My new Platinum Clown

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick shot of the new platinum i picked up today. It took to the RBTA within seconds of being placed in the tank. Today the platinum was introduced to a juvi Gold striped maroon clown. They are getting along marvelously so far and it is my hope that they will become a pair in the future. It will be a long road, but given the size of the percula vs the maroon, the chances will be good. Temporarily they are staying with the Picasso and Black Ocellaris I have already paired up.

platinum1small.jpg

OP
OP
Pitcom

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... I'm glad he's aclimating well.

The platinum's condition was the best fish i have ever gotten from ORA. The bag had a ton of water and the fish was swimming like crazy inside. It never missed a beat when it went into the new system.

OP
OP
Pitcom

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can not wait to pick a pair up

I had the opportunity to pick up a pair, but i really wanted to try and breed one of these guys with a gold striped maroon. Today was the first day this fish ate anything i put in the tank. I was starting to worry, but he housed down half a cube of blood worms today. Please post pics if you end up getting a pair.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.. haven't heard of any perc x GSM breeding pairs. Have you?

I mean, they're each in a different genus (amphiprion v. premnas). And maroons tend to get bigger than percs, so I'm not sure what you meant by this:
given the size of the percula vs the maroon, the chances will be good.
If you've read anything on perc x GSM matches, would you point me in that direction? I'm genuinely curious about this and not trying to dissuade you by asking for proof or anything.. don't take my inquiry the wrong way. :)

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very beautiful picture!! However, why in the world would you want to attempt to pair it up with a GSM? It's physically impossible for them to breed, being as how they're totally different species of clownfish. You're running quite the risk of the GSM killing a very expensive Platinum, IMO.

Steve Ruddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mm.. haven't heard of any perc x GSM breeding pairs. Have you?

I mean, they're each in a different genus (amphiprion v. premnas). And maroons tend to get bigger than percs, so I'm not sure what you meant by this:
Quote:

Very beautiful picture!! However, why in the world would you want to attempt to pair it up with a GSM? It's physically impossible for them to breed, being as how they're totally different species of clownfish. You're running quite the risk of the GSM killing a very expensive Platinum, IMO.

Yes it already has been done. I have a pair of A. perecula x P. biaculeatus. They were bred by a company in FL. I forget their name but they were wiped out by a hurricane and rebuilt and then another hit. I don't remember what type of name they gave them but when they were young they had a more perc like shape with a darker more maroon like color. Now they look more like a maroon clown but you can still see a little perc. They are about 3 years old now and paired. I have not noticed any spawn but don't pay much attention to them. I'm sure I could get them to breed. Here are some photo's.

BTW very nice looking fish!

Last edited:

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it already has been done. I have a pair of A. perecula x P. biaculeatus. They were bred by a company in FL. I forget their name but they were wiped out by a hurricane and rebuilt and then another hit. I don't remember what type of name they gave them but when they were young they had a more perc like shape with a darker more maroon like color. Now they look more like a maroon clown but you can still see a little perc. They are about 3 years old now and paired. I have not noticed any spawn but don't pay much attention to them. I'm sure I could get them to breed. I will try and post some photo's
I highly doubt you will get these hybrids to breed. Hybrids are by nature sterile. Like a mule. This is what makes them a hybrid and not a new species. Species is defined as being reproductively issolated. Meaning it can only produce viable, fertile offspring with the same species. When you breed two species together you get a sterile hybrid, if you got a vable offspring then that would be scientific prof that the two individuals were not of different species as was originally though. This is also why when you see the latin name of a hybrid it includes two specis designations seperated by an x.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back