Clownfish: injury or swim bladder issues?

AlohaJacklyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this clownfish (onyx percula) for 3 years. She seemed to be biting at the clay pot, which i assumed would mean she would lay eggs soon. However the last two days, i noticed her swimming was irregular. Shes staying upright (nose to the sky) most of the time and staying very close to the ehater but when swimming, she suddenly goes belly up. When i get close, she starts swimming normally for a while.

I clean my tanks often and do water changes every 4 days or so. I did an 80% water change today and a two hours later, i checked the parameters and my nitrate hr and ammonia was high. Super confusing. All of my other clown tanks are in perfect parameters.

Ive isolated her for now. Dumped and cleaned the tank 100%. Got new filters and everything.

I have zero experience with bladder disease so im not sure if its this or possible injury? What can i do? Im determined to make sure she lives.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
possibly egg bound ? lets call the experts #fishmedic
while you wait ,try to get short video /pic for experts , best wishes

OP
OP
AlohaJacklyn

AlohaJacklyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept trying to add the video to the original post but its not showing up so trying again on this comment.

OP
OP
AlohaJacklyn

AlohaJacklyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20240314_132306.mp4
    72.1 MB

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
did not work, can you upload to utube ?
edit : was able to see the quickshare myself

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep trying to attach the video but its not showing up Try this

I don’t see the swelling normally associated with swim bladder issues, but maybe. Both fish seem agitated and breathing a bit fast…that may be a function of you being right there videoing them.
It looks like the tank has good circulation, but is there aeration, with bubbles breaking the surface?
If it is swim bladder, there really is no cure, despite what you’ll read online. Epsom salts are useless in marine aquariums, the water already contains lots of that salt. Likewise, feeding peas is a cure for stomach bloating in goldfish, but I hear people suggest that for marine fish all the time…..

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious - you said your ammonia was high 'what was it?' To me it looks like a toxic issue - for a clown you've added 3 years ago. Did you happen to add non-quarantined fish? (and what test kit did you use?)

OP
OP
AlohaJacklyn

AlohaJacklyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the hanna checkers but honestly, i think it was a false reading. I checked again and it was normal ‍♀️ I did talk with a clown fish breeder and she suggested.It may be trapped air from eating from the surface period she suggested that I put him in a isolation box, upside down and put it at the bottom of the tank for 2 days. This is supposed to prevent them from sucking in too much air while eating at the surface. He is a fat fish so he does eat quickly. This must have been the problem because he is swimming normally now and all looks well. Thank goodness I'm glad it was not an illness or injury Because I would have been devastated. If you see anyone have this issue in the future, you can pass along this information So they don't treat them unnecessarily.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please keep us updated in 2 days that all is still good, glad to hear... :)
@Jay Hemdal ,good info here ?... ;)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
swallowed air is maybe a possibility. I wonder if it gulped air because of low oxygen? I’d try adding the aeration I mentioned.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back