My New IM Nano 20 - Nano Build

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!

This is my second reef tank and I am starting it because I was ready to expand from my old setup which was an Aqueon Evolve 8.

This time around I am choosing to play it smart and try to buy the better/best equipment I can afford as I am ready to implement it into my tank.

Startup Equipment:
  • Innovative Marine Nano 20 w/ stock Equipment
  • Reefbreeder's Value 115W LED Fixture
  • Eheim Jager 75W TruTemp Heater
I am holding off on a skimmer for now since my college student budget prevents me from spending a lot all at once. I hope to have a skimmer, media tumbler (probably the IM one), an auto top off system, and some vortechs as well as a controller at some point. Right now I'm making due with water changes and careful parameter monitoring.

Here's my current progression:

256500-ded70507d29f40059470730f786b1e82.jpg

I started out with laying out my rock into the aquascape I wanted to go with. I decided to use BRS Reefsaver because I wanted to avoid the troubles I have had in the past with rock sourced from my LFS and I also wanted to do my part in making our hobby better for the environment.

256501-2b29aa42bff24ac6a9a23f4c334e625f.jpg

256502-ca69e83a99b1b98dd344ceb8308b7b43.jpg

I then tested everything out with the light turned on. In order to hang the light, I made a custom hanging stand out of 3/4 inch pvc and painted it black. Overall I am very pleased with the stand and would recommend the design to anyone who would want to hang a similar light fixture. I then filled the tank with sand and then saltwater. I used caribsea Arag Alive Fiji Pink in the more coarse grain size for my sand.

256503-5f7e02d715759685af736dde979202ad.jpg

Once everything cleared, I let the tank cycle for around a week or so. My water was looking really good and all the parameters were where they should be.

256504-71a55722aa29eb9773c2ac1a5dcc66ea.jpg

Once I was sure that everything with the tank was suitable, I moved over some corals from my old tank. The first two corals for this tank are some cheapo zoas and a "beginner's chalice". I'm not sure on the actual names of the corals but I will post some closeup picture later if anyone would like to ID them.

Overall I am really excited about this tank and its future. As my second tank I hope to avoid all the rookie mistakes I made with my first one and I also hope to continue learning about reef-keeping as a whole.

If you have any suggestions or comments, please feel free to share!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a couple of videos concerning my reef tank and uploaded them to my youtube channel. Please check them out and subscribe if you want!

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been over a year since I last posted. If you want to see how my tank is doing, check out my instagram. I do daily posts on my reeftank there.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back