My new reef tank and updates

rusty shackleford yes

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 22, 2025
Messages
196
Reaction score
182
Location
austin
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cycled fluval 13.5 and have previous experience with soft corals in my family’s old reef tank. Currently I have 1 emerald crab, 3 hermit crabs, 1 neon blue cleaner goby, 1 small mangrove, a condy anemone, and a neon green leather coral my Petco gave to me for free. The anemone has really opened up and settled himself at the edge of his rock. The leather is shedding and my crabs only come out at night. The neon blue cleaner goby, while at first really shy, is now out all the time and exploring the tank! I clean off my mangrove’s leaves every once in a while.

For future livestock, I might get a lone clownfish and a royal gramma. I would also love to make my aquarium LPS and softy dominated. I am in desperate need of snails but nobody has any nearby due to the freeze. I’m going to get a pincushion urchin from the LFS and a cleaner shrimp. I do dosing and test pretty much every other day. Ammonia is always low and nitrates are a little bit higher than they should be so I’m going to do a water change soon. I’m on a really tight budget until someone hires me so I probably won’t get fish or cool corals for a bit.

Anyways, I hope y’all enjoyed reading. I just want to share my journey with y’all!
 
I have a cycled fluval 13.5 and have previous experience with soft corals in my family’s old reef tank. Currently I have 1 emerald crab, 3 hermit crabs, 1 neon blue cleaner goby, 1 small mangrove, a condy anemone, and a neon green leather coral my Petco gave to me for free. The anemone has really opened up and settled himself at the edge of his rock. The leather is shedding and my crabs only come out at night. The neon blue cleaner goby, while at first really shy, is now out all the time and exploring the tank! I clean off my mangrove’s leaves every once in a while.

For future livestock, I might get a lone clownfish and a royal gramma. I would also love to make my aquarium LPS and softy dominated. I am in desperate need of snails but nobody has any nearby due to the freeze. I’m going to get a pincushion urchin from the LFS and a cleaner shrimp. I do dosing and test pretty much every other day. Ammonia is always low and nitrates are a little bit higher than they should be so I’m going to do a water change soon. I’m on a really tight budget until someone hires me so I probably won’t get fish or cool corals for a bit.

Anyways, I hope y’all enjoyed reading. I just want to share my journey with y’all!
Rusty,
Welcome to r2r. Consider posting a tank journal in the forum for members tank.

Also, I live in South Austin near the Salt Lick and need a part time mariculture apprentice. I will PM you details.
A Cajun Aggie in Austin
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef! You should create a tank thread so we can follow the progress of your tank!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new