervous to put it in my tank!
What size tank?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as my 180 just not as deep. I'd probably be nervous. I lost hundreds $ in fish to mine. It was a pretty big nem tho, probably at least 10 inches accross
Yeah this one is 6 inches. Im not sure what to do with it!

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@littlefoxx I just got this carpet off a fellow Reefer, his trick is to place it in a Tupperware, with a rock as the base, and sand over the rock.
It grew to 15” in his care, before he sold it to me.
Never moved. It’s still acclimating to my tank.
DT is 24” by 24” for reference.
5552879E-6A25-41D7-98ED-E6E9121C3E59.jpeg
BB3DCB36-6B7D-47D0-BBFB-E2FD820C3735.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@littlefoxx I just got this carpet off a fellow Reefer, his trick is to place it in a Tupperware, with a rock as the base, and sand over the rock.
It grew to 15” in his care, before he sold it to me.
Never moved. It’s still acclimating to my tank.
DT is 24” by 24” for reference.
5552879E-6A25-41D7-98ED-E6E9121C3E59.jpeg
BB3DCB36-6B7D-47D0-BBFB-E2FD820C3735.jpeg
Does it keep them from eating fish?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back