My new tank does it again!

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my newly cycled tank since June. I only have two lps corals in there and it’s having another bacteria bloom. Nitrate is as bottom out and I don’t want my meat coral starve. Should I continue feeding reef Roids, reef energy and dosing nitrate and skimmer on? Or Should I let it run it’s course with weekly water changes?

It’s been about a week, still cloudy!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely leave the skimmer on. How much or how often do you feed those products? I add way less than manufacturers recommend (like two little scoopes twice a week to a 155). Maybe you don't need to stop feeding but just cut back a bit?

azreefkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do your LPS corals look? Are they showing signs of stress? Receding?

I've had bacterial blooms before and I have to say, oftentimes my corals looked just fine.

Water changes help, but with bacterial blooms, you can throw gallons of water at the problem and bacterial have a remarkable way of reproducing as fast as you dilute them from the water column. It's a very expensive way to solve the problem, especially if your levels are already testing "good".

If it's truly bacteria and not dust from crushed coral substrate then you may want to try a UV filter. I've had great luck knocking back bacteria with UV to clear the water. I think I picked one up on Amazon for about $80 and within 2 days my water was clear again. I would also limit feeding to give them less fuel to reproduce.

Review your filtration in general - filter socks, carbon, skimmer, refugium, etc. Is there anything there also fueling the bacteria such as leftover/uneaten coral food, live rock, etc?

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely leave the skimmer on. How much or how often do you feed those products? I add way less than manufacturers recommend (like two little scoopes twice a week to a 155). Maybe you don't need to stop feeding but just cut back a bit?
Daily

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do your LPS corals look? Are they showing signs of stress? Receding?

I've had bacterial blooms before and I have to say, oftentimes my corals looked just fine.

Water changes help, but with bacterial blooms, you can throw gallons of water at the problem and bacterial have a remarkable way of reproducing as fast as you dilute them from the water column. It's a very expensive way to solve the problem, especially if your levels are already testing "good".

If it's truly bacteria and not dust from crushed coral substrate then you may want to try a UV filter. I've had great luck knocking back bacteria with UV to clear the water. I think I picked one up on Amazon for about $80 and within 2 days my water was clear again. I would also limit feeding to give them less fuel to reproduce.

Review your filtration in general - filter socks, carbon, skimmer, refugium, etc. Is there anything there also fueling the bacteria such as leftover/uneaten coral food, live rock, etc?
Corals look ok but not great. I am pretty sure it’s not dust. I might try the UV.

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to not let your nitrates and phosphates bottomed out too long. Dino feeds on that.... and can be annoying to get rid of.

When my nitrates and phosphates were undetectable, i fed heavier, as well as dosed nitrate / phosphate.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to not let your nitrates and phosphates bottomed out too long. Dino feeds on that.... and can be annoying to get rid of.

When my nitrates and phosphates were undetectable, i fed heavier, as well as dosed nitrate / phosphate.
My phosphate is at around .07 and nitrate is 0. Should I start dosing even though the water still cloudy?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your feeding all that daily then I would say way to much for just two corals
Once a week or maybe twice at the most and you can spot feed with no flow.

Phosphate is a bit high IMO.

If you do a UV do your homework and make sure you get a proper sized unit with the right amount of flow or the unit is a waste of money.
For bacteria and algaes its all about faster flow, Parasites is all about slow flow.
Follow the chart on the UV unit.

Give us the total stats please.
Tank and sump size
All parameters
All current filtration in use.
Livestock?
Do you have fish?
Do you have a clean up crew?
What LPS corals ?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and
what lights are you using?
Whats the color settings? All white, blue combination of if LED.
Whats the intensity 100%
How many hours a day?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back