My new mandarin goes to the water surface in the evenings!!

davilahope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my small mandarin for only 6 days and she has been swimming at water surface for at least 3 of the last 6 nights/evenings before she goes to sleep.. she can't swim very well up there I dont understand why she does that!!??

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my small mandarin for only 6 days and she has been swimming at water surface for at least 3 of the last 6 nights/evenings before she goes to sleep.. she can't swim very well up there I dont understand why she does that!!??
Did you QT this fish?

Oxygen levels in the water are greater at the top of the tank. Fish that have gills that are afflicted by parasites seek oxygen as the parasites keep the gills from functioning properly.

Could also be ammonia burn or flukes.

astraycat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you QT this fish?

Oxygen levels in the water are greater at the top of the tank. Fish that have gills that are afflicted by parasites seek oxygen as the parasites keep the gills from functioning properly.

How does one successfully QT a mandarin?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish...?

Probably TTM is the best method to use on them. I personally don't have one, so I can't say one way or another. I know that they tend to be sensitive to things like CP or copper.

OP
OP
D

davilahope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you QT this fish?

No I did not qt her I got her from algae barn.. if you read my other thread that might help you help me

Toofattofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mandarin used do this occasionally. It seems that it was sleeping and drifting in current. It swims perfectly well during the day so I don't think it's a swim bladder or other internal issue. Every now and then it would be suddenly awoken and would be startled and try to jump out of the tank.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When lights go low the pairs I've had have swam up to the surface as part of heir mating dance, not sure if yours is trying to do something like that or what, but they do that.

Mandarin is about the only fish I personally do not qt, they are supposed to be pretty resistant to most typical bad things, though that's just what I do.

I don't personally put much thought into them eating frozen, I make sure they have pods.

jhOU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen my mandarin do this as well at lights out, she seemed to be pecking at the surface. I’ve had my mandarin for about 3 months, I did successfully complete ttm QT with her, and I QT everything wet. Not sure what the behavior is, but i’m curious to know as well. She’s still healthy and happy.

OP
OP
D

davilahope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen my mandarin do this as well at lights out, she seemed to be pecking at the surface. I’ve had my mandarin for about 3 months, I did successfully complete ttm QT with her, and I QT everything wet. Not sure what the behavior is, but i’m curious to know as well. She’s still healthy and happy.
Mine seems happy and healthy too but I've only had her for 8 days today

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Mandarin of 7 months does that from time to time. It’s perfectly normal for Mandarins. Read it has something to do with drifting while looking for a mate in the wild.

E227578A-0A76-4FA0-8949-8DF444131AEC.jpeg

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have plenty of pods, your mandarin will eat. If not, check out "Paul B" to see how he feeds his mandarins. The guy is creative.

OP
OP
D

davilahope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have plenty of pods, your mandarin will eat. If not, check out "Paul B" to see how he feeds his mandarins. The guy is creative.
Where can I find Paul b? Facebook? Instagram? YouTube? Mine is eating pods but she also eats prepared foods I just dont like my nitrate level climbing up as I feed her prepared foods

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can I find Paul b? Facebook? Instagram? YouTube? Mine is eating pods but she also eats prepared foods I just dont like my nitrate level climbing up as I feed her prepared foods

Search for "Paul B" here on R2R and you will find him.

Nitrates can be over 50 and your fish will be fine. How high are yours?

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 18ppm I'm more worried about my seahorse I should keep it below 20ppm for him

Seahorses have special requirements but your mandarin is fine with nitrates at 18. You may have to clean your glass more often but your fish don't mind seeing you do a little extra work for them. :eek:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back