My new tank

rob92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1388030239.373253.jpg

Here's my new 55 gallon tank, well new to me lol. I would like to have a sump but there is no room within the stand due to there being shelves on the one side plus there isn't enough head room so I was thinking about doing a remote sump. Has anyone had to do this before?

My plans are to build a stand for a ten gallon tank that we have in between my new tank and my girls 50 gallon. This stand would house the sumo and everything needed for the 55.

Hope this made sense, I'll post a pic of the actual placement of where it's at now.

OP
OP
rob92

rob92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks the top two parts pull out so it's like a little desk where you can place items as your working on the tank.

OP
OP
rob92

rob92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the picture with all three tanks (I built the stand that the freshwater tank is on)
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1388031206.308460.jpg

Here is the new stand for my new 55 marine tank.( this shows the pull out tables)
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1388031247.716063.jpg

Here are the two drawers under the pull out tables
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1388031319.214198.jpg

And here is the bottom section. (The one side has shelves and the other side is clear but no room for a sump)
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1388031382.899855.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1388031396.201254.jpg

OP
OP
rob92

rob92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I was thinking about building a box/stand for in between the tanks dedicated for a sump and just sit the 10 gallon on that instead of the rolling desk it's already on. Also I did the test to see if the tank is tempered and sadly it is so I'm gonna have to do a hob overflow. :(

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool stand! I would mount my controller and power bar in one of those drawers. :)

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a remote sump is really no different than having it directly under the tank. My sump is actually about 10 feet away in another room sitting on the floor. I actually prefer it that way since it gives me a ton of room to work and doesn't cause any issues with excessive humidity under the tank. You just need to make sure your return pump is strong enough to pump back to the tank and that your sump is lower than your display tank.

OP
OP
rob92

rob92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a remote sump is really no different than having it directly under the tank. My sump is actually about 10 feet away in another room sitting on the floor. I actually prefer it that way since it gives me a ton of room to work and doesn't cause any issues with excessive humidity under the tank. You just need to make sure your return pump is strong enough to pump back to the tank and that your sump is lower than your display tank.

Nice. Do you have any pics of it to share some ideas lol

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure.....here you go.......you can see the 1" pvc running off to the right. It wraps around my furnace and through the wall about 10 feet away.

Attachments

• IMG_2134.jpg
    IMG_2134.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 130

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have the return pump connected to the battery side (the other side is strictly a surge protector). Unfortunately with the amount of draw from the pump, I only get about 25 minutes. I use it strictly for those times where the power stays off for a few minutes at a time. The other positive is the audible alarm that sounds when it is running off battery....if the power goes out in the middle of the night it would wake me up. Even without the battery backup, the system would stop and start without any flooding issues though (it has been tested many times).

OP
OP
rob92

rob92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice and question. I want to be able to have some frags in my tank not much though, I was wondering do I need to dose the tank or could I get by by doing water changes more often with reef crystals?

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice and question. I want to be able to have some frags in my tank not much though, I was wondering do I need to dose the tank or could I get by by doing water changes more often with reef crystals?

It is possible all you would need is frequent water changes but you would need to do all of the water tests to verify. You never want to dose anything you aren't testing for anyways.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back