Clownfish breeder help

AlohaJacklyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bonded pair of platinum perculas in my 300 gallon tank. Those had been there for a while and i had zero intention of them being breeding pairs. Tonight, one of them somehow jumped out of the tank and i found it after it had dried and shriveled. I cant tell for sure if it was a female because they were identical but i THINK it was because the female tended to be more active and liked to be frisky/splash.

I have this black snowflake that was given to me last week. I had not introduced it to anyone yet so its been alone. Its fairly large in size so im assuming its at least 3 years old.

The snowflake has been hanging out in its pot since i got it. After the platinum partner died, i was worried about it possibly getting depressed. I had a female get sick and die after her male died so im always afraid of this happening again.

Forgetting that the platinum was a percula, i put it in the tank with the snowflake and the percula IMMEDIATELY took over the pot, super happy, biting at the walls of the clay pot, doing the shimmy/scoot across the pot walls.

The snowflake did nip at the percula a little but the percula nipped back and then went right back to scooting in the pot. The snowflake seems timid but they both seem to like eachother and are hanging out inside the pot together (they did this within minutes of being introduced). The percula keeps doing the shimmy to the snowflake.

I cant tell which one may be female Or if they are both female. How the hell can i be sure

I didnt technically want to pair up a perc with the Ocellaris bc ypu said you didnt like them but the onyx isnt doing well so i dont think i can pair it with him.

I just dont know enough about their personalities to know if this is a good thing or if i should just isolate the percula until i can get another one.

I read a male cannot turn back into female and im confused on the genders for the ones that were given to me. Based on the observation of these two, is it possible to determine if they are both female.. or if the platinum is a male?

Lastly, i know some people dont like the cross between a percula/Ocellaris so should i just isolate the percula and wait until i get another percula to intoduce it to? Or do these two appear to jive?

Couldnt upload here so had to post on tiktok

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clowns can turn from male to female, but not female to male. The larger, more aggressive fish will generally be or become the female. If they are both female, they will likely fight and one will die or need to be removed. Best bet is to always add a smaller, juvenile clown versus the existing clown in the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back