Excessive waste water when making RODI water

jreising15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, new user getting ready to cycle a 50 gallon FOWLR tank. I’m experienced with freshwater but this is my first marine tank.

My question is regarding the process for making RODI water and how much waste water is produced. I’d say I’m producing about 9 gallons of waste water for every gallon of product water.

I’m using a 5-stage RODI system from Bulk Reef Supply. This is the water-saver model with 2 membranes. My water pressure is a problem, it hovers around 55 PSI, and this is with the booster pump running.

I’m looking for ideas on how to reduce the amount of waste water. I hate that so much water is going right down the drain. Thanks for any helpful ideas.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ratio you’re looking for is about 4 to 1, waste/product. Make sure your flow restrict matches the gpd of your membrane, and if your water source psi at the input is too low it no workie good

Upvote 0

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got the product from BRS, just contact them and say what you said in the first post and they should help figure it out.
The support is basically the main reason to buy from BRS in the first place.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jreising15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got the product from BRS, just contact them and say what you said in the first post and they should help figure it out.
The support is basically the main reason to buy from BRS in the first place.
I did this and they advised me to buy a booster pump, which I did. It only raised the pressure by about 5 psi. Was curious about other solutions.

Upvote 0

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to adjust the pressure up on the Booster Pump. I run mine between 75 and 80 PSI. Also you need the “C” Shape clips on all your fittings. This is to prevent flooding, from a fitting coming loose from the extra pressure and vibration. https://a.co/d/1cOghQG

Upvote 0

Dbartlett727

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same water saver system from BRS and it’s an almost spot on 1:1 ratio, with about 62-65 psi showing on the gauge. That sounds way too far off to be normal. Make sure your flush valve is in the right position. It should be perpendicular with the hose when filtering water, and turned to face the same direction as the hose when flushing.

Upvote 0

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same water saver system from BRS and it’s an almost spot on 1:1 ratio, with about 62-65 psi showing on the gauge. That sounds way too far off to be normal. Make sure your flush valve is in the right position. It should be perpendicular with the hose when filtering water, and turned to face the same direction as the hose when flushing.
1:1 is not enough waste. Your membrane will be short lived
And yeah good point. If the flush valve is in the flush position… that might be op’s issue

Upvote 0

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have no hardness in your feedwater, plumbing membranes in series with a flow restrictor sized to produce a 1:1 is not a good idea. You might "save some water" but you'll definitely shorten the life span of the membranes. If all you're trying to do is reduce water use, just put a tighter flow restrictor on a single membrane. Same effect.

Upvote 0

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this and they advised me to buy a booster pump, which I did. It only raised the pressure by about 5 psi. Was curious about other solutions.

What booster pump? It's been a while but when I installed my RO buddy booster pump my input pressure was 42psi with the pump I'm getting 90 plus. Gauge jumps around so not sure exactly but it's around 90 on the gauge on the membrane housing also.

Upvote 0

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What booster pump? It's been a while but when I installed my RO buddy booster pump my input pressure was 42psi with the pump I'm getting 90 plus. Gauge jumps around so not sure exactly but it's around 90 on the gauge on the membrane housing also.
Aquatec 8800

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jreising15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I've got the flush valve positioned correctly. I'm not sure what the issue is but I appreciate the input.

Upvote 0

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3:1 or 4:1 is best. Get a flow restrictor. BRS stealing your money by making you buy more crap you don't need. I use waste water for my garden or refill pool during off season

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back