Getting your tank dirty..

mnsean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will over feeding with water changes eventually elevate nitrate? Will it help with pH at all? So I have clean tank. All parameters are bit too perfect and clean. Nitrate is pretty much at zero. Thinking about over feeding. I would still like todo 15% water change every week. Any thoughts? Will over feeding also help with elevating pH? It’s right at 8…

I have soft and LPS corals, few fish and inverts

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will over feeding with water changes eventually elevate nitrate? Will it help with pH at all? So I have clean tank. All parameters are bit too perfect and clean. Nitrate is pretty much at zero. Thinking about over feeding. I would still like todo 15% water change every week. Any thoughts? Will over feeding also help with elevating pH? It’s right at 8…

if anything it will reduce ph from the break down of organics.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do the corals look?

You can feed more and reduce WC's if you want to boost the nutrient levels. Is your tank new, have you had any algae issues in the past?

I feel that when I started feeding more and reducing WC it worked great for a while then algae took over again.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overfeeding would definitely raise nitrates. That's how many of us got our elevated nitrates to begin with.

Feeding generally has little to do with PH. In the reef tank, the PH is mostly determined by CO2 concentration. Running fresh outside air through your skimmer is one of the easiest ways to increase PH; you can also increase algae growth (preferably in a refugium or ATS) to use up more CO2 and increase PH. CO2 scrubbers and kalkwasser reactors and calcium reactors all increase PH as well, though of the three I'd only recommend a CO2 scrubber since you don't indicate a calcium deficiency.

Be careful about deliberate overfeeding, as it's quite easy to overdo it.

Most importantly - why do you want to raise nitrates? Do your corals look to be suffering (good reason to try to do it) or are you trying to hit some perceived "proper" nitrate number (bad reason)?

OP
OP
M

mnsean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do the corals look?

You can feed more and reduce WC's if you want to boost the nutrient levels. Is your tank new, have you had any algae issues in the past?

I feel that when I started feeding more and reducing WC it worked great for a while then algae took over again.
Corals are looking good!! All very happy. I have some green hair but my inverts and one tang has been doing decent job keeping it down. Almost think inverts don’t have enough to eat…

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed smaller amounts more often so that the fish poop more, but not so much more that it remains uneaten and rots in the water, that will degrade water quality and fuel algae.

OP
OP
M

mnsean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overfeeding would definitely raise nitrates. That's how many of us got our elevated nitrates to begin with.

Feeding generally has little to do with PH. In the reef tank, the PH is mostly determined by CO2 concentration. Running fresh outside air through your skimmer is one of the easiest ways to increase PH; you can also increase algae growth (preferably in a refugium or ATS) to use up more CO2 and increase PH. CO2 scrubbers and kalkwasser reactors and calcium reactors all increase PH as well, though of the three I'd only recommend a CO2 scrubber since you don't indicate a calcium deficiency.

Be careful about deliberate overfeeding, as it's quite easy to overdo it.

Most importantly - why do you want to raise nitrates? Do your corals look to be suffering (good reason to try to do it) or are you trying to hit some perceived "proper" nitrate number (bad reason)?
I had some diatom, but I took care of that really fast. Currently I have some green hair, but my inverts and one tang has been keeping that mow down pretty good. Rarely see actual “growth” and if I do see some fuzz growing, it’s gone in few days.

This tank is new. Only 3 month old. But I’ve been adding lots of corals and fish. Trying this tank as growth tank..

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some diatom, but I took care of that really fast. Currently I have some green hair, but my inverts and one tang has been keeping that mow down pretty good. Rarely see actual “growth” and if I do see some fuzz growing, it’s gone in few days.

This tank is new. Only 3 month old. But I’ve been adding lots of corals and fish. Trying this tank as growth tank..
So since you are seeing some algae growth and tang/cuc taking care of it, just go slow with whatever you decide. It looks like you are on the right track for tank maturity. I wouldn't chase a number since you are getting some algae growth and that is feeding the critters in your tank.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed smaller amounts more often so that the fish poop more, but not so much more that it remains uneaten and rots in the water, that will degrade water quality and fuel algae.
yeah that is funny how there is absolutely a difference between poop and uneaten food ( with respect to water quality)
…makes no sense chemically but there is something to it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

You dont want to overfeed however increase time between water changes which will allow increase

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back